Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-October-2009
IELTS Request
overall - 8 (7 above in each)
LANDED..........
5-July-2010
I landed on 5th July....Today i got my PR card today. I opened my account with TD and today got my first Bank Statement as well. Will be going to apply for the OHIP this week....Gave my G2 road test on 30th July and got the License via mail on 10th....

hirentank

Sep 7, 2009
Mumbai, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Landing on 16th Jan, 11.
rocky272727 said:
Got a job in a bank
Congrats rocky272727!
It's a remarkable achievement, getting a decent job within 3 months of landing!
That's in a time when it's difficult to get even a survival job!

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
rocky272727 said:
Got a job in a bank
good job Rocky... modus operandi?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
gcctocanada said:
Bro Rocky, are there WIFI spots there like here in ME? in foodchains or coffee shoppes? tnx again :D
Yes, there r.
Starbucks -same as all over the world & in other coffee shops as well. Besides, your Neighborhood Community Centre would offer u that facility. And u'd also have the same in the food courts of many Malls, I found it in Fairview, Yorkdale, Sq. One (@Empire Theaters arena) & few others.

Qorax

jaguar_paw

Jul 10, 2010
rocky272727 said:
Post by rk2009

Hello All,

We finally landed in Toronto on April 30th. In short, the process was extremely smooth, if you want more details read on...

We took a flight from Washington DC to Toronto on April 30th, it was the shortest international flight we ever took (1hr!). The plane itself was a United express shuttle with two seats on one side and one on the other and 18 rows. To both of us we felt royal as though in a private charter.

Things happened too quickly as my employer agreed that I could work in my canadian subsidiary for a month and do the landing formalities.

While leaving the US I ensured that my I94 was collected by the airline, they almost forgot and I had to remind them. Around 40 minutes into the flight a customs card was provided, we filled some details but were not sure of the address to be written in "Home Address".

We landed and continued towards immigration, I am unsure if it was the timing but the lines were completely empty. In front of us was a group who all were asked to stand together in a counter so that freed up a lot of counters.

The person who was managing the lines could not answer our question on Home address and asked us to enquire with the officer.

The officers were so free at that time that a few of the officers huddled together to help at the counter where this group was being attended to. Anyways, we were asked to proceed to an empty counter where a lady came in later. I do not remember the exact order of questions but it went something like this:

Officer: Do you both speak English
me: Yes

Officer: Are you landing today?

Officer: Give me your passport and the landing papers and custom card.

me: We are not sure on "Home Address" in the customs card.
officer: Where do you reside permanently?

me: Well we are coming from the US but we are citizens of India
officer: Fill in the Indian address.

Officer: Are you coming from the US?

Officer: Do you intend to flyback within 30 days?
me: No ( I think this question came up because I still have a valid US Visa)

Officer: Where are you living here in Canada during the stay
me: We have accommodation in Canada.

Officer: OK, is this place an apartment or a Hotel
me: Its a place for temporary stay that we have arranged, its not a hotel but a furnished apartment.

Officer: I cannot apply for your PR card today because you don't have a permanent place to stay,
me: (a bit worried) But we would be in the address for a month, wont it be coming within that timeframe?

Officer: It takes 6 weeks but the time cannot be guaranteed, we don't want it to be used by someone else to steal your identity. I will provide you a fax form and a number, fax them the card when you get a place to stay in.

me: OK

Officer: You do understand that without a PR card if you travel out of Canada, you have to get a authorization to validate and travel back to Canada, even for the US?

me: Yes, I understand ( thinking she probably doesn't know I visit this forum often )

Officer: Alright, welcome to Canada!
me: Thank you!

The officer basically took my wife's papers and gave us back the COPR which had the watermark - "not authorized as a travel document"

Next, we spotted a currency exchange counter as we had only USD and traveler's checks. We first exchanged some cash and enquired if they took travelers checks. She said yes and claimed that they would provide the best rates not even available in banks. She also promised to waive off the $4.95 processing fee.

Well, this was our mistake we did not cross verify and parted with half our money. at a rate of 0.92 to the USD we didn't realize that we were paid less ( next day for the rest of the money in a bank it was 0.99 to USD and a few days ago it went even up). It was definitely not fluctuation but just how the exchange was done in the airport.

Next, we went to customs, my wife had already pre-filled and printed the goods to carry and goods to follow lists ( I found a fillable version in British expat forums) . Again, here the counters were empty, the guy at the counter asked for the goods to follow and did not even consider the goods to carry. We had a excel cover sheet apart from the form and he asked us to total the value, which took us a bit of time. He asked us how we were shipping the goods.

He went out and came back with a printed voucher of sort and told us to keep it just in case the courier is stopped at customs and we might be called.

He then asked us to proceed out towards the exit. Overall the customs+ immigration+ money exchange took an hour and at no point did we feel unwelcome or in lack of documentation.

We then took a cab to our destination and were happy to be in Canada.

We later got an email from UPS telling us that our shipment was held because they needed clarification on what we were shipping, I called into UPS and they just needed to know what the goods were, after we explained he said he had noted it and it should be OK.

We called in next day to check and the boxes were released without an issue ( no call from customs !) and were received next day.

if you guys are interested I can share my experience about local systems like SIN, Bank accounts, getting a cellphone, talking to the neighborhood new immigrant assistance, cost of living, television programming etc. Of course this would be in comparison to how it is in Virginia, US.

Hope this is of use to help to you guys, I had a pleasant landing and really like the country. Its chilly in the evening in Toronto but all the warm people that I have met offsets that easily.
Thank you Rocky for post. Just wanted to clarify below:

Well, this was our mistake we did not cross verify and parted with half our money. at a rate of 0.92 to the USD we didn't realize that we were paid less ( next day for the rest of the money in a bank it was 0.99 to USD and a few days ago it went even up). It was definitely not fluctuation but just how the exchange was done in the airport.

As I understand you exchanged US dollars to CAD and with rate 0.92 to the USD you actually was paid MORE neither than with rate 0.99 to USD . Am i right?

A

anushauc

Congrads Rocky.

Which bank and as what ? When are you starting?
Where r u put up? We should all meet up sometime - as a group of landed immigrants and share our experiences in person.

Regards

mailvdutt

Dec 29, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-sep-2009
Doc's Request.
20-nov-2009
File Transfer...
25-Nov-2009
Med's Request
06-Apr-2010
Med's Done....
13-Apr-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-Apr-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-May-2010
LANDED..........
28-jul-2010
I landed in Vancouver on 28-jul-2010 and started by job search and last week i got contract in my area of IT .
IT Job market in Canada is good.

I wanted to land in Toronto , but landed in Vancouver as my wife got transfer from her Indian employer to Vancouver.
Vancouver IT job opportunities are less as compared to Toronto.

Note: I had earlier worked in Toronto in 2006 for 8 months and my customer (fortune 500 company) was willing to give reference for me.

Before coming in May-2010 i had posted my resume on Monster and took virtual number for Toronto so that potential employers can call me locally(The call would get transfered to my mobile in India).This was expensive , but this is very important as we can test water before we land.

Please note my job search experience can be different as i have worked in Canada, USA, Singapore with big fortune 500 companies.
I would recommend testing waters before coming to Canada.

Also keep a copy of your police verification as employers as for the same.

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sam2Canada said:
Rocky

Congratulations for getting job. I will be landing in next month. As I posted earlier, I managed to get job transfer (India to Toronto) from my current employer, I have a question regarding mailing address. I will be in hotel for couple of week before moving to apartment. So can I give my employer's address as mailing address for PR? Will IO accpet commercial address (employer's address) as my mailing address.

Else what are the option available? I dont have any friend or relative in Canada. :(

Thanks
Sam
It should not be a problem and thanks for the wishes.

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hirentank said:
Congrats rocky272727!
It's a remarkable achievement, getting a decent job within 3 months of landing!
That's in a time when it's difficult to get even a survival job!
Thanks...keep your resume streamlined and as per the job make it the way they want it. Best of luck

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anushauc said:
Congrads Rocky.

Which bank and as what ? When are you starting?
Where r u put up? We should all meet up sometime - as a group of landed immigrants and share our experiences in person.

Regards
Will do that soon. Will post about it later soon.

atifhassankhan

Star Member
Jan 26, 2010
Hi,

congratulations. i have a good friend in bell canada. if u need cheap TV, internet, home phone or mobile connections, just send an email or your contact number and they will contact you and you can make a deal.

dratifhassankhan@yahoo.com

thanks
atif

mailvdutt

Dec 29, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-sep-2009
Doc's Request.
20-nov-2009
File Transfer...
25-Nov-2009
Med's Request
06-Apr-2010
Med's Done....
13-Apr-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-Apr-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-May-2010
LANDED..........
28-jul-2010
For car insurance get letter from india
that u have no claim for last 1-4 years
insurance company will give you
discount upto 40 percent at least in
Vancouver

Irmaar

Jun 4, 2010
Hello Everybody,

Wanted to share my landing experience, I Landed with my wife and 3 childrens at Toronto, Person International Airport Canada on 20th August 2010 by Britishairways BA0099 from Saudi Arabia.
I went to Immigration counter and inform him that I am here to complete my landing procudere. Officer asked if we have completed the forms which was given in the plane. We have given the completed forms and passport to the officer. He marked 7 on the forms and return back the forms and passport. I was Greeted and directed to go to the New Immigrant welcome counter. When we reached New Immigrant counter, officer saw the forms and suggested us to wait. Then another officer came from the cabin and invited us to come with landing papers. He saw the landing papers and our passport and verified the names on both the documents. He entered all the information in his computer and told us to sign on the landing papers. Then he stamped arrival date on our passports and on landing papers and return back our passports with visa cancelled and a copy of landing papers. He suggested to keep landing papers safe until we get our citizenship. Then we moved to Welcome Canada counter, there were two counter and we went to both counters, where I was given some pamphlets and books, instructions and a carry bag. Then we proceed to baggage area where porter service guys ask if we need any help (At first we thought they are also officers). I took two trolley by paying 2+2 dollars by my credit card. We took our luggage and proceed to Customs counter (for new immigrants, custom counter is in different area). once reached at Customs, Custom officer greated us and asked about funds we are carrying. We inform that we are having cash and drafts which is exceeding 10,000 dollars. He brought a form and wrote all the details about the draft and cash and requested to sign on that form. When we showed the Gold / jeweler's pictures and goods to follow list. Officer suggest us whenever he are leaving outside Canada, then get the gold pictures sign before leaving, so that while entering Canada again, there will be no customs on that gold items. He printed goods to follow form and asked us when we are getting the list items. We inform it may be in 6-9 months, then he has given the forms and advice us to keep safe until we get listed items. Then we proceed to to exit gate.

Many Thanks to Qorax, rocky272727, HMISABPK and all senior members of this form for posting their reviews. It helped a lot.

May god bless you all.

Many Thanks,

Irmaar.