App. Filed.......
29-01-2009
VISA ISSUED...
29-06-2010
LANDED..........
29-07-2010
diniga said:
Hi everyone,

I have one passport valid from May 2009 to May 2014.
My 4 years period is from Jan 2010 to Jan 2014.
So my passport is covering the 4 years period but it will expire during the citizenship application process.
My question was then :
Would I be obliged by CIC to have a valid passport or they will take the one covering the 4 years period?
If they want to know why I didn't renew my passport. Well I don't want to travel anywhere for the near futur.
And having a passport is not mandatory.
diniga said:
Hi everyone,

I have one passport valid from May 2009 to May 2014.
My 4 years period is from Jan 2010 to Jan 2014.
So my passport is covering the 4 years period but it will expire during the citizenship application process.
My question was then :
Would I be obliged by CIC to have a valid passport or they will take the one covering the 4 years period?
If they want to know why I didn't renew my passport. Well I don't want to travel anywhere for the near futur.
And having a passport is not mandatory.
diniga, To remind you, you are not in your home country where you could say that passport is not mandatory. you are in other country and you are still not citizen, so passport is the primary evidence of your existence.

you still have time to renew your passport, because your citizenship application process, I am in the same boat, my passport expires in 2015.

May be some other guys, have this issue before, can share their experience.

thanks

canadp

diniga

Star Member
Aug 22, 2013
canadp said:
diniga, To remind you, you are not in your home country where you could say that passport is not mandatory. you are in other country and you are still not citizen, so passport is the primary evidence of your existence.

you still have time to renew your passport, because your citizenship application process, I am in the same boat, my passport expires in 2015.

May be some other guys, have this issue before, can share their experience.

thanks

canadp
how the passport is the primary evidence of existence?
There is a lot of other documents such as PR card, SIN, Health Card, Driver license, etc
As I know passport is just a travel document nothing more than that. But it is the same of one these documents i listed above when it comes to
identification.
And it doesnt mean anything that I am not citizen because I wouldnt be here asking questions on citizenship.
Maybe I have to remind you that the only difference between a PR and a citizen is the right of vote, nothing more.
And finally when I am asking questions, it is concerning the procedures. What is asked and what is not.
Stop underestimating yourself.

MR Stephen Harper

Jan 12, 2014
Diniga, you don't need to apply for a foreign passport inorder for you to satisfy you CANADIAN citizenship application.It makes no sense really and canadp is confusing him/herself if they are implying otherwise.I am submitting my application on February 10th. and my passport will expire on September 2015. They could ask you for copies of any pages in your passport even if its expired, if need be, so just keep It and don't worry about it. ANd yes, you are right, your drivers license, PR card and health care card serve perfectly as proof of "existence!"

canadp

Feb 25, 2009
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2009
VISA ISSUED...
29-06-2010
LANDED..........
29-07-2010
If your passport covering 4 years is not expired at the time of application then this passport is OK.

Ask CIC about your question if you have expired passport at the time of interview if that is acceptable.

Canadp

MR Stephen Harper

Jan 12, 2014
That's in my opinion obviously acceptable...but yes it doesn't hurt to confirm with CIC. I still think it doesn't make sense to apply for a new foreign passport in order to satisfy the citizenship application requirements no matter which period of time.

canadp

Feb 25, 2009
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2009
VISA ISSUED...
29-06-2010
LANDED..........
29-07-2010
diniga said:
how the passport is the primary evidence of existence?
There is a lot of other documents such as PR card, SIN, Health Card, Driver license, etc
As I know passport is just a travel document nothing more than that. But it is the same of one these documents i listed above when it comes to
identification.
And it doesnt mean anything that I am not citizen because I wouldnt be here asking questions on citizenship.
Maybe I have to remind you that the only difference between a PR and a citizen is the right of vote, nothing more.
And finally when I am asking questions, it is concerning the procedures. What is asked and what is not.
Stop underestimating yourself.
I shared what I know, I did not said that you believe in that. Everyone in this forum is not expert that's why we joined here to share our experience.

If you strongly believe in what you believe, it's ok. I didn't say that you are wrong.

Also did you read my other post where I SUGGEST you to ask CIC.

If you took it otherwise I am sorry.

canadp

canadp

Feb 25, 2009
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2009
VISA ISSUED...
29-06-2010
LANDED..........
29-07-2010
MR Stephen Harper said:
Diniga, you don't need to apply for a foreign passport inorder for you to satisfy you CANADIAN citizenship application.It makes no sense really and canadp is confusing him/herself if they are implying otherwise.I am submitting my application on February 10th. and my passport will expire on September 2015. They could ask you for copies of any pages in your passport even if its expired, if need be, so just keep It and don't worry about it. ANd yes, you are right, your drivers license, PR card and health care card serve perfectly as proof of "existence!"
Mr Harper,

If you are smart, I understand and accept it but please do not indicate other people are foolish.

You are replying as if you are replying on behalf of CIC.

Thanks for joining this forum, I believe you will be helpful to more people here.

MR Stephen Harper

Jan 12, 2014
Canadp, nobody indicated you are foolish, so don't take anything personal..Im giving you my opinion on this passport matter and stating the fact that one needs to also use their common sense as well whilst going through the citizenship application. Everything that one needs to know is the instructions guide and if one isn't sure, should call CIC, just like you mentioned too. Everything that one needs to know is in the instructions guide really and all is clearly written in there. Yes, please, continue to express your thoughts and opinions, we live in a free country after all.

MR Stephen Harper

Jan 12, 2014
Pakcan 2013, if I may ask, did you send your application with priority mail? and are you having someone sign for it once It arrives or no?

diniga

Star Member
Aug 22, 2013
Hi everyone,
We are on the same boat and we are all right. lets share information and please we have to be humble.
If I upset someone in the forum with my question, please forgive and it is my fault.
thanks

PakCan2013

Star Member
May 28, 2013
MR Stephen Harper said:
Pakcan 2013, if I may ask, did you send your application with priority mail? and are you having someone sign for it once It arrives or no?
Hi Mr Harper,
Yes some one will sign for me upon receipt.

canadp

Feb 25, 2009
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2009
VISA ISSUED...
29-06-2010
LANDED..........
29-07-2010
OK. I got it. Let's forget the past n just be friends

MR Stephen Harper

Jan 12, 2014
PakCan2013,ok;now isnt that risky to have that sign up feature on your documents that you mailed? Coz if say your documents arrive after hours or nobody is there to sign for those documents,it will get returned to the courier companies stock shelves and eventually mailed back to you.That risk is there isnt it?

PakCan2013

Star Member
May 28, 2013
MR Stephen Harper said:
PakCan2013,ok;now isnt that risky to have that sign up feature on your documents that you mailed? Coz if say your documents arrive after hours or nobody is there to sign for those documents,it will get returned to the courier companies stock shelves and eventually mailed back to you.That risk is there isnt it?
Normally they deliver during working hours