+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

hirkshah

Jul 13, 2010
Ahmedbad India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 28, 2010
Doc's Request.
Sept 30, 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 04, 2010
File Transfer...
March 06, 2012
Med's Request
July 09, 2013
Med's Done....
July 31, 2013
Passport Req..
July 09, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 08, 2013
Hi Qorax,

I have been reading and following your posts and getting lot of useful information....you are doing a wonderful job of helping unknown people.....

I have a query regarding Mobile phone usage which I have posted in below link......would you please provide your guidance on this?..

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/is-it-better-to-buy-mobile-phones-from-india-which-can-work-in-canadaneed-help-t60703.0.html

Aslo, we wanted to know more about buying a laptop from India or Canada........To search for a job, we will need access to internet from day 1. Should we brought laptop from India or is it better to buy one from Canada after landing....Our only concern is that if we buy from India, warranty will not work there.......??? On the other hand, we are not sure how feasible it would be for us to go to the market and buy a laptop in first week itself because we will not be very familiar with the surrounding and all.......We do not have anyone from the family living there who can help us in such cases.....

Your guidance will be very helpful in taking the decision back home..

Thanks a ton......

drsujaprabu

Aug 21, 2010
Dear Qorax,
Very happy new year to u and many thanks for ur response to my query. I have a query reg declaration of a property (2 plots) that we own in India.
1. Do we have to carry the property documents in original?
2. Do we need to get property assessment and valuation done professionally or by government agencies? Are there any specifications for the valuation certificate?
3. Where must we declare this, at the POE or on the to follow list. We don't plan to dispose it for the next 2 years, so how much time do we have to transfer the proceeds of the prop sale to Canada?

Also, I came to know the procedures for gold jewelery evaluation from ur postings on this forum. Since I have few silver articles that I wish to carry, I would like to know if we have to follow the same procedure for silver too - photographs, weight of the article and value in CAD based on current market rate/gm for each item, and then totaled final value?

Thanks for the service that u r rendering to us on this forum.

Dr.Suja

atul.amin

Aug 18, 2010
Gujarat, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June-2010
AOR Received.
Oct-2010
Med's Request
Aug-2013
Med's Done....
Aug-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Aug-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Oct-2013 (Passport with Visa stamp received)
LANDED..........
shall be landing on 30th June 2014
Hello Qorax ji,

Wish you greetings of the Season...

Same is my qestion as above what HIRKSHAH has asked... Is it better to buy Laptop from India or Canada?

I am not worried about the warranty part if Laptop is purchased from India, more i am worried about my Data of my present Laptop which i am using in India. Can i carry my Data in external HDD and buy laptop from Canada and download it in or should i carry my Indian Laptop?

Kindly reply, Thanks in advance...

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
hirkshah said:
Hi Qorax,

I have been reading and following your posts and getting lot of useful information....you are doing a wonderful job of helping unknown people.....

I have a query regarding Mobile phone usage which I have posted in below link......would you please provide your guidance on this?..

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/is-it-better-to-buy-mobile-phones-from-india-which-can-work-in-canadaneed-help-t60703.0.html

Aslo, we wanted to know more about buying a laptop from India or Canada........To search for a job, we will need access to internet from day 1. Should we brought laptop from India or is it better to buy one from Canada after landing....Our only concern is that if we buy from India, warranty will not work there.......??? On the other hand, we are not sure how feasible it would be for us to go to the market and buy a laptop in first week itself because we will not be very familiar with the surrounding and all.......We do not have anyone from the family living there who can help us in such cases.....

Your guidance will be very helpful in taking the decision back home..

Thanks a ton......
Hi,

As for your thread -- I'd have a look at it shortly. Nonetheless note that WINDMobile is by far the best Cellular Provider in Canada, as of date, as far as 'price-vs-value' is concerned.

If u already have a Notebook & want to bring-it-along -- that's fine. However, if u have to buy a new one -- Canada is better. Here's its way cheaper than many other nations - including India... & u'd get better/newer models, with better configurations, at a lower price.

Purchasing one isn't a difficult task as well. All u'd need is to visit the nearest Future Shop, there u'd get all the models & at best deals. Most such locations r accessible via the Subway, if it isn't close to u already.

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
atul.amin said:
Hello Qorax ji,

Wish you greetings of the Season...

Same is my qestion as above what HIRKSHAH has asked... Is it better to buy Laptop from India or Canada?

I am not worried about the warranty part if Laptop is purchased from India, more i am worried about my Data of my present Laptop which i am using in India. Can i carry my Data in external HDD and buy laptop from Canada and download it in or should i carry my Indian Laptop?

Kindly reply, Thanks in advance...
Hi,

Greetings reciprocated -- Have a Blessed Year Ahead, Brother...

As above, purchasing the Laptop here is a wiser idea. Yes, u can safely bring-in your External HDD, with whatever u have, but avoid pirated software/s.

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
drsujaprabu said:
Dear Qorax,
Very happy new year to u and many thanks for ur response to my query. I have a query reg declaration of a property (2 plots) that we own in India.
1. Do we have to carry the property documents in original?
2. Do we need to get property assessment and valuation done professionally or by government agencies? Are there any specifications for the valuation certificate?
3. Where must we declare this, at the POE or on the to follow list. We don't plan to dispose it for the next 2 years, so how much time do we have to transfer the proceeds of the prop sale to Canada?

Also, I came to know the procedures for gold jewelery evaluation from ur postings on this forum. Since I have few silver articles that I wish to carry, I would like to know if we have to follow the same procedure for silver too - photographs, weight of the article and value in CAD based on current market rate/gm for each item, and then totaled final value?

Thanks for the service that u r rendering to us on this forum.

Dr.Suja
Thanx Bro,
Happy New Year - 2011 2 U 2 !!!

Property: U don't need to 'declare' it - if u don't want to. Remember, here in Canada, Global Income is TAXED.

Silver: The requirement of photographs + Valuations is not only for "Gold & Jewellry" -- it is also for anything of high worth. Eg. Silver, Coins, Antiques, Murals, Heirlooms etc. ("weight" of each isn't required)

Qorax

naniknok

Jan 3, 2011
wow... almost covered... we recently got the immigrant visa and all i have to do is read your posting. but i have one inquiry that gives us hard time. we are leaving from UAE to canada this March-2011 on our first landing and for good. our passport expires on July-2011, we wanted to renew it here in UAE but we are afraid that our docs got the current passport numbers. though, i will have both new and old once renewed. is that ok or better renew it there in canada?

thanks.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
naniknok said:
wow... almost covered... we recently got the immigrant visa and all i have to do is read your posting. but i have one inquiry that gives us hard time. we are leaving from UAE to canada this March-2011 on our first landing and for good. our passport expires on July-2011, we wanted to renew it here in UAE but we are afraid that our docs got the current passport numbers. though, i will have both new and old once renewed. is that ok or better renew it there in canada?

thanks.
Hold your horses... do the pps renewal in Canada - after 'landing'.
Qorax

drsujaprabu

Aug 21, 2010
Thanks, but will I be asked about my source of money if I were to transfer the proceeds of the sale of my prop in India for buying a house in Canada, maybe after a year or so?
Pls tell me if I'm legally required to declare property in home country or not.
Regards,
Suja

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
drsujaprabu said:
Thanks, but will I be asked about my source of money if I were to transfer the proceeds of the sale of my prop in India for buying a house in Canada, maybe after a year or so?
Pls tell me if I'm legally required to declare property in home country or not.
Regards,
Suja
Yes, if the amount is large (anything around $100K+) your Canadian bank would ask u for its source before they report it to FINTRAC. For smaller amounts they wouldn't bother (though it'd yet be reported to FINTRAC).

If u aren't bringing the funds into the country - u may not report anything to CRA. But, if u do - then u r required to report it in your Annual Tax Returns, as "overseas income". U r not 'legally required to declare property' - but only the 'funds' those enter Canada. There is thus, a catch-22 situation -- if the funds enter - u would have to show its source as well!

Which is why, most ppl do not bring-in large funds here from abroad. And for your Canadian property/ies u don't require to 'invest' your overseas funds - u can easily obtain a mortgage, with a 5-10% down... unless it's within few months of 'landing' - then u'd need 35% down.

Thus, the max funds that'd be wise to bring-in is 35% only.

Qorax

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
I am bringing probably 70 boxes worth of items... a lot of new items since Christmas just occured. How do I fill out this form... any advice would be appreciated!

C

cchabert

nyssa said:
I am bringing probably 70 boxes worth of items... a lot of new items since Christmas just occured. How do I fill out this form... any advice would be appreciated!
Use Excel on the form just write "See Adendum" Good luck! I'm not sure but you can bring stuff free of tax but six months old, so check it out in case of surprises.

Peace!

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
nyssa said:
Pls read here...
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t44793.0.html

cchabert said:
Use Excel on the form just write "See Adendum" Good luck! I'm not sure but you can bring stuff free of tax but six months old, so check it out in case of surprises.

Peace!
No. Anything & everything of a "newcomer immigrant' comes-in FREE (even a newly purchased car!)... unless they aren't listed in the GTF.

Qorax

cancan08

Jan 4, 2011
Dear Qorax,

Just a quick question regarding POF. We are 4 in the family and we declared around 21K CAD. How much do we need to encash and the rest as a bank draft? We are from the Philippines anyway. Do we need another cash in hand aside from the 21K CAD or we take some amount from there?

Thanks!