Landed Immigrants: Share Landing, Job hunt, house hunt & other experience

malu08

Jul 27, 2009
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
rocky272727 said:
Hi,

I am planning to Land in June 2010. Will update my plans soon.

Tc
that gr8 did you book the tickets
which airline and cost?

malu08

Jul 27, 2009
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
qorax said:
The 1st part, what he said, is perfectly/factually [on ground] correct. But, how do u do that -the highlighted part?

Qorax

I assume You have to give false contact references of the company .

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
To be frank, i wouldnt even advise and i hope u dont even think about it at all cause if reference checks are made and fasle information has been discovered. Your credentials will be tarnished to the core, cause the industry will get to know about it and it is considered as a form of cheating! This is a developed country and its unlike developing countries, such as India, Pakistain, Iran, or China! So better keep yr hands clean and not resort to such illegal and dishonest ways!

Honolulu

Jan 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 25th 2009 ( at Sydney)
LANDED..........
December 29th
I agree. It will pretty much be the worst thing a new immigrant can think of in the land of their adoption.
Instead, work the system, develop credentials and move up.
It may be slower but will certainly be surer!

mpapdp.1984

Oct 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-11-2008
AOR Received.
18-03-2009
File Transfer...
27-10-2009
Med's Request
16-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-04-2010 (Reached Ottawa May 4 2010)
Interview........
waived
malu08 said:
For All ,

yesterday I was on call with one of my Indian friend who lives in Toronto . He is working as consultant in IT on contract basis, which he generally prefer over permanent job because of good per hour rates (he is earning 40-50 CAD per hour) and can save taxes. He emphasized a lot on Canadian experience because they prefer to hire person who has been working in Canada over who just came from India and does not have any local history. This is due to security point of view which I could not understand because we all are getting visas after proper background checks and we all are harmless creatures who just want to live good life there.

Workaround for this problem, as he suggested would be to fake the exp and show local exp.

What you guys think about this. Is this the right way to start with?

Thanks
With the mushrooming of desi IT "consultants" and their employees faking experience in the US being very common, North American companies are now well aware of this fact. So be very careful when you try to produce fake experience or you might end up loosing a good offer and burn any possible bridges for the future.

With the mushrooming of IT "consultants" and their people faking experience in the US and Canada is very common and North American employers are now aware of this fact

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Post By hmisabpk

Hi,
Everybody,

I Landed at Toronto, Person International Airport (YYZ), Ontario, Canada on 4th May 2010, by Britishairways flight # BA 0099 via London, at 18:20. (10 Minutes before schedule time, It was quit cold evening in Toronto)
The procedure was very smooth and very easy, following are the details

I was Greeted and welcomed by an Immigration officer and he stamped the passport and directed to go to the New Immigrant welcome counter and then follow the Customs counter.

1. I went to Immigration counter where the officer stamped my passport.

2. I went to the new Immigrant counter given my PR and passport to the officer on counter. He filled my paper and asks me to sing on different place on the form. He ask me my accommodation / residential address which I told him that at this time I can't get may be it is inside in my luggage, but my consultant address was with me, he don't want the consultant office address. So He gives me the PR form and advised to fill later and send by fax on the number (which was on Form)

3. I then proceeded to the Welcome Canada counter there were two counter and I went on both counter one by one, where I was given some pamphlets and books, instructions and a carry bag (on second counter) with regards to settling in Canada and free to go everywhere without paying any thing for government paper process.

4. I was offered help by a porter service company man to collect my luggage. With CAD $10, I was having only one luggage and hand carry. They charge $ 10 for first luggage and $2 for each additional luggage. You can take by yourself trolley and luggage to out without paying any thing.

5. I then proceeded to customs and the officer checked my passports and asked me the list of the goods to be followed and the goods carried along list. He ask me about the fund how much I am carrying, and in which form, I told him it is cash, CAD $ 11700, then he ask me to take out from envelope and show to him. Then I kept back in my pocket. He checked the list of goods to follow there was jewellery's value about CAD $10k, so he ask me if I have the picture of the jewellery's, I was not having so he told me that get by e-mail and come tomorrow same building outside custom office and officer will stamp on the list and picture too for future use.

6. He did not check the list or goods carried along with me, the process was completed in 15 minutes and I was out from the immigration door at 18:35 hours. It was really very pleasant landing experience, People are very nice, kind and warmly welcoming the immigrants on the airport.

7. I just went out and ask the porter to call my transport (Airport pickup) person and keep my trolley on mentioned place. After 20 minuets the car came and picks me and I was reach to my room within 30 minutes.

8. Next day with Gold / jeweler's, picture and goods to follow list I went to the Airport custom office. Officer asks me to use the original forms (I was having the print out download from web site, which was not so clear). I fill the form with totaling the value in CAD Dollar, and brought back to him, he went inside and brought with computerized CBSA printed form and copy of all forms (Luggage with me, Hand carry and Goods to follow List by Cargo and arrive later after 2 week with my spouse and kids)

9. Later I went to Government Service office for my SIN (Social Insurance Number) and received a temp SIN number for myself, were informed that the SIN card would come in a couple of 2 weeks time on my address.

10. Next I went to the Bank CIBC bank, Costumer service officer explain me the different kind of account, I ask her which will be suitable for new Immigrant, She open the "CIBC Everyday Chequing account with standard benefits" (The account is Tax free savings account for once year). The debit card allows the CAD $ 500 per day cash withdraw and CAD $1000 purchases.

11. Next I went to Roger shop for Mobile Connection and got the SIM card for 10$ and 10$ air time credit, it prepaid only have to maintain the credit balance 20 $, no monthly fee, pay as you go rechargeable available in all stores, receiving and calling is same rate 39 cent and from 8pm to 8 am 1 cent including weekend (Saturday/Sunday). For International call use the calling card through your mobile or landline it is very cheap.

12. Checking for family apartment is going on in different areas.

13. Continued for the Job search (Please note you would need to modify your Resume to apply jobs in Canada refer www.settlement.org). This is the other side of the picture that our qualification and experience is not much valued, appreciated or accredited in Canada?? (Just my observation in few days)

14. You will start receiving interview calls once you have a Canadian Address and a Canadian contact number on your resume. (I received calls on my cell and the on land line / residence number).

15. Scheduled for an interview today (Saturday 9th May) with a company. But I was unable to attend because of too cold and chill, I requested them to reschedule for Monday. (It is a survival job not related to my profession, and still I don't know what they are going to offer me the job and salary)

16. Weather become very cold after rain, it is between 9-3 C, in Toronto, Good thing to have winter cloths with you before landing (wind chill is -4C and some areas of Ontario the Ice falling started again) .

17. Meet with many people those are straggling with housing and jobs problems, Dollar are flaying very fast from the packet and from hand every day. If you do not have any relative or friend in Canada It better to be go very economical. It will take some time to Adjust, Depend on your profession; it is taking about 6 - 12 month and more in some cases, to get settled properly. You may get survival job to manage but according to your qualification and profession it will take some time to get.

18. Apartments are in different rate from $ 800 – 1500, 1-2 bed room, it is better to see the location and neighborhood before you rent. Mostly People are living in the community, my advice do not rent through internet search because you do not know the area and neighborhood and on Google map every streets looks very beautiful (My personal opinion)
One more thing coming with family without any arrangement will have more expenses, better to come alone and arrange some house or apartment and then family can follow after few weeks, depend on your situation. (This is what I have done, because we do not have any friend or relative in Canada and Consultants are looking to get your all fund and saving at once for their great settlement help).

19. This was my Landing story, (still I am in the guest house, safehomestay, Good people and area is also OK),
please pray for me to get settled ASAP, I am getting tenses how to manages with very tough situation.
I pray for the success and best of luck for all forum members in their cases and future life in Canada.

20. HOPE IT WILL HELP TO THOS ARE PLANNING TO LAND IN FEW WEEKS. REMEMBER THAT IN TORONTO THE WEATHER IS VERY COLD ESPECIALLY FOR PEOPLE (LIKE US) ARE COMING FROM HOT WEATHER COUNTRIES (GULF OR ASIA)
WITH BEST WISHES

HMISABPK

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Post by rk2009

Hello All,

We finally landed in Toronto on April 30th. In short, the process was extremely smooth, if you want more details read on...

We took a flight from Washington DC to Toronto on April 30th, it was the shortest international flight we ever took (1hr!). The plane itself was a United express shuttle with two seats on one side and one on the other and 18 rows. To both of us we felt royal as though in a private charter.

Things happened too quickly as my employer agreed that I could work in my canadian subsidiary for a month and do the landing formalities.

While leaving the US I ensured that my I94 was collected by the airline, they almost forgot and I had to remind them. Around 40 minutes into the flight a customs card was provided, we filled some details but were not sure of the address to be written in "Home Address".

We landed and continued towards immigration, I am unsure if it was the timing but the lines were completely empty. In front of us was a group who all were asked to stand together in a counter so that freed up a lot of counters.

The person who was managing the lines could not answer our question on Home address and asked us to enquire with the officer.

The officers were so free at that time that a few of the officers huddled together to help at the counter where this group was being attended to. Anyways, we were asked to proceed to an empty counter where a lady came in later. I do not remember the exact order of questions but it went something like this:

Officer: Do you both speak English
me: Yes

Officer: Are you landing today?

Officer: Give me your passport and the landing papers and custom card.

me: We are not sure on "Home Address" in the customs card.
officer: Where do you reside permanently?

me: Well we are coming from the US but we are citizens of India
officer: Fill in the Indian address.

Officer: Are you coming from the US?

Officer: Do you intend to flyback within 30 days?
me: No ( I think this question came up because I still have a valid US Visa)

Officer: Where are you living here in Canada during the stay
me: We have accommodation in Canada.

Officer: OK, is this place an apartment or a Hotel
me: Its a place for temporary stay that we have arranged, its not a hotel but a furnished apartment.

Officer: I cannot apply for your PR card today because you don't have a permanent place to stay,
me: (a bit worried) But we would be in the address for a month, wont it be coming within that timeframe?

Officer: It takes 6 weeks but the time cannot be guaranteed, we don't want it to be used by someone else to steal your identity. I will provide you a fax form and a number, fax them the card when you get a place to stay in.

me: OK

Officer: You do understand that without a PR card if you travel out of Canada, you have to get a authorization to validate and travel back to Canada, even for the US?

me: Yes, I understand ( thinking she probably doesn't know I visit this forum often )

Officer: Alright, welcome to Canada!
me: Thank you!

The officer basically took my wife's papers and gave us back the COPR which had the watermark - "not authorized as a travel document"

Next, we spotted a currency exchange counter as we had only USD and traveler's checks. We first exchanged some cash and enquired if they took travelers checks. She said yes and claimed that they would provide the best rates not even available in banks. She also promised to waive off the $4.95 processing fee.

Well, this was our mistake we did not cross verify and parted with half our money. at a rate of 0.92 to the USD we didn't realize that we were paid less ( next day for the rest of the money in a bank it was 0.99 to USD and a few days ago it went even up). It was definitely not fluctuation but just how the exchange was done in the airport.

Next, we went to customs, my wife had already pre-filled and printed the goods to carry and goods to follow lists ( I found a fillable version in British expat forums) . Again, here the counters were empty, the guy at the counter asked for the goods to follow and did not even consider the goods to carry. We had a excel cover sheet apart from the form and he asked us to total the value, which took us a bit of time. He asked us how we were shipping the goods.

He went out and came back with a printed voucher of sort and told us to keep it just in case the courier is stopped at customs and we might be called.

He then asked us to proceed out towards the exit. Overall the customs+ immigration+ money exchange took an hour and at no point did we feel unwelcome or in lack of documentation.

We then took a cab to our destination and were happy to be in Canada.

We later got an email from UPS telling us that our shipment was held because they needed clarification on what we were shipping, I called into UPS and they just needed to know what the goods were, after we explained he said he had noted it and it should be OK.

We called in next day to check and the boxes were released without an issue ( no call from customs !) and were received next day.

if you guys are interested I can share my experience about local systems like SIN, Bank accounts, getting a cellphone, talking to the neighborhood new immigrant assistance, cost of living, television programming etc. Of course this would be in comparison to how it is in Virginia, US.

Hope this is of use to help to you guys, I had a pleasant landing and really like the country. Its chilly in the evening in Toronto but all the warm people that I have met offsets that easily.

sifarsen

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
Kolkata
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC,ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08 Apr 08
Doc's Request.
21 Apr 09
Med's Request
06 Nov 09
Med's Done....
08 Dec 09
Passport Req..
06 Nov 09
VISA ISSUED...
06 Jan 09
LANDED..........
04 June 10
rocky272727 said:
Hi,

I am planning to Land in June 2010. Will update my plans soon.

Tc
Hi Rocky,
When are you planning to land...I will be flying to toronto on 4th June from Abu Dhabi..Let me know if you are also flying in the same week...good luck

bdg

Star Member
Apr 8, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2015
AOR Received.
30-12-2015
File Transfer...
18-01-2016
Med's Done....
05-10-2015
Passport Req..
09-06-2016
Thats very helpful, really. good information.
Keep on posting...

chefsam

Star Member
May 2, 2010
india
Category........
Visa Office......
New delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-04-2010
AOR Received.
Med's Request
4/3/2013
Med's Done....
16/3/2013
Passport Req..
4/3/2013
hi seniors
i have send my application to ns in april 2010. i am tourism instructor. actually i am bit confused about my decission because i don't have any relative or friend in canada.

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
rocky272727 said:
Post by rk2009

Hello All,

We finally landed in Toronto on April 30th. In short, the process was extremely smooth, if you want more details read on...
Good luck on your new life in Toronto. Thanks for the post.

Yes, please share also your experiences in the local system.

Cheers!

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sifarsen said:
Hi Rocky,
When are you planning to land...I will be flying to toronto on 4th June from Abu Dhabi..Let me know if you are also flying in the same week...good luck
I will let you know :D...happy landing

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Post by gerrybyrne

Finally landed in Toronto on the Saturday 1st of May. Went to first customs desk and were referred to the immigration section. Here we were asked where we intended to stay and the official filled out our landing forms, and we had to show proof of funds. The officer was very polite and welcomed us to Canada. We then went on to the next officer who was also very polite. Again we had to show the proof of funds and handed him a copy of our Goods To Follow list. He also filled out the application for Permanent Residence then also welcomed us to Canada. It was a very easy process.
We went to Services Canada on monday and got our S.I.N. numbers which took about 15 minutes. On Tuesday we went to the bank ( TD Canada Trust ) and lodged our two bank drafts. These took 5 working days to clear which I have been informed was extremely quick.
For driving we had to contact our licensing authority back home for a LETTER OF AUTHENTICITY which we have to show to Canada,s licensing office. This letter entitles us to apply for the G2 exit driving test which if we successfully pass will give us the full G liscense. one problem though is there is a backlog in the driving tests due to a strike which thankfully is now over.
Today I am going to the ministry in Toronto to get my job qualifications verified. I will keep you guys posted on that.
Bye for now.

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
********************************************************************************************
Hi, Everybody

Following are the little update in my other landing, job hunt and housing observations which I would like to share with you and I hope it will be help full to my brothers and sisters (especially newcomers like me)

Here on all TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) subway Stations or on bus stops you can find the weekly free magazines and news papers there are many and very useful, for job hunting, job search, house or apartment rental, buying the new house , real state, and government help centers,
few are mentioned below.

My little contribution may will be helpful to others.

1. Jobclassified.ca (free weekly issue):
link http://www.jobclassified.ca/?ContentID=c0ae9356-c131-4ada-bc1f-9c6d8243bee3

2. the jobguide (free weekly edition ) : no link / no electronic edition/ no link

3. canadianimigrant.ca/jobs (weekly free magazine published & sponsored by ca.gov, Ontario edition) :
http://www.canadianimmigration.ca/

4. YMCA center for newcomers : link :
www.ymcatoronto.org/newcomers or http://ymcatoronto.org/en/index.html

other many private job sits and the links are mentioned many times by our seniors forum members
few are below:

http://jobs-emplois.gc.ca/

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/lifeevents/job.shtml

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/

http://jb-ge.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/Intro_eng.aspx

http://www.canjobs.com/

http://www.canadajobs.com/

http://www.career.com/Career/LayoutScripts/Crrl_JobSearch.aspx

http://www.monster.ca/

http://www.jobbus.com/

http://www.eluta.ca/

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/

http://www.jobsetc.gc.ca/eng/

http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/index-eng.htm

http://www.pao.gov.ab.ca/jobs/

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/job-emploi/menu-eng.html

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/welcome.do?lang=en

http://www.bestjobsca.com/

FOR APARTMENTS/HOUSES/CONDOS THE FOLLOWING MAGAZINES FREE AVAILABLE ON ALL MOST ALL TTC (TORONTO TRANSIT COMMISSION) BUS STOP AND SUBWAY STATIONS AND OTHER USEFUL LINKS:

www.ttc.ca
http://www3.ttc.ca/

1. RESALE Home and Condos : (all Magazines are published by same publisher and have same link)
(http://www.hometrader.ca/

2. RENTERS NEWS
http://www.hometrader.ca/

3. Condoguide

4. Newhomes

5. http://cmhc.ca/housingmarketinformation/

6.http://www.viewit.ca/

7.http://www.247apartments.com/

8.http://www.myhood.ca/

9.http://www.rentcanada.com/toronto/

10.http://www.torontohomerentals.com/

11.http://www.rentershotline.ca/

12.http://www.torontosuites.com/

13.http://www.gottarent.com/

14.http://www.realstar.ca/?gclid=CJjl3pqSyaECFROG5godlVBWcQ

15.http://toronto.kijiji.ca

16.http://www.sublet.com/town_rentals/Canada/TorontoArea_Towns.asp

17.http://www.roomster.com

18.http://www.canadahomesforsale.ca/?gclid=CISgm9mSyaECFZNC5godbCSzdw

19.http://myarea.rtrk.ca/?scid=46393&kw=922175:3&pub_cr_id=6165144763

20.http://real-ontario.com/rent-to-own-homes-toronto.html

and many more are there offering lease to own the house but my few suggestion and tips on housing are following:

1. Do not be hurry to buy the house or apartment immediately after landing, stay few month on rent and check the neighborhood and area if you like in same area try to buy.

2. Check the rout to the center city, highway and routs of TTC subway & buses.

3. Check the all features , utilities, facilities offered by the building management or landowner

4. How much is convenient to School, shopping, play ground, park, gyms, library, and governments offices.

5. What amenities are there, what type appliances included, or furnitures,

6.MOST IMPORTANT THING TO CHECK THE SCHOOL ON HOW MUCH DISTANCE, ELEMENTARY/PRIMARY, MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL (ACCORDING TO YOUR KIDS)

AND ONE THING MORE

WHAT IS THE RANK OF THE SCHOOL (WHICH YOU CAN CHECK BY THE NAME OF THE SCHOOL)

THE LINK IS :

http://www.tdsb.on.ca/

OR

check the following link

http://www.tdsb.on.ca/wwwdocuments/about_us/external_research_application/docs/LOI2009.pdf

My Best wishes and regards to all of you, May almighty God bless every one and Help all in getting the success in their life.
May I will update more after couple of days

HMISABPK

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/skilled-worker-professional-immigration-b4.0/