+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Let's share timeline, PGWP March applicant

tuwtuw

Jul 7, 2015
I was able to get a PGWP with my friends by doing a flagpole at Rainbow Bridge, Niagara Falls. The entire process was pretty seamless, just a bit of wait for processing on the Canadian side. We were able to finish the whole process in ~3 hours. Here's how it went:

> From the Rainbow Bridge on the Canadian side there's a door marked "To the US" for pedestrians. There's a fee of 50 cents here to cross the bridge. You go through a turnstile at which point you're out of Canada technically.
> Walked over the bridge to the American side (which was a very nice walk), told the officers at primary inspection there I wanted to apply for a WP in Canada and would like to get a flagpole. They asked for my passport, went through it. Asked if I had a visa (I did have one from previous visits -- though it does not matter I believe, even if you don't have one). They then issue a white paper which is addressed to the CBSA with your details written on it and mentions "Flagpole". After giving me the paper, the officer directed me to walk back the same away and even said that this (flagpole) won't affect potential future entries into the US. All of this took 5 minutes tops since there was no line up.
> Walk back over the bridge to the Canadian side. Tell the officer at the primary inspection that I want to apply for a PGWP. They check the study permit, the white flagpole paper from the US side and issue another paper which says I'm there to apply for a PGWP. Get sent to secondary.
> Wait for about an hour or so at secondary. Name gets called up, officer asks for letter from the university and transcript. Was also asked when I completed school (to make sure I'm within the 90 day mark I guess). Get told to sit again. After a while, they ask you to pay $255 nearby and wait. Eventually after a few minutes, they issued a 3 year open PGWP.

For what it's worth, I'd recommend going in there early (before 9 AM) since the border tends to get pretty busy after that with tourists.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tuwtuw said:
I was able to get a PGWP with my friends by doing a flagpole at Rainbow Bridge, Niagara Falls. The entire process was pretty seamless, just a bit of wait for processing on the Canadian side. We were able to finish the whole process in ~3 hours. Here's how it went:

> From the Rainbow Bridge on the Canadian side there's a door marked "To the US" for pedestrians. There's a fee of 50 cents here to cross the bridge. You go through a turnstile at which point you're out of Canada technically.
> Walked over the bridge to the American side (which was a very nice walk), told the officers at primary inspection there I wanted to apply for a WP in Canada and would like to get a flagpole. They asked for my passport, went through it. Asked if I had a visa (I did have one from previous visits -- though it does not matter I believe, even if you don't have one). They then issue a white paper which is addressed to the CBSA with your details written on it and mentions "Flagpole". After giving me the paper, the officer directed me to walk back the same away and even said that this (flagpole) won't affect potential future entries into the US. All of this took 5 minutes tops since there was no line up.
> Walk back over the bridge to the Canadian side. Tell the officer at the primary inspection that I want to apply for a PGWP. They check the study permit, the white flagpole paper from the US side and issue another paper which says I'm there to apply for a PGWP. Get sent to secondary.
> Wait for about an hour or so at secondary. Name gets called up, officer asks for letter from the university and transcript. Was also asked when I completed school (to make sure I'm within the 90 day mark I guess). Get told to sit again. After a while, they ask you to pay $255 nearby and wait. Eventually after a few minutes, they issued a 3 year open PGWP.

For what it's worth, I'd recommend going in there early (before 9 AM) since the border tends to get pretty busy after that with tourists.
Tuwtuw, thanks for sharing your experience on this forum. This will boost some members confidence on this forum to go flagpoling.

Cheers!

GAJA

Feb 18, 2015
Hey guys help please,
I have OWP (however, I do not have TRV) which will expire on July 31, 2015. If I will do flagpole do I need to have TRV or just OWP will be enough?
I thought if I will cross border I need TRV and I know to live inside Canada OPW is enough.
Who did flagpole, did you have TRV as well? or you guys had just your Permit (study/work)

Thank you in advance,

tuwtuw

Jul 7, 2015
GAJA said:
Hey guys help please,
I have OWP (however, I do not have TRV) which will expire on July 31, 2015. If I will do flagpole do I need to have TRV or just OWP will be enough?
I thought if I will cross border I need TRV and I know to live inside Canada OPW is enough.
Who did flagpole, did you have TRV as well? or you guys had just your Permit (study/work)

Thank you in advance,
I had a valid TRV/SP on reentry. I'm not a lawyer (so take this with a grain of salt) but the law states that:

190. (1) Visa exemption – purpose of entry – A foreign national is exempt from the requirement to obtain a temporary resident visa if they are seeking to enter and remain in Canada solely
(f) to re-enter Canada following a visit solely to the United States or St.Pierre and Miquelon, if they
(i) held a study permit or a work permit that was issued before they left Canada on such a visit or were authorized to enter and remain in Canada as a temporary resident (read: visitor), and
(ii) return to Canada by the end of the period initially authorized for their stay or any extension to it
Which seems to indicate that TRV is not needed as long as you have valid status.

tipsy

Oct 6, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
24-09-2018
Doc's Request.
03-01-2019
AOR Received.
18-10-2018
Med's Request
30-11-2018
Med's Done....
01-12-2018
Interview........
30-04-2019
tuwtuw said:
I had a valid TRV/SP on reentry. I'm not a lawyer (so take this with a grain of salt) but the law states that:

Which seems to indicate that TRV is not needed as long as you have valid status.
did they issue you a new TRV? if not, when is your TRV as STUDY expires?

krish2015

Jul 6, 2015
tuwtuw said:

@tuwtuw: Quick question: Did you apply online for pgwp as well? if yes, did they ask anything regarding that..This question has been answered before.. just getting another...Thanks!!

lcnana

Jan 28, 2015
Do you guys think all OWP put in the same queue? I applied SOWP online on March 28th but i still haven't heard of anything yet. I am holding a PGWP now and my common law partner is a PGWP holder too.....we are just getting very anxious as day goes by :( We got an update on Jun.6th but that's it......

Nandini09

Dec 4, 2012
hi

I dont know if OWP and PGWP are in the same queue. but one of my friends who applied on april 8th got their OWP last week.

Try calling CIC about it. May be they can help.

michaelmevin

Sep 18, 2014
i have applied for work permit on march 29th after i got lmia approved inside canada. It has been 101 days and not yet heard from cic as i called them they told they are only processing march 21st. Can anyone help me regarding this.

tuwtuw

Jul 7, 2015
tipsy said:
did they issue you a new TRV? if not, when is your TRV as STUDY expires?
No they didn't issue a TRV. My TRV and SP expire on the same day (less than a month that point). I have to apply for a new TRV.

@krush2015: Yes I did, had a pending application with CIC. They didn't bother asking anything about it.

pama

May 10, 2015
Hai friends ,

i applied my pgwp on april 4th.its almost 95 days now. i got blank update every month after i applied. no request for extra $100 .i saw many people who applied before me(march) are still waiting.one of my friends who applied on april 2nd got work permit 2 weeks back.probably they will process our application in next 2 weeks.this forum is amazing and helpful. :)

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pama said:
Hai friends ,

i applied my pgwp on april 4th.its almost 95 days now. i got blank update every month after i applied. no request for extra $100 .i saw many people who applied before me(march) are still waiting.one of my friends who applied on april 2nd got work permit 2 weeks back.probably they will process our application in next 2 weeks.this forum is amazing and helpful. :)
We are glad you are enjoying the forum. Hopefully, you will soon get your PGWP.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers!

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1Ahmad1 said:
For flag-poling, is it compulsory to have a US visa if you are not from a visa exempt country?
1Ahmad1,

You don't need a visa to the US. Hence why every flagpoler gets an administrative refusal document that they get at the US border. But make sure you SP or WP is valid.

Read page 15 & 16 for ideas and links provided to know more about the documents you need.

Good luck.

Cheers!

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
michaelmevin said:
i have applied for work permit on march 29th after i got lmia approved inside canada. It has been 101 days and not yet heard from cic as i called them they told they are only processing march 21st. Can anyone help me regarding this.
Michaelmevin,

All I could say is wait. Also, check out this LMIA link. I think you will get more help from there rather than our PGWP forum. Here it is:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/lmia-application-processing-time-t235591.0.html

Cheers!