Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Honolulu said:
Just a small question:
Where typically does one get the "small change"?
I noticed a lot of landing reports say that this is needed.
Do we use the foreign exchange counters at the port of departure?
Do we get "small change" machines at the Airports?
Probably not the most important aspect of landing, but just a nice thing to know.
What's best?
Baggage Carts at Toronto Airport [YYZ]

Yes, Baggage carts cost $2 each [coins], of which $0.25 is refunded when carts are returned to a dispenser. U have got 2 ways to obtain that loose change:

1. An ICE kiosk is conveniently located, just aside the baggage carousel -available to provide currency exchange [including coins] but, albeit@lower exchange rates.

2. A Smarte Carte Ambassador 'vending machine' dispenses small change in the baggage claim area. Look@the photo here:
http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/421028

Qorax

Honolulu

Jan 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 25th 2009 ( at Sydney)
LANDED..........
December 29th
Quorax, you are stupendous!
I cannot find words to describe your authority in knowledge and accuracy but above all willingness to help.
Thanks and God Bless!

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Post by Singhsaab.

Hi Everybody here,

Landed yesterday ie on 2nd May 2010 in Vancouver Canada by Cathay Pacific flight at 12:30, and the first thing which was really really nice to see is that signboards were in our PUNJABI

The procedure was smooth following are the details

during the flight CBSA form were given to us, having the details of custom rules.

1. We then proceeded to the Welcome Canada counter where we were given some pamphlets and books and a bag with regards to settling in Canada. people out there were speaking punjabi nicely.

2. Than we were directed to proceeded towards Immigration counter where in the officer asked some question and than stamped our passports he filled up the COPR forms and we signed it a copy was attached to the passport and we were welcomed to Canada we were told that the PR cards would arrive withinn 6 weeks. and yeah they asked for POF also.

3. We then collected our luggages.

4. We then proceeded to customs and the officer checked our passports.

5. Relatives were already waiting for us in arrival area.

6. Straigt go to gurudwara, did thanks to god for making my dream come true. did langar there and proceed for Surrey

Special thanks to PMM, Leon, Wilson, Qorax, gsidhu, Rocky, jashan n all memeber who had helped me reach here.

waiting for sidhu saab u to come here ASAP and call u soon n o Ludhiane wala b mil gaya c Delhi airport te.

Thanks & Regards
Singhsaab

maverick_stallion

Feb 18, 2010
Senior members,

Proof of funds -

1 in case of proof of funds for family of three members do we need to carry the ie entire amount @ 17000 can $ with me ie pa or my wife can carry some part later on after 6 mths when she is here.

2. Is fixed deposit a valid proof of fund or liquid cash required.

3. Can I open a scotia bank account in india itself and remit funds in that to show as pof

4. I heard that carrying cash/ tc above 10000 can $ has a legal issue with agencies.

5. Is a valuation of house a valid proof of funds.

6. I have 6 lac premium paid amt lic policy which is paid in full will be counted as a valid pof.

malu08

Jul 27, 2009
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
This is good website for Job Search. My Friend who is working in Toronto refereed this:

http://www.workopolis.com/EN/Common/HomePage.aspx

I hope this would help all.

maverick_stallion

Feb 18, 2010
maverick_stallion said:
Senior members rocky and all,

Proof of funds -

1 in case of proof of funds for family of three members do we need to carry the ie entire amount @ 17000 can $ with me ie pa or my wife can carry some part later on after 6 mths when she is here.

3. Can I open a scotia bank account in india itself and remit funds in that to show as pof

4. I heard that carrying cash/ tc above 10000 can $ has a legal issue with agencies.

6. I have 6 lac premium paid amt lic policy which is paid in full will be counted as a valid pof.
Dear Rocky pl help me in the above matter.

malu08

Jul 27, 2009
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
maverick_stallion said:
Senior members,

Proof of funds -

First time when you will be at POE you have to show 17,000 CAD as POF.

I think both would be valid

Yes you can. GO here:
http://www.scotiabank.com/cda/content/0,1608,CID12958_LIDen,00.html

I don't know.

NO

I don't think LIC premium would help as POF.

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maverick_stallion said:
Senior members,

Proof of funds -

Ans. You do not need to carry the funds, you just have to show the proof of funds. Well in order to complete the landing and get PR status for Principal applicant, PA must show evidence at the time of landing for proof of funds that he or she can support his or her family. So you will have to show documentary evidence.
Ans. Yes, a fixed deposit in your name shall be valid and also if you wife was in the applicant which I suppose she was.

Ans. Yes you can do that. It has tie up with HDFC bank, check the SCOTIA Bank website it has all the details and its simple.

Ans. No legal issue as such it is just that you will have to declare the source of funds and they might ask more questions for it.
Ans. No
Ans. No, it will not be taken as a valid proof of funds. Only liquid money or instant possible liquid money.

Check answers in bold

maverick_stallion

Feb 18, 2010
Dear Rocky,

I have further questions thanx for your reply.

1 I am working with Axis bank in home loan underwriting[sanctioning loans] are you aware that we need any added qualif for getting a bank job for doing mortgage underwriting.

2 Which is the best air fares to Edmonton / Toronto these days.

3 I am currently working in Mumbai need to resign my job have a 3 mth waiting period for notice to employer. personally i am pretty fed up as my family is back in Baroda Gujarat.

4 I have one more year till march 2011 to reach canada should i keep working or quit and go to edmonton before winters.

5 I have a decent savings of around 10 lacs should this help me to tide over till i get the a banking job in canada -my basic question is should i quit right now or take more time to quit.

6 I have relatives at edmonton so stay will not be an issue for me.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
1 I am working with Axis bank in home loan underwriting[sanctioning loans] are you aware that we need any added qualif for getting a bank job for doing mortgage underwriting.
-To be at par to your current job in Canada, u'll have to get additional quals/certificates.

2 Which is the best air fares to Edmonton / Toronto these days.
-check out this link:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t38894.0.html

3 I am currently working in Mumbai need to resign my job have a 3 mth waiting period for notice to employer. personally i am pretty fed up as my family is back in Baroda Gujarat.
-My personal opinion... resign asap & move.

4 I have one more year till march 2011 to reach canada should i keep working or quit and go to edmonton before winters.
-As above... quit now. It's better to get into the Canadian Settlement foray as early as possible. 'Coz even if u delay -the teething troubles will remain the same [as of now or later]. But, as u delay, u'll be delaying your comparative settlement vis-a-vis your peers.

5 I have a decent savings of around 10 lacs should this help me to tide over till i get the a banking job in canada -my basic question is should i quit right now or take more time to quit.
-That savings is good. In any case the min POF requirement of CIC enables u to settle down for approx 5-6 months w/out a decent job. And by then u r likely to get one -in any case, unless u r too choosy [which might be detrimental].

6 I have relatives at edmonton so stay will not be an issue for me.
-For later, check out http://www.capreit.ca

Qorax

Ps.: Sr. Member Leon is from Edmonton.

ramneek

Star Member
Aug 2, 2009
hi rocky & qorax
plz help me to quit out of this situation, our agent has told me to buy TCs ASAP bcoz doller rate will be higher in aug whem i am planning to land.
is it true???
one more thing, if there is any list available for the registered agents who provide TCs
thanks in advance
ramneek

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ramneek said:
hi rocky & qorax
plz help me to quit out of this situation, our agent has told me to buy TCs ASAP bcoz doller rate will be higher in aug whem i am planning to land.
is it true???
one more thing, if there is any list available for the registered agents who provide TCs
thanks in advance
ramneek
If you agent knows this for sure, tell him that he can be a millionaire soon. Anyways, see the CAD is increasing and probably might rise more due to increase in Canadian Dollar demand. But I cannot be sure for that. Rest for TC's you can take it from HDFC Bank or Thomas cook

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
ramneek said:
hi rocky & qorax
is it true???
thanks in advance
ramneek
Your agent is talking nonsense... no one can real predict the CAD=USD fluctuations. See what happened around 2008... the CAD got stronger & continues to do so. All the real online Forex reports suggests that the CAD might just not loose steam vis-a-vis the USD for years to come... not at least this year. Check, NASDAQ, OANDA, Bank of Canada etc reports.

About the TCs, u may like to check your local Forex dealers for some good bargain rates. I've no clue from where u r, but Thomas Cook, Amex, Intl Banks, Other Major Local Banks, Travel Desks at all 5* Hotels etc can help u out with that.

BTW: I avoided the TCs & took some 'cash' & the rest in Bank Drafts instead. It worked-out damn well. Got some stupendous rates from the Forex House/s at Dubai.

Qorax