+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
cancan08 said:
Dear Qorax,

Just a quick question regarding POF. We are 4 in the family and we declared around 21K CAD. How much do we need to encash and the rest as a bank draft? We are from the Philippines anyway. Do we need another cash in hand aside from the 21K CAD or we take some amount from there?

Thanks!
1. Legally u r required to carry landing funds only for 4 family members (as per the table). Nothing more.
2. But practically, as much u can lay your hands on - that much the better. B'coz in a new land u do require monies.
3. Whatever u decide to carry, observe the 80-20 rule (80% in Draft, 20% in Cash).

Qorax

djpf

Jan 6, 2011
Hello,
My family is currently on the US and we would be landing in Canada by April '11. I have a few questions;

On the goods/goods to follow list..
1. Do we need to itemize all the clothing that would be brought to Canada?
2. Is it OK to include items that i haven't bought yet but am planning to buy later after landing and bring to Canada like for example, an xbox?

Just for verification,
Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport can be our POE? it does have immigration services right?

Thanks

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
djpf said:
Hello,
My family is currently on the US and we would be landing in Canada by April '11. I have a few questions;

On the goods/goods to follow list..
1. Do we need to itemize all the clothing that would be brought to Canada?
2. Is it OK to include items that i haven't bought yet but am planning to buy later after landing and bring to Canada like for example, an xbox?

Just for verification,
Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport can be our POE? it does have immigration services right?

Thanks
1. Pls read here... http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t44793.0.html
2. Yes.
3. Every Intl A/port has the Immig Services.

Qorax

djpf

Jan 6, 2011
Hi Qorax,

Thanks for the information, it'll surely help in our travel preparations. it's just a hassle to have to describe all the clothing that the family will be bringing especially since i have my wife plus 2 girls. ;D ;D

another question..

We have an account with JP Morgan Chase Bank US. Will a Bank certificate suffice? Since we are coming back to the US a few days after landing, i was thinking it would be easier than having to bring all these money to Canada then back into the US.

Again my thanks to you.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
djpf said:
Hi Qorax,

1. Thanks for the information, it'll surely help in our travel preparations. it's just a hassle to have to describe all the clothing that the family will be bringing especially since i have my wife plus 2 girls. ;D ;D

another question..

2. We have an account with JP Morgan Chase Bank US. Will a Bank certificate suffice? Since we are coming back to the US a few days after landing, i was thinking it would be easier than having to bring all these money to Canada then back into the US.

Again my thanks to you.
1. Me too... same family composition!

2. Landing Funds, pls read here... http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t39318.0.html

Qorax

C

cchabert

For those with kids here is our experience with schools:

If you're interested in the ESL Pre-School from the Catholic School System, and your plan is to be here by March this year, you should be perfectly fine to register her for the next school year that will start in September 2011, because of her date of birth. So just as I mentioned before, she'll have to be the required age by March 1 of the following year... like this:
* Pre-School if the child is 4 yrs old by 03-01 2012 *Kindergarten if child is 5 by 03-01-2012 *Grade 1 if child is 6 by 03-01-2012, and so on.
Both School Systems have an office where newcomers must register the children in order to enroll in any of their schools.
Check their websites:
http://www.cssd.ab.ca/default.asp?V_ITEM_ID=253 and http://www.cbe.ab.ca/Parents/register/default.asp
Eventhough the Preschool program is not mentioned in the Catholic website they do have it for sure. You might want to check with the Public Schools to see if they have such program available, as far as I know they only have Preschool for children with disabilities or special needs.

About preschools in churches and community centers, they usually have on-going registration until their spaces are full, then they start with the waiting lists; some places may have spots available at anytime. It is always on a first come first served basis. I think most are flexible about enrolling a child to start in any month of the school year, but that's pretty much their decision and of course depending on availability. They run with the schools calendar from September to June. All schools (church based, community center based, Catholic, Public, private) start registration in January-February for the school year that starts the next fall. However, the schools will always offer spaces to register children in Elementary, Jr High, and High School, in any month that schools are in session, because they are government regulated and they can't deny education to a child. So for those of you who are arriving in Canada during the school year, do not worry about the kids not having a school to attend, or having to wait to enroll. They should be able to enter school right after you arrive, except if it's in the summer months!!

I just found this other Preschool websites that may be of your interest:
http://www.pre-kindergartened.com/ <--- this one seems to be a privately run program with locations in some of the Public Schools, and http://www.calgaryarea.com/calgary_preschools.asp

About the car... you don't need to buy a car first... but I can certainly say that a car is usually most convenient. You'll have to see what the family dynamics will be like... for example, are you and your wife both planning to work? (keep in mind that preschool is only for 2 and a half hours a day 2, 3, or 5 days a week), Do both of you drive? If you get a job that you need to drive to, and you only have one car then your wife may have to walk or take the bus with your daughter to and from school...even in ugly weather. By the way, public transportation is pretty good and accessible, I would say it's way better than in some major cities in the US.

My advice would be: check what area of the city your are planing to live, check which schools are in the area and if they have the mentioned program available. Check community centers and churches also in the same area to see if they have preschools, check availability or waiting lists, curriculum and fees, and then hopefully find a place to live that is close, walking distance if possible, that makes it really convenient specially when there is only one car for the family, or when there is bad weather conditions (schools close very rarely!). Here it can be -40 C, 20 cm of snow, or snowing heavily.... and the kids will still go to school... people go to work... people go grocery shopping, etc..

Best of luck in your search, I hope this guides you well or at least gives you a starting point!

Peace!

sunrise11

Jan 8, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Qorax,

First off, thank you very much for setting up very helpful and informative threads in this forum. I hope you will be happy and successful and all your wishes come true in your new homeland.

I have a question which is not clear to me, although I have gone through quite a number of posts on that; Money that we bering in and the tax we have to pay.

In one post fro example you have mentioned;
“There r no taxes, levies or duties for bringing-in monies anytime in Canada. Be free to indulge.”

And in another post;
“Property: U don't need to 'declare' it - if u don't want to. Remember, here in Canada, Global Income is TAXED.”
Or
“If u aren't bringing the funds into the country - u may not report anything to CRA. But, if u do - then u r required to report it in your Annual Tax Returns, as "overseas income". U r not 'legally required to declare property' - but only the 'funds' those enter Canada. There is thus, a catch-22 situation -- if the funds enter - u would have to show its source as well!”

We are planning to land in March and we will be waiting till we get our PRC's. After that my husband will go back to home country since he doesn't want to quit his job while I should be trying to pass a number of exams to get registered and land a job afterwards. I want to know if he sends us money during the time I am studying, do we have to pay tax on this money? And how much that tax would be if he is going to transfer like 3000CAD's each month? (I am asking because he already pays tax on his income in our country.)

And what if if we bring in some 80,000 CAD's when landing and use it gradually. Do we still have to pay tax on the money itself or tax goes to the interest bank is giving us?
In general, what money that you bring in is considered as overseas income and what money we bring in is not taxable?
And my other query is about things to follow; Can we declare on the B4 that we are planning to bring in some items -likeafter two years when my hubby is joining- but change our mind and never bring them?

Thank you very much for your help.
Best regards!

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
sunrise11 said:
Dear Qorax,

First off, thank you very much for setting up very helpful and informative threads in this forum. I hope you will be happy and successful and all your wishes come true in your new homeland.

I have a question which is not clear to me, although I have gone through quite a number of posts on that; Money that we bering in and the tax we have to pay.

In one post fro example you have mentioned;
“There r no taxes, levies or duties for bringing-in monies anytime in Canada. Be free to indulge.”

And in another post;
“Property: U don't need to 'declare' it - if u don't want to. Remember, here in Canada, Global Income is TAXED.”
Or
“If u aren't bringing the funds into the country - u may not report anything to CRA. But, if u do - then u r required to report it in your Annual Tax Returns, as "overseas income". U r not 'legally required to declare property' - but only the 'funds' those enter Canada. There is thus, a catch-22 situation -- if the funds enter - u would have to show its source as well!”

We are planning to land in March and we will be waiting till we get our PRC's. After that my husband will go back to home country since he doesn't want to quit his job while I should be trying to pass a number of exams to get registered and land a job afterwards. I want to know if he sends us money during the time I am studying, do we have to pay tax on this money? And how much that tax would be if he is going to transfer like 3000CAD's each month? (I am asking because he already pays tax on his income in our country.)

And what if if we bring in some 80,000 CAD's when landing and use it gradually. Do we still have to pay tax on the money itself or tax goes to the interest bank is giving us?
In general, what money that you bring in is considered as overseas income and what money we bring in is not taxable?
And my other query is about things to follow; Can we declare on the B4 that we are planning to bring in some items -likeafter two years when my hubby is joining- but change our mind and never bring them?

Thank you very much for your help.
Best regards!
Tax on 'landing funds
Note once again:
What u bring-in here is NON-TAXABLE. Any amount of fund/s... anytime... whether in one go, or in couple of instalments.
But, what u have in the bank a/c [here] will accrue some interest - ONLY that interest component is Taxable.
If the a/c balances r going to be heavy - one should do some 'intelligent investments' - to save some tax. There r many products available.
But, if u have monies coming-in regularly -- it'd amount to 'running overseas income' -- this u have to declare [in T4], which would then be Taxed!
Your $3000/PM would fall in that bracket!

Goods List/s - B4
The smart move is to 'list' anything & everything that u have in your home.
Whether u plan to bring-it into Canada now, or later [anytime], or never [u never know - u may change your mind] -- LIST IT.
'Lisitng' helps u in bringing-them-in w/out duty -- as long later as u want to. No timelimits exist.
Whether u'd bring-in some of them or not, is immaterial, ie. if u do not bring-in something - no questions asked.

Qorax

sunrise11

Jan 8, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Tax on 'landing funds
Note once again:
What u bring-in here is NON-TAXABLE. Any amount of fund/s... anytime... whether in one go, or in couple of instalments.
But, what u have in the bank a/c [here] will accrue some interest - ONLY that interest component is Taxable.
If the a/c balances r going to be heavy - one should do some 'intelligent investments' - to save some tax. There r many products available.
But, if u have monies coming-in regularly -- it'd amount to 'running overseas income' -- this u have to declare [in T4], which would then be Taxed!

Goods List/s - B4
The smart move is to 'list' anything & everything that u have in your home.
Whether u plan to bring-it into Canada now, or later [anytime], or never [u never know - u may change your mind] -- LIST IT.
'Lisitng' helps u in bringing-them-in w/out duty -- as long later as u want to. No timelimits exist.
Whether u'd bring-in some of them or not, is immaterial, ie. if u do not bring-in something - no questions asked.

Qorax
Dear Qorax,

Thank you very much indeed.

Wish you and your loved ones the best of all.

jli023

Nov 25, 2010
Hi Qorax,

I have two questions regarding the overseas income.

1. What is the tax rate that will be applied to the overseas income?
2. If save $3000/month for a year in overseas, then bring $3000 x 12 to Canada once, then the money is tax free?

Thanks for your help,

Jing

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
jli023 said:
Hi Qorax,

I have two questions regarding the overseas income.

1. What is the tax rate that will be applied to the overseas income?
2. If save $3000/month for a year in overseas, then bring $3000 x 12 to Canada once, then the money is tax free?

Thanks for your help,

Jing
1. There's no 'special rate' for overseas income. When u file your Annual T4 u r required to declare your personal income, other i/comes, spousal i/come & overseas i/come [not termed as such though]. All together u come into a certain 'tax bracket' - and that's your gross i/come for taxing. But, if funds come over certain limits u'd be asked to file-in Capital Gains Tax or the likewise, details in next point.

2. Yes, lump-sum funds wired into your Canadian a/c will not attract any levies - but, u'd require to prove its source. That's the catch-22 situation. If u say it came from 'savings' - then u might be asked 'how that savings occurred'? Your answer might attract certain direct taxes like the Capital Gains. Ditto could be if they came in thru proceeds of a property sale -- 'overseas i/come', And similar ones.

Qorax

Ps.: I couldn't help noticing your name - "Jing"... reminded me of 'Badmash Company'.. u might not understand... and pls don't mind... it was just in jest!

sujamana

Star Member
Feb 10, 2010
Qorax

Finally I had received the PR cards and SIN cards last week in US. We are planning to travel little later.

How is schooling, because my elder kid is getting in to elementary and what are the surprises in terms of culture?

Thanks a lot

sujamana

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
sujamana said:
Qorax

Finally I had received the PR cards and SIN cards last week in US. We are planning to travel little later.

How is schooling, because my elder kid is getting in to elementary and what are the surprises in terms of culture?

Thanks a lot

sujamana
U might hardly notice any difference between the US and Canada -- Socio-culturally. Thus, there won't be any 'shockers' as well. Besides, the schooling system pretty much remains the same too. Our kids r studying here as well. So, Relax & go ahead with your 'final move'.

Qorax

kunal203

Star Member
Sep 20, 2009
Dubai U.A.E
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
Doc's Request.
18-04-2009
AOR Received.
23-12-2008
IELTS Request
1-02-2009
Med's Request
09-03-2010
Med's Done....
10-03-2010
Passport Req..
27-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
24-01-2011
Hello

I am going to canada on PR on 24th of Jan. I have some questions with me like which goods i can carry with me and which i can't while landing to Canada for the first time. Goods like Pickles, flour, pulses, spices all food stuff. Can you please advice me if anyone had a problem while lending there with these food stuff. Can you please share your experience with me.

Thanks

Kunal.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kunal203 said:
Hello

I am going to canada on PR on 24th of Jan. I have some questions with me like which goods i can carry with me and which i can't while landing to Canada for the first time. Goods like Pickles, flour, pulses, spices all food stuff. Can you please advice me if anyone had a problem while lending there with these food stuff. Can you please share your experience with me.

Thanks

Kunal.
No need to post the same text here, some answers are already in your other thread:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/carrying-goods-to-canada-need-advice-who-were-lended-canada-t61510.0.html;msg557758#msg557758