+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it really worth it?

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
Well I never looked there for anything.
Back of my mind, I don't want to go.
But feels like I am compelled, obligated and pushed to go there.
Since the visa situation is screwed up here.
I just can't wait for november, either to go or let the PR expire.
I guess I am hesitant....about Canada.

I can tell you right now that you should forget about Canada. This level of passivity will not get you a job there.

CANPR12

Star Member
Feb 22, 2017
I just wonder how much fun is it to keep contributing to social security and medicare on H1B every month over the years and still not be sure of ever benefiting out of it? ....In a way its money you are just throwing down the drain. I would say take a lesser pay , have peace of mind and contribute into a social security system which you can expect to be paid back when you need it in your retirement (Canada) !

Last edited:

aashay12

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo transferred to ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 2011
Med's Request
25th october 2013
Med's Done....
yes
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
first week of january
VISA ISSUED...
24/1/14
LANDED..........
13 nov, a day before the visa expires
One thing I will miss if I ever leave, is my Red Necks, bums, drug dealers,
Gunshots in the hood, gun loving brothers, squad cars.....haha...jokes apart I should try harder to look for a job there.....really stop visiting this forum and start working on getting a job there, even that I don't really want go there after almost 10 plus years here. i wish I finished what I started, it would not let me in this mess I am in today....it was my mistake and I am paying for it....

Vaibhav.goel85

Star Member
Mar 10, 2017
NOC Code......
I just wonder how much fun is it to keep contributing to social security and medicare on H1B every month over the years and still not be sure of ever benefiting out of it? ....In a way its money you are just throwing down the drain. I would say take a lesser pay , have peace of mind and contribute into a social security system which you can expect to be paid back when you need it in your retirement (Canada) !
I think if you have 40 credits you can claim it even if you are not citizen.
40 credit means 10 years.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016

http://imgur.com/91qsdcm

Salary levels in Toronto and Vancouver compared to US.. Best talent of Canada gets lot less pay than good talent of US. Something to ponder. Survey method looks good too. They have taken top 25 colleges from US and Canada, and baselined to 3 year experience.

Low wage + lot higher rent + lot higher others costs of living (like car insurance, grocery etc).. probably nil savings, if not deficit in Canada.! Huge premium!

RD1

Aug 7, 2017
If you are going to Alberta you should get the provincial medical coverage immediately. At least that is how it was when I moved there over two years back. If you move to Alberta from any other province then there is wait time of 3 months. Keep in mind there is lot of stuff that provincial health plan does not cover, usually that supplemental coverage is provided through employment health coverage.

When I first landed I did not fill up goods to follow form, when I finally moved I was still able import my few household stuff and car duty free.

As far as whether its worth it or not, its difficult to answer. More or less depends upon your situation and whats your emphasis on. Yes you are right this is no easy decision to make. I moved after 11 years in US. I know it first hand, with family it becomes even tougher choice to make. Believe me I feel for you, but unfortunately nobody can answer that question for you. One thing I would suggest, do not compare US and Canada as if its one to one comparison. US and Canada are two different countries, the more you compare more miserable you will feel. Also if you plan to leave US, don't be in a hurry to get back to US as soon as possible, enjoy the stay here with its ups and downs. I will admit I made the same mistake, you will too but try to minimize it. I even had a full plan to return to US once my priority date was close to getting current, right now I am not so sure that I even want to live in US anymore.

US is far more attractive on its surface than Canada, Canada takes time to warm up to you. But today if someone asks me which country to migrate to .....without hesitation I will say pick Canada over US anytime. Its not a position that I had when I moved to Canada mind you, it takes time to get used to Canada.

Yes economy is smaller, yes competition is much more ,yes salaries are low, yes taxes are higher, yes insurance rates are high, yes groceries cost more, yes its far more colder up here.......but I live with much more peace of mind.

I will not sugar coat it, its been a tidy struggle. When I moved to Canada I was still working remotely for the US company. Worked remotely for close to a year, unfortunately they went bankrupt and I was laid off. Got a contract job, then found another job, then got laid off, then moved to West Coast , found another job, closely missed another layoff.....so life goes, but I will say I live with much more peace of mind.
Hello,

I am preparing to make my move to Canada from US and going by your story I feel like I can learn and get valuable info from you that will help me make the move. Can I get to talk to you over phone ? I can leave my phone # in this thread if you reply to this message so that you don't have to share your phone # in open forum.

mshaikh

Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-06-2011
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-10-2011 (Initial review is complete)
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
Buffalo - Ottawa (June 2012)
Med's Request
23-10-2013
Med's Done....
21-11-2013
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
13-2-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2014
LANDED..........
23-9-2014
okay, so i packed and moved to Canada. Had a job interview didn't pan out. Now I am living in Brampton, ON and boy I cannot adjust to Canada at all. The place I live is basically a nicer India. Which I should love. But I guess I am just way too used to USA after living there for 9 years. I think about going back everyday. And I am being told by people who moved from USA to never compare the two countries if you want to live in Canada. That just adds to your frustration I guess.

Anyways, I am looking for job. There are no opportunities as of now since IT market as we all know is tiny compared to US.

Will see how this goes.

Jeksis

Mar 5, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa / New York
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-07-2017
Doc's Request.
24-08-2017
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
17-07-2017
IELTS Request
24-08-2017
Med's Done....
26-07-2017
Passport Req..
06-11-2017
LANDED..........
02-12-2017
okay, so i packed and moved to Canada. Had a job interview didn't pan out. Now I am living in Brampton, ON and boy I cannot adjust to Canada at all. The place I live is basically a nicer India. Which I should love. But I guess I am just way too used to USA after living there for 9 years. I think about going back everyday. And I am being told by people who moved from USA to never compare the two countries if you want to live in Canada. That just adds to your frustration I guess.

Anyways, I am looking for job. There are no opportunities as of now since IT market as we all know is tiny compared to US.

Will see how this goes.
Are you saying Canada is nicer than India but not nicer than US? How long have you been living in Canada? What strategy are you using for your job search? Wish you all the best.

Jeksis

Mar 5, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa / New York
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-07-2017
Doc's Request.
24-08-2017
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
17-07-2017
IELTS Request
24-08-2017
Med's Done....
26-07-2017
Passport Req..
06-11-2017
LANDED..........
02-12-2017
Social security contributions made under H1B cannot be claimed in retirement if one does not become PR or citizen of US??? Please someone clarify urgently!!!

mshaikh

Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-06-2011
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-10-2011 (Initial review is complete)
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
Buffalo - Ottawa (June 2012)
Med's Request
23-10-2013
Med's Done....
21-11-2013
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
13-2-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2014
LANDED..........
23-9-2014
Canada is no where close to USA no. I am looking on workopolis and indeed.

You will get social security benefits if you complete 40 credits by working a min of 10 years. This is regardless of your immigration status. It doesn't matter if you're in India. However, this is true for India and I don't know if it applies to other countries. It depends on your countries agreement with USA somehow.

boatyyo

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017

You will get social security benefits if you complete 40 credits by working a min of 10 years. This is regardless of your immigration status. It doesn't matter if you're in India. However, this is true for India and I don't know if it applies to other countries. It depends on your countries agreement with USA somehow.
What is your domain? Can you elaborate more on the reason's for lack of jobs - is it just there are lesser jobs in the market or is the hiring process different, are you getting calls from recruiters?

Reactions: Jeksis

Jeksis

Mar 5, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa / New York
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-07-2017
Doc's Request.
24-08-2017
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
17-07-2017
IELTS Request
24-08-2017
Med's Done....
26-07-2017
Passport Req..
06-11-2017
LANDED..........
02-12-2017

Seems its generally considered more rewarding to job hunt through networking.

Please can you share source of information regarding social security? I tried to find on the SSA.gov website to no avail. Thanks.