Passport Req..
PPR1 received on 25 sep 2012 & PPR2 received on 29 oct 2012
VISA ISSUED...
VISA Issued and passports received 14.11.12
LANDED..........
Landing in February
Aquib said:
Try to get flight which allow you max baggage and low fair ,
Try to bring cloths, house hold/kitchen stuff etc , so check airline if they give you extra 1-2 bag for 50-80$ extra , as some airline charge low and some charge high for extra baggage .
Do bring all medicines. And food stuff etc.
Bring all garam masala , haldi, mirchi , Kali mirich, Tea , coffee , extra bed sheets , duvet covers, pillow covers , warm heavy jackets, extra mufler , glowes , etc.
Just for eg.
Dal are approx $ 4/5 per kg here. Plus when you are new here it will be hard as you need to find shop , then it's snowing here and temp is in minus so to bring stuff daily from shop you need to carry them and wait at bus stop and then walk home which is bit hard in starting or you need to waste money in taxi.

So calculate , and bring extra 23-46 Kg of food stuff if it costing you additional 50-60 $ extra for 23 kg bag . It do safe you bit money plus you won't be in hassle to do carry shopping in early days.

Also if you love your watch then get it battery change before you come here , also if you wear prescription glasses then bring 2-3 set as if you break then replacement cost approx 100$ .

Leather wallet , purse , belt etc. are expensive here so bring couple of extra,

If big boots are cheap there then bring them too as you will get 20-25 cm of snow when you arrive here on road , good shoes are available here for 40-50$ here.
If you bring packed food/grains then as you coming first time, custom won't say anything .

Also you can consider bringing your allowance of duty free cigarette as if you don't smoke then you can either sell it or gift to people here (I didn't smoke but I brought 4 cartoons of Marlborough/Benson & Hedge . Cost me approx 18$ each and I can sell them here for $50 each if I wish, though I use them for gift purpose and those cost approx $100 each here )
Thankx for a handy information Aquib.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Aquib said:
Mightyechoes. , also dot forget to visit your dentist before u come canada as dentist are very expensive here.
If you get benefits with your job, the dentist can become free. All check-ups and cleanings are free for us.

Same for eye doctor, massages, and other non-traditional medicines.

scorpion_ca

May 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amikety said:
If you get benefits with your job, the dentist can become free. All check-ups and cleanings are free for us.

It takes time to get a good job, where the applicant may get free or 50/50 health insurance as benefits. It's cheaper to get the above treatments from back home specially those who are coming from Asia and Middle East.

Dreamsaboutcanada

May 23, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
WGOAGVS
+1 for you

Aquib said:
Hello everyone,
With all yours best wishes we have landed Calgary on 18 Sep 2012 eve.

Will like to thanks this foroum for helping me time to time and making our dreams come true.

Sorry as I was disappear from this foroum since few weeks as was busy in day to days work understanding Canadian system and time with my daughter and Pregnent wife.

So now story begin :

We have taken Transit Air flight from Manchaster to Calgary.
No dougbt this airline is best Value of money, we have paid extra £45 for Option One which allow us extra snacks, extra 10 KG luggage ( so now 33 kg in 2 peices instead of 1 piece 23 KG ) and Priority Check in.

Air transit uk number is - 02076169187.
There website is www.canadianaffairs.com
Cargo number and enail address are :
mark @ clipper.co.uk
They had pick my stuff from home for Additional £ 98.50
Just call them for quote .
Regarding our other household stuff , this airline got option to take extra bags for £ 60 each 23 Kg piece.
Though we choose to Cargo our 20 boxes of 20-25 kg each which cost us total 980£ extra.

When we landed at Calgary International Airport, at 5:30. pm, at airport , officer has ask us to go to Special check in for Immigration window, there Lady ask us to show our passport and COPR and she stamp our passport , and fill details on COPR and then ask us to sign them in front of her, at last she CONGRALTS us on being Ca PR.
Then she divert us towards baggage collection and ask her to go to custom from there.
( no one ask about any other paper and nothing about funds till this time)

We collect our baggage and went to custom where they have taken list of goods we bring with us and stamp all receipt and list (they give us one form to fill which we already got with us).

Then custom officer ask list about goods to follow , and once he got list and receipt he went behind photo copy room, and we sit at chairs waiting for him, he came back after 30 min with all copy and then return us all originals with barcode sticker and stamp on list and goods to follow forms.

Please do try to List/mention any expensive things which you want to bring in Canada in future as while landing they will stamp whatever you tell them .

As we got just $ 1000 cash with us all all remaining funds in Thomas cook canada $ MasterCard / and in UK bank account so custom officer ask me not to fill that money deceleration form as its less then 10,000$ with us.

We straight went to hotel (we book for 3 night ) , (hotel Van come to pick us free of charge).
It's $120 a night hotel with free breakfast, free Internet, free local phone. Rooms where 4 bed and big .

Next day we Stayed in hotel room most of time just speaking to hotel staff (who is Indian and Pak ) about city .

In evening I went to nearby area in Asian store and enquire about houses etc.

Here in Alberta public transport is expensive - monthly passes are from 1st to 30 of every month for $96 so as we left just 10 days in month so we bought 10 ticket books which is for $27.50 (2.75 is 1 ticket which is valid for 90 min travel )

Next day I went to Malborough Mall which is just 2 stop away and spend couple of hours understanding sim cards, Canadian mobile services are ripp off, they charge for incoming and advertise there plan with feature like 'free incoming text ', all main network like Roger,Bell,Fido , Kodo and virgin looks crazy expensive.
Best 2 where - wind and Mobilicity but they don't support GSM handset so last one left for me is Chatter which cost $20 for sim card and $ 35 for unlimited Canada wide calls and text mgs (without data).

Later week I bought one 7-11 sim card for $10 which give unlimited data for my iPhone/iPad for $ 10 a month (with restriction that whatsapp, Skype, iMessage and viber won't work on that data) .

After getting mobile sim I went searching for home, then found why every one say about basement.
Houses available on rent are in two part - main floor of house or basement .
2 bed houses are approx $ 1100 to 1400 per month plus 60% of bills and basement are approx 800-900 a month either inclusive or 40% of bills.

Best place to looks at Asian stores where people advertise there house , also you can look at kijiji.ca and rent faster .ca. But good houses gone in rent within 24 hours of there advertisement.
I do got one broker (Pakistani punjabi guy) but I found him excessive rude and expensive , at last after looking at 8 different house and basement and after speaking over 25 landlord on phone who told that there property already gone , I found 2 places in my Budgt but by time I call my wife to see those places those also gone ( never thought that it's so much demand of rental house ) .

Now it's morning to check out and when during breakfast at 8 I tell hotel guy that I want to extend my stay he told me that all rooms are booked and he can't give any room even for $200, all he can do is to allow me late check out at 3 instead of 12 noon.

I got bit worried and went to nearby hotel to book room ( really feeling very exhausted ) and then I went to Asian Punabi supermarket for one more try , luckily I found one 2 BHK basement advertisement and I called landlord , lady told me to come over and see property and I catch next bus straight to there area.
When I went there , Landlord is showing property to other family and they told then that they will tell them in 2 hours, and then they went up and I stayed with land lord, who welcome me and ask about us, when I told him that I in country for just 3 day and got one child in family then he ask that when can I move and I told him in next hour, he told me that as you new so we can give you this 2BHK basement for $ 800 as you just remember me of my time when I came to this country 12 year back with my wife.
And listening that I give him $300 as token and told him how much more he need and he said that's enough.

House is nice clean basement, landlord living upstairs. But here unfurnished means not even bed.

I called my wife in hotel and ask her to stay ready , and then in next 1 hour we in our new house.

Feeling so relax , then I buy one Queen bed with mattress on kijiji delivered for 200 $ .

Next day bought microwave , sofa and dining table from kijiji too.

Then in evening I goes to cargo office and get my paper works and go to custom office where they stamp without any issue, courtesy land lord I get one truck for $ 40 to bring all 20 cartoons including my TV and utensils etc from cargo office to home.

In evening we went Safeway for shopping and realise Canada is much more expensive then UK
Bread - $2.30 instead of 1£
15 Egg - $ 4.99 instead of 2£
4 L milk $ 4.99 instead of £2.20

On top when we buy rice and dal etc that found to be over 2.5 rates then compare to UK.

Later landlord told about cheaper stores - superstore, Walmart and no frills (still things are 50% expensive compare to UK).

I went to RBC and open bank account , they offer 6 month free banking, free bank locker and $1000 credit card to me and my wife each.

Then I went to Malborough Mall at Services to Newcomer and apply for SIN number, lady has given that in 10 min and told me that I will receiving card soon.

Next is Registry office where it's took us 30 min wait then 5 min in counter to apply for health card and exchange our UK driving licence for full Canadian licence (here its cost us $86 approx as licence fee) lady given us our new licence number immidiately and told us that we will receive licence in post in next 7 days.

Next day we registered ourself in neighbouring practice (Dr) . Which is again very easy and welcoming. After our short interview Dr ask us to get done few blood test so that he can create our file and call us next week for full physical examination.

next day we went to nearby school for our daughter admission and they ask us to go to Reception centre , where I went next morning and after looking at my child passport and landing paper they registered her to our neighbour school giving us addmission form, and in evening once I given that admission form in school they told us about fee (tuition $50 for year and $187 for a year lunch supervision fee if we don't want to take our daughter to home for lunch ). next morning was first days for my daughter school.

Today is our 19 th day here in Canada, all what we doing is shopping and arranging house , spending time in understanding things.

Since last few days I am spending time looking for Car or SUV . On Kijiji , auto trader and with local dealers.

I haven't start looking for Job yet, but notice that Job at Macdonald, Petrol pumps and super market are easily available (advertise ) for $10-14 so if anyone want to start working from first week then there is something always there, I hope some good technical jobs are too available in city .

Child benefits - when i went for school registry office , after admission procedure finish one other lady come to me and she introduce herself as community support advisor , she given me child benefits form and told me to fill it and send it to enclosed address. She told me this is Prov child benefits which will base on your previous year family income abroad (they will accept figure u give ) and lesser you income last year more you get money as child benefit. Then she told me that she will meet us again in 2 week for other things like Child benefits from central govt etc .

Here bank charge money for transection or some fix monthly fee .
Following bank offers free banking to newcomer :
RBC - 6 month free bank , 1 year free locker and 1000$ CC
BMO - 12 month free bank , 1 year free locker , secure CC.
ABT - 12 month free bank acc.
Scotia bank - 12 month free bank , 1 year free locker , 1000$ CC.

Regarding applying for PR card , i did by fax after a week of landing and once got my perm address.
You can fax that 1 page form from any STAPLES store for $1.54 .

Yup, I do recommend people to bring ac adaptor/converter plugs to use your foreign plugs pin in Canada plugs.

Do bring / Cargo all your good light weight utensils, if any good LED Tv, warm cloths, spices , medicines , cloths ESP jackets , shoes, childern toys etc With you . It's worth paying £2.50 per KG in cargo as firstly things expensive here, secondly it will cost you even more in buying them and bringing them home in taxi as you wont know much about places nor you can bring heavy stuff in Bus . Also do bring some food stuff like 2-3 KG of pulsess , rice , noodles etc for first couple of day cooking.

Don't bother bringing your mobile unless it's expensive phone like S3 or iPhone. Or even that sell it in your country as here Non GSM phones plans only give value of money.

Calling card- it's cheap to Call India , you will get $2.50 calling card which are good to speak 150-200 min .

it's approx 2:15 am here now (over 3 hours sitting and typing on my iPad ) .

I tried to mention lots of things which I experience , please do email me if you had any question .

I can say one thing , Canada feels like home, very welcoming and friendly people.

Ufff, one more thing which I just remember , I was doing saving of 150-200£ every month since couple of year on Thomas Cook Canadian $ currencey card while in UK , so while Landing I got balance of approx $6000 on it.
It is free to use and widely accept on shops, free of cost as money you held in it is already converted to $ , best thing is that if you walk in any Scotia bank branch then you can withdraw $1000 in one go so it just cost fee of $3.50 for one cash withdraw and you can withdraw upto 3000 in a day . I found it useful as no other cash machine allow to withdraw more then 500 $ in single transaction.

Secondary I am using my uk bank visa debit card here without any problem but if you have Mastero card then be warn as you won't find places to use it in Canada .

At last I can say I never had good writing skills so if you found it boaring, useless or time waste then I am sorry , please ignore spelling mistake and Grammer too . but if it's of any use then do give me +1 as your thanks.

Good nite.

KHALIQUE

Sep 19, 2011
H'ABLE SENIORS

Please advise here as At Toronto Airport Immigration Officer will ask about the Proof of Funds which we will carry with us from Pakistan.

Please specify from where we should prepare B/drafts, Cheques, TCs or MOs as well as against whom it will be issued and also advise whether we carry 50% of the amount in cash and remaining in above form.

KIND REGARDS.

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
amikety said:

My company told me that life benefits start from first day and all medical benefits will start after 6 month .
Further it will cover 100% cost for me and my family but i need to pay 20 of premium from my pay (before tax ) that will comes approx 80$ a month . ( policy docs I havent receive yet ).

Keep in mind , insurance is afterall insurance , no matter how much you pay to them , they will look for a point to return your claim .

I feel better is if you file your child tax and gst quickley and then apply for liw income benefits. I have realise if you family of 4 earning less then 36k. You will be at par with one earning 50 K.

How ?

Free medicals, free dentist , no tax , free bus pass , housing benefits and you can get full 2-3 bed house with basement for 400-800$ instead of 1200$ normal rent , free child school which is normally (anually) $50 fee, $ 180 lunch supervision, $ 100 skateing,swiming,zoo,recreation fees etc. bus fee if you need that is 1200$ yearly.
Also as a low income you will get free Jim membership , free swiming pools , free zoo pases (if not free then 90% discount ) .
Approx 600-800$ GST refund , child benefit is approx 750 for 2 child under 6 if low income. If high income then it will reduce according to income band.

I am also new in Canada. And all figures i giving are those what i understand after meeting few desi family. So please dont pick me on these figures.

Seniors please share your experience.
Esp if you can share your approx house hold income , number of family member and Figures/amount of benefits , also comment if you agree with free services people get if they on low income (under 36000 $ approx annualy )

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Just going to put this out there - and by no means am I trying to be discouraging or disrespectful to any of the posts here about low income housing....

However, if you aim for low income housing, you will end up in the crappiest neighborhoods in Calgary. Ones with highest crime, drug addicts, and violent people. Not to say you can't end up with loser druggies as neighbors in nicer areas...... grrr. It's more to say when you shake the bag, the smallest pieces of trash tend to settle in the bottom... if that makes sense.

Guys, if paying low income housing makes it able to give your kids better food and clothing, then yes. But don't stay there. Once you're established and have a good job, get out. Because if you live in a trashy neighborhood, your KIDS will grow up thinking that's normal.

9jcanada

Champion Member
Oct 16, 2010
Calgary Alberta
App. Filed.......
12/01/2011
AOR Received.
10/06/2011
Med's Request
09/02/2012
Med's Done....
14/02/2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
26/03/2012
VISA ISSUED...
04/05/2012
LANDED..........
August 2012
amikety said:
Just going to put this out there - and by no means am I trying to be discouraging or disrespectful to any of the posts here about low income housing....

However, if you aim for low income housing, you will end up in the crappiest neighborhoods in Calgary. Ones with highest crime, drug addicts, and violent people. Not to say you can't end up with loser druggies as neighbors in nicer areas...... grrr. It's more to say when you shake the bag, the smallest pieces of trash tend to settle in the bottom... if that makes sense.

Guys, if paying low income housing makes it able to give your kids better food and clothing, then yes. But don't stay there. Once you're established and have a good job, get out. Because if you live in a trashy neighborhood, your KIDS will grow up thinking that's normal.
I concur 100%

9j

canpr

Nov 12, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
22-01-2010
LANDED..........
12-2012
amikety said:

Real good one !!

sterileinjection

Jul 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/08/2011
AOR Received.
11/11/2011
IELTS Request
sent
File Transfer...
16/01/2012
Med's Request
24/01/2012
Med's Done....
13/02/2012
Interview........
blank
Passport Req..
05/03/2012
VISA ISSUED...
09/04/2012
LANDED..........
31/5/2012
amikety said:

agreed..............

sterileinjection

Jul 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/08/2011
AOR Received.
11/11/2011
IELTS Request
sent
File Transfer...
16/01/2012
Med's Request
24/01/2012
Med's Done....
13/02/2012
Interview........
blank
Passport Req..
05/03/2012
VISA ISSUED...
09/04/2012
LANDED..........
31/5/2012
Aquib said:
Try to get flight which allow you max baggage and low fair ,
Try to bring cloths, house hold/kitchen stuff etc , so check airline if they give you extra 1-2 bag for 50-80$ extra , as some airline charge low and some charge high for extra baggage .
Do bring all medicines. And food stuff etc.
Bring all garam masala , haldi, mirchi , Kali mirich, Tea , coffee , extra bed sheets , duvet covers, pillow covers , warm heavy jackets, extra mufler , glowes , etc.
Just for eg.
Dal are approx $ 4/5 per kg here. Plus when you are new here it will be hard as you need to find shop , then it's snowing here and temp is in minus so to bring stuff daily from shop you need to carry them and wait at bus stop and then walk home which is bit hard in starting or you need to waste money in taxi.

So calculate , and bring extra 23-46 Kg of food stuff if it costing you additional 50-60 $ extra for 23 kg bag . It do safe you bit money plus you won't be in hassle to do carry shopping in early days.

Also if you love your watch then get it battery change before you come here , also if you wear prescription glasses then bring 2-3 set as if you break then replacement cost approx 100$ .

Leather wallet , purse , belt etc. are expensive here so bring couple of extra,

If big boots are cheap there then bring them too as you will get 20-25 cm of snow when you arrive here on road , good shoes are available here for 40-50$ here.
If you bring packed food/grains then as you coming first time, custom won't say anything .

Also you can consider bringing your allowance of duty free cigarette as if you don't smoke then you can either sell it or gift to people here (I didn't smoke but I brought 4 cartoons of Marlborough/Benson & Hedge . Cost me approx 18$ each and I can sell them here for $50 each if I wish, though I use them for gift purpose and those cost approx $100 each here )
nicely explained....+1 for yr efforts

khans

May 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 march 2008
Doc's Request.
march 2009
IELTS Request
oct 2009
Med's Request
30 mar2010/16mar 2011(remed)
Med's Done....
same
Interview........
02 feb 2012
Passport Req..
13 April with remedical form
VISA ISSUED...
19th July 2012
LANDED..........
waiting
Dear Aquib

I have landed Toronto on 5th of November...

I want your contact number cause i want some advises from u about Calgary....

Khans

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
amikety said:

Hi again,
I would say that these problem is common in europe esp in UK with council houses. But here in Canada , esp Calgary its not case , i have notice these calgary housing houses are not in same row .
If i see 50 houses in my street and neighbouring street then there are only 5-6 houses own by calgary housing .
Secondly for family of 4 , if your income is less then 45k last tear then only you entitled for it .
Once you income rises there rent will rise too. I heard they take 30% of your net last year income as rent .

I have in my child benefit form disclose my and my wife UK income honestly which was nearly double then what is calgary housing requirement. If i have shown only 10% of my actual earning then also CIC has no way to verify those figures .
Second I am happy in basement and looking to move to my own house by next year but sometime feel that is it good idea that i didnt go for calgary housing ?

Mind it , when people talk about happier neighbourhood , good areas etc , these all things only look good in reading & writing , when you go to find rental house you wont get much choices about areas .
I also use to talk lot about getting rental house in area where they got best rated school (if you read any of my post priror to my visa ) but when reality came i realise to go with basement in area close to hospital , market and asian population.

Again its your choice where u want to live but i do recommend to go for Calgary housing if you can get it. As they got 3-6 months que plus there qualyfying criteria.

I am not going against any one , these are just my personal view .

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
khans said:
Dear Aquib

I have landed Toronto on 5th of November...

I want your contact number cause i want some advises from u about Calgary....

Khans
Hi
I have just pm you my number.
You can call me anytime today or give me your toronto number i can call u too.

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
KHALIQUE said:
H'ABLE SENIORS

Please advise here as At Toronto Airport Immigration Officer will ask about the Proof of Funds which we will carry with us from Pakistan.

Please specify from where we should prepare B/drafts, Cheques, TCs or MOs as well as against whom it will be issued and also advise whether we carry 50% of the amount in cash and remaining in above form.

KIND REGARDS.
Its all your wish to bring in cash or your bank statement. All you need to show them that u got access to funds if they ask .