Landed Immigrants: Share Landing, Job hunt, house hunt & other experience

jsp

Star Member
Nov 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abhi292000

i ve read ur flight detail posted here.

i want to know about baggage allowance , in ur case it is 23 kgs x 2 (in CArgo) and 8 Kgs Cabin Luggage.

Is it for a single ticket or for two persons. I read somewhere allowable limit is about 30 kg per person. .

Please clarify it.

abhi292000

Feb 24, 2010
Canada
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
20.June.2022
Doc's Request.
not yet
Halo JSP,

My baggage allowance is 23kgs x 2pcs in Cargo and 8kgs x 1pcs cabin luggage.

Yeah it is single way ticket for one person.

Any more details u need let me know
Abhi

swaps82

Star Member
Apr 9, 2009
Hey! All,
Seems almost everyone is set to fly in few months... Has everyone got a job already or planning 2 look for 1 after u land there??
My family isn't allowing me & my spouse 2 fly without a job in hand..
I am trying to look for a few jobs from here itself but no luck as of yet...

What about you guys??

I am bit tensed now....

Thanks & Regards,

Swaps

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Hi swaps82

when r u landing in canada and which city and when?

dont be tense, take it easy, one step at a time, get yr resume tailored to canada standard and make sure that yr CV is free from errors and is up the the canadian standard. Also make sure yr credentials are certified to canadian standard by getting it assessed either before u land or after u land in canada.

After u land, get all the necessary stuff settled, such as SIN, Health care card, drivers licence etc, all done then start applyin for jobs!

swaps82

Star Member
Apr 9, 2009
Hi! abelkwh,
I still have to decide upon the dates. But aiming for July/Aug. R the flight rates increasing??
I am working on my resume. About the Credentials i am B.E Production from Mumbai University. India & MBA Finance from Mumbai Univ & my wife is B.E ELectronics, Mumbai University & MBA Marketing from Cardiff Univ. U.K. From where do we get it checked & how? Is it advisable to get it done from here before you land?

& is anyone successful in Job hunt??

All the Best to everyone & God bless..

Regards

Swaps.

bhaveshenee

Oct 23, 2009
INDIA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 2010
swaps82 said:
Hi! abelkwh,
I still have to decide upon the dates. But aiming for July/Aug. R the flight rates increasing??
I am working on my resume. About the Credentials i am B.E Production from Mumbai University. India & MBA Finance from Mumbai Univ & my wife is B.E ELectronics, Mumbai University & MBA Marketing from Cardiff Univ. U.K. From where do we get it checked & how? Is it advisable to get it done from here before you land?

& is anyone successful in Job hunt??

All the Best to everyone & God bless..

Regards

Swaps.
Dear Swaps,
Do you have the format for the canadian Resume style. If so can you please help me send it on bhavesht@essar.com

Regards,

Sha_sha

Apr 11, 2010
Rocky/Qorax../seniors...
Need SituationHelp: Please give me proper advice to take further step:

1. In the current situation we can't start staying in Cananda in our first trip!! Can we just do the landing formalities, apply for PR/SIN/Health Card/Bank account..and return Ind within a week?

2. Is it must that we have to show the proof of fund only in Travellers Cheques, DDs or Cash or we can just show the updated bank statement (Ind)? As we plan to settle only in the 2nd trip to cananda, we are not taking much cash in the first trip as it's planned only for a week.

3. We really have no clue in Canada (ON) how worst situtations we have to face as we don't have any friends or relatives. Is it advisable to stay in big cities with no Job or stay in small cities till you get the job!!

Seriously, we never think these things during the stage of applying the PR. And it would be havoc once we have the PR ready and all these questions in mind!!! Hopefully, we'll sail this out and have peaceful life in Canada.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sha_sha said:
Rocky/Qorax../seniors...

1. In the current situation we can't start staying in Cananda in our first trip!! Can we just do the landing formalities, apply for PR/SIN/Health Card/Bank account..and return Ind within a week?

2. Is it must that we have to show the proof of fund only in Travellers Cheques, DDs or Cash or we can just show the updated bank statement (Ind)? As we plan to settle only in the 2nd trip to cananda, we are not taking much cash in the first trip as it's planned only for a week.

3. We really have no clue in Canada (ON) how worst situtations we have to face as we don't have any friends or relatives. Is it advisable to stay in big cities with no Job or stay in small cities till you get the job!!

Seriously, we never think these things during the stage of applying the PR. And it would be havoc once we have the PR ready and all these questions in mind!!! Hopefully, we'll sail this out and have peaceful life in Canada.

1. You can do the formalities but you must provide a physical address where the officials can mails your and your families PR cards. It may take 30 - 45 days. If you think getting a PR card will take only 1 week then it is not possible. Health insurance also takes time from 2 - 3 months like in Ontario province it takes 3 months.
2. I have shared an email from CHC New Delhi regarding validation of proof of fund at the time of Landing. Here is the copy for your reference again.

Dear Sir / Madam,

This is in response to your recent email enquiry to the Immigration Section of the Canadian High Commission in New Delhi.

The amount of funds you need to have in order to settle in Canada depends on the size of your family. The funds must be available to you and transferable to Canada. They must be unencumbered by debts or other obligations.

Number of family members
Funds required

1 $11,086

2 $13,801

3 $16,967

4 $20,599

5 $23,364

6 $26,350

7 or more $29,337

Acceptable proof of funds are:

-bank accounts in your name or the name of your accompanying spouse/common-law partner;

-cashable investments in your name or the name of your accompanying spouse/common-law partner;

-cashable fixed deposits in your name of the name of your accompanying spouse/common-law partner.

Not acceptable are:

-bank accounts in someone else's name;

-bank accounts which are joint in your name and someone else (other than your accompanying spouse/common-law partner);

-bank accounts in the name of your spouse who is not accompanying you to Canada;

-property valuations;

-vehicle valuations;

-jewellery valuations.

You are not required to carry your funds in cash when you arrive in Canada. You are, however, required to show documentary evidence that you have the funds available (in bank accounts or cashable investments), and that they can be transferred to Canada.

A port of entry officer in Canada may seek to confirm these funds before granting you permanent residence along with your dependants.

If you have arranged employment in Canada, you do not have to meet these financial requirements. Arranged employment means that you have an offer of indeterminate employment from an employer in Canada. You must be either currently working in that employment on a work permit in Canada, or have been issued a labour market opinion has must have been provided by the Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC). In order to be exempt from the minimum funds requirement, the offer of employment must be genuine, the employment must not part-time or seasonal, the wages offered must be consistent with the prevailing wage rate for the occupation, and the working conditions must meet generally accepted Canadian standards.

We trust that this information will be of assistance.

I Hope it can answer your question. I would suggest to be safe, get a demand draft made and take it along and then while coming back you can get it cancelled, there might be come cancellation charges.

3. I would suggest you initially to stay in small cities if staying for a month and if only staying for a week then Toronto can be fine or any other major city. See big cities are expensive as compared to small but it all depends upon that whether you want to settle in your first trip or second.

Just a small suggestion, try and plan before you come to Canada, that what will be the options you can exercise, keep 5 to 6 options.

Best Wishes

Rocky

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Sha_sha said:
Rocky/Qorax../seniors...

As for (1), u will need at least 3 to 4 weeks time to allow the office to send u the PR/ SIN card, as for health card, depending on where u land, some may take 3 to 4 weeks, some may take within a few days. Bank accounts can be set up very easily once u have an address and the SIN card. So u will need sometime to set it up and not within a few days for sure.

As for (2), U can bring cash or any of the above that u have mentioned, its up to u.

As for (3), what do u mean by "how worst the situation is"? There are many whom land without friends or relatives too! U need to set ur mind ready that u r landing in a new land and get ready to make new friends and new contacts if u move, so what if u do not have anyone there! Many of us are also landing without friends or relatives there! BE BRAVE MAN! Big city or small, its really up to u and yr family and depending on the industry that u r looking for jobs! U can land in Vancouver if u are a tourism man, or u can land in Toronto if u are a financial sector man or u can also land anywhere if there r jobs for u! So u need to research according to yr industry and where u need to find yr jobs and then land wherever u have more chances of finding jobs!

abhi292000

Feb 24, 2010
Canada
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
20.June.2022
Doc's Request.
not yet
Halo Seniors,

I m flying alone so is it okie if i show 10000 canadian dollars as POF

Can i show 70% of the above amount through bank draft and rest in cash

Which is good option TC's or Bank Draft .... i mean to encash it in our Canada Bank out...i mean in which mode more of commission we have to pay in TC's or Bank Draft

Thanks
Abhi

mpapdp.1984

Oct 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-11-2008
AOR Received.
18-03-2009
File Transfer...
27-10-2009
Med's Request
16-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-04-2010 (Reached Ottawa May 4 2010)
Interview........
waived
abhi292000 said:
Halo Seniors,

I m flying alone so is it okie if i show 10000 canadian dollars as POF

Can i show 70% of the above amount through bank draft and rest in cash

Which is good option TC's or Bank Draft .... i mean to encash it in our Canada Bank out...i mean in which mode more of commission we have to pay in TC's or Bank Draft

Thanks
Abhi
Try to carry less than $ 10,000 with you.

abhi292000

Feb 24, 2010
Canada
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
20.June.2022
Doc's Request.
not yet
Halo mpapdp.1984 ,

Thanks for your quick answer bro..but u sure i if i carry less then that it will be suffice as per CIC rules

Thanks
Abhi

mpapdp.1984

Oct 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-11-2008
AOR Received.
18-03-2009
File Transfer...
27-10-2009
Med's Request
16-04-2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
abhi292000 said:
Halo mpapdp.1984 ,

Thanks for your quick answer bro..but u sure i if i carry less then that it will be suffice as per CIC rules

Thanks
Abhi
The rule as I read it is not to physically carry the required amount of funds with you, but they should be readily available to be spent. Proof of this can be an original letter/statement of a bank account showing funds readily available for use in Canada.

I think you have to pay some kind of tax if you carry $ 10,000 or more with you in person. Check with others, your agent and the Canadian customs website.

max_lee

May 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2008
AOR Received.
01-11-2008
IELTS Request
02-03-2009
Med's Request
29-05-2009
Med's Done....
10-06-2009
Passport Req..
02-22-1010
VISA ISSUED...
02-25-1010
LANDED..........
01-04-2010
mpapdp.1984 said:
The rule as I read it is not to physically carry the required amount of funds with you, but they should be readily available to be spent. Proof of this can be an original letter/statement of a bank account showing funds readily available for use in Canada.

I think you have to pay some kind of tax if you carry $ 10,000 or more with you in person. Check with others, your agent and the Canadian customs website.
There is no tax to be paid on any money you are carrying as a part of your landing. It is only that you need to declare to the IO/Customs if you are carrying CAD10,000 or more. It is your wish to carry as much as you want in cash, there is no restriction.

Max

mpapdp.1984

Oct 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-11-2008
AOR Received.
18-03-2009
File Transfer...
27-10-2009
Med's Request
16-04-2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
max_lee said:
There is no tax to be paid on any money you are carrying as a part of your landing. It is only that you need to declare to the IO/Customs if you are carrying CAD10,000 or more. It is your wish to carry as much as you want in cash, there is no restriction.

Max
Ok, my bad. You will not be subjected to taxes but you have to declare it on the Customs declaration form.