+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing with Goods - once again as a PR (after landing on work permit)?

valy79

Star Member
Aug 10, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2010
AOR Received.
27-01-2011
File Transfer...
10-12-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13-04-2011
LANDED..........
14-07-2011
I was wondering if any of you have experience with this/ have an idea where I could get that information from...

I already "landed" in Canada on a temporary work permit back in November 2008. Meaning that I went through customs and had a list of goods I brought with me and a list with "goods to follow" (had sent 3 boxes by plane). Of course I would have needed to take all of that back when I would have gone back to my home country once the work permit would have expired.

But now I just got my PPR, and hence I'll land again (this time not temporarily but permanently...at least hopefully). I still have a lot of things back in Austria, and now I am wondering if I can now bring even more stuff to Canada (I only brought the most necessary things in 2008 since I had no idea if I would stay or not). Does anybody here know if that's possible? I am also wondering if I have to declare the things I brought back in 2008 again? (this time as bringing them in permanently so to say)?

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have no idea what the answer is, but this will be similar to my situation, only I have all my stuff here in Canada, where I am now. I am hoping I just have to go and change my status or something, but I have no idea what the process is. Can you post back here when you figure out the answer?

valy79

Star Member
Aug 10, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2010
AOR Received.
27-01-2011
File Transfer...
10-12-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13-04-2011
LANDED..........
14-07-2011
Sure, I'll post whatever I'll figure out :D (just sent off my PP today and didn't have time yet to do some research into it, but will certainly start doing that next week...)

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
congratulations!!!!!!!!!! :) as for ur question i have no idea at all sorry ::)

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Valy79,

Did you figure out anything about this process yet? I am trying to figure out now how it works to land if everything was already declared on upon previous entry with a work permit. And also about importing a car in this situation. It was declared earlier but now I need to change my status somehow and not sure if that has to be done at a border or if I can do some paperwork or something.

Hope all went well (or is going well) for you!

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
When I came to Canada initially, it was as a tourist so bought just suitcases. The rest of my stuff was back in the UK boxed up. When I got my work visa, I had my Mom ship the boxes out to me as personal goods. I had no problem, just got notification the parcels had arrived and went to the shipping office and then the customs office at Vancouver airport and collected them.

No one asked me for a copy of my visa, just my passport as identification. The customs people were great, I was in and out with my 7 boxes within a hour.

Then once again, later on I had more boxes shipped over, same thing. I have never had any problems getting my personal items shipped from the UK to Canada.

valy79

Star Member
Aug 10, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2010
AOR Received.
27-01-2011
File Transfer...
10-12-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13-04-2011
LANDED..........
14-07-2011
No, I haven't looked into it yet because I am still waiting for my passport to be returned (it got to Ft Erie on April 18th). As soon as I have it back I'm gonna call CBSA...

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks everyone! I will call the border agency and try to figure out the process...

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just wanted to say that I called the CBSA and asked about the process of landing as a PR if everything was declared previously with entering on a work permit. The person I spoke with was nice and helpful, and she said that the only thing I need to declare is anything coming after me (goods to follow) and anything I have with me when I enter that wasn't already declared. Since I have no belongings that aren't already in Canada, she said I just need to declare my car (even though it is in Canada now.) She said because it is changing from a non-permanent status to a permanent status, I need to list it as "goods to follow" and all I need is its VIN number. Then I can take care of the importing process at an office in the Canadian city I live in. Anyhow, their office was helpful and I am thankful that the landing process seems like it will be pretty easy, since almost everything was already declared.

valy79

Star Member
Aug 10, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2010
AOR Received.
27-01-2011
File Transfer...
10-12-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13-04-2011
LANDED..........
14-07-2011
Thanks for sharing that!! ;D

I finally sent them an e-mail inquiry but haven't heard back yet. But I guess I won't need that anymore now. I think my passport arrived back today as well, so time to start planning to land :)

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When I landed last night, all went well, but I am not sure I did the declaring exactly right the first time? It worked out fine, but maybe call and make sure of the process before you land...?