Interview........
no
Passport Req..
first week of january
VISA ISSUED...
24/1/14
LANDED..........
13 nov, a day before the visa expires
Comfort zone, your network built over time and certanity about financial stability are some factors which
makes me at ease to stay here. Getting a job is dificult there and if you lose one, then finding another one is challenge.
The million dollar question is either to choose a known devil or unknown stranger.
My only reason to Canada is to travel to India to meet my family stress free, besides that i have
no interest in Canada. People who have lived in Canada and migrated from here, and say its not easy and
very challenging than US. Smaller market makes it more challenging.
But a great country for families.
Worst case scenario is live and work there and come bank on TN visa.

can0401

Mar 6, 2017
Looks like you made up your mind to stay in US.

Can't you try remote for your current job or one of could move and search after child birth ? I know few people who moved and nobody is sounding like you sounded. Like no one is impoverished of money and all that.

you are 33 now and kids not in school, and best positioned to move. You get first world country's citizenship in a time equivalent to one h1b extension of US. Your affinity to US could probably a comfort zone thing.

I'll highlight you some worst cases with immigration in US:

EB2 priority never going to cross 2009-2011 for next ten years at a minimum. Congress is highly dysfunctional and unlikely to touch bills related to immigration in near future as it has become highly sensitive issue. Obama tried to pass comprehensive immigration reform and failed twice. And the current system is working fine for everyone except Indians and there is no plan for anyone in white house to fix the system as they don't consider it as broken. If you need a proof, you could check family priority date of Mexico.. it's 1995. Mexicans have strong political support and even they aren't able to do anything for this. Indian employment priority date will start looking so soon.

The only hope for Indians .. the bill to remove country cap hr392 is already dead. The bill's founder chaffez is going to retire from congress this year and he last week told in a interview that bill is dead already.

And they are keen on changing H1b rules.. We are already witnessing many unusual denials. Imagine a scenario where they raise the wage so high and not being able to file an extension.

You should probably ponder this before your final decision. Good luck.
Well said !!

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Comfort zone, your network built over time and certanity about financial stability are some factors which
makes me at ease to stay here. Getting a job is dificult there and if you lose one, then finding another one is challenge.
The million dollar question is either to choose a known devil or unknown stranger.
My only reason to Canada is to travel to India to meet my family stress free, besides that i have
no interest in Canada. People who have lived in Canada and migrated from here, and say its not easy and
very challenging than US. Smaller market makes it more challenging.
But a great country for families.
Worst case scenario is live and work there and come bank on TN visa.

What about visa stability? God forbid, what if one of the extension gets denied due to some newly proposed rules post i94 date and entire US stay is stake? Then it's all about India. Back in pollution, traffic and rat race for kids at school.

And jobs available in good companies with visa sponsorship <= small market of Canada with PR. Hardly there is any willingness to sponsor H1b with big companies. Imagine a scenario of getting laid off and being back in market to search job with visa sponsorship.

aashay12

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo transferred to ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 2011
Med's Request
25th october 2013
Med's Done....
yes
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
first week of january
VISA ISSUED...
24/1/14
LANDED..........
4 years I think won't be much time go and come back.
Job situation is not the best there, but at least peace of mind.

aashay12

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 2011
Med's Request
25th october 2013
Med's Done....
yes
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
first week of january
VISA ISSUED...
24/1/14
LANDED..........
All these WITCHES ruined h1b and EB perm.
Before that it was great.
Now thee WITCHES are getting kicked in the butt, but because
Of them there has been a bad rap for H1B, hence we suffer.
Every mofo is coming here from India and screwing the system up.
It's not DHS fault, its the abuse and not the best and the brightest are coming here, since WITCHES keep hiring them from India, for less price.
gotta blame the Indians for ruining the chances for other indias,
Knowingly or unknowingly.

Reactions: CANPR12

CANPR12

Star Member
Feb 22, 2017
It's not DHS fault, its the abuse and not the best and the brightest are coming here, since WITCHES keep hiring them from India, for less price.

Well its same in any aspect of life, the longer you wait the worse it gets. I mean EB2 was really good people like me who have come to US enrolled in good universities are now struggling along with the average joe from India. Yeah I agree with you the Indian IT companies are to be blamed for exploiting the holes in the H1B and L1 process and screwing up the entire EB PERM for genuine people here. I guess that's what you get if you are from a 3rd world country. Your own country men screwing each other.

That's why I feel its now or never ... if we wait in thinking about Canada I am sure in the very near future Indian will crowd the Canadian PR process as well and exploit it to the max. Given the number of unqualified engineers/graduates being churned out by colleges in India I would not be surprised to see Canada tightening its ropes sooner than latter for Indians. So take advantage of your education and experience right when you can before its too late.

aashay12

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 2011
Med's Request
25th october 2013
Med's Done....
yes
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
first week of january
VISA ISSUED...
24/1/14
LANDED..........
Honest to god, I never liked India....
Never liked it, i went there just once in 15 years.
I do not miss it, nor I care about India.
I was unfortunate to be born there and fortunate enough to gtfo
There.....there is nothing wrong about India but just never liked the lifestyle or how people lived there.....I was beyond my imagination.
things are changing these days, but I was never there for that change to see it or be a witness to it.
I think Trump would make it better , he will filter out things, which were so openly accepted by Obama (another disappointment) or Bush.
I just don't know the end to this BS, I just hope things change and get better for all of the good ones.
Honestly a smaller market like Canada scares me.
Great country but there is always a question mark
Either 4 years or stick it out here.

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
Honest to god, I never liked India....
Never liked it, i went there just once in 15 years.
I do not miss it, nor I care about India.
I was unfortunate to be born there and fortunate enough to gtfo
There.....there is nothing wrong about India but just never liked the lifestyle or how people lived there.....I was beyond my imagination.
things are changing these days, but I was never there for that change to see it or be a witness to it.
I think Trump would make it better , he will filter out things, which were so openly accepted by Obama (another disappointment) or Bush.
I just don't know the end to this BS, I just hope things change and get better for all of the good ones.
Honestly a smaller market like Canada scares me.
Great country but there is always a question mark
Either 4 years or stick it out here.

Based on your posting history, it seems you cant seem to make up your mind. May I ask, what steps have you taken to find jobs in Canada? Have you applied for jobs? Have you created a Linkedin canada profile (same as ur existing but put address in Canada)? Have you used the ACCESS employment services for soon-to-land immigrants? Have you flown to Canada for career fairs?

I think doing all that is better than always wondering on forums. I did all of the above and moved to Canada with a job in hand.

aashay12

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 2011
Med's Request
25th october 2013
Med's Done....
yes
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
first week of january
VISA ISSUED...
24/1/14
LANDED..........
Well I never looked there for anything.
Back of my mind, I don't want to go.
But feels like I am compelled, obligated and pushed to go there.
Since the visa situation is screwed up here.
I just can't wait for november, either to go or let the PR expire.
I guess I am hesitant....about Canada.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
@aashay12 - I'm fairly certain that trump is not going to do anything. The kind of change that you are expecting (revamping entire green card system) required congress stamp which is never ever going to happen. I'm not sure how closely you are following US politics.. his own party men do not like him, and unfortunately he needs their support to overhaul any system, not just immigration. You could see how badly health care bill failed (his biggest election promise ) in Senate. It failed already in congress once, and they drafted a highly watered down bill just get to passed through congress eventually to fail in Senate.

If anything they'll just tighten and make things so much harder for people on H1b visa because it's the lowest hanging fruit. They could set a crazy wage requirement, make extensions harder or do anything by passing rules. There is a rumor that uscis is considering introducing a mandate for employers who hire h1b to declare their resources on visa every six months just to increase their paperwork and discourage visa hires. This July 26 they are announcing the rules they are planning to pass to stop h1b abuse as a part of buy American and hire American order. You might think that you are better positioned with good employer for now, but imagine a layoff scenario.

And even in best case scenario, let's assume that trump does move to a point based system like Canada and Australia (which is what he told he wants to do), by the time he does it you'll be 35+. Age is always a criteria in point system. They'll be enough people under 30 with US education, maximum experience and you would never be able to outscore them. To give a analogy, it's like crs will always stay in 550-750 range. There's very little scope of making through.

And nobody is denying the fact that US is a better country than any other country in the world. Definitely opportunities and wealth is unparalleled and cannot be matched. There's no need reiterate that fact as everyone is from US and know it in and out. That's not the argument we are trying to make. The whole point is being in visa for life just for some extra money vs having a first world citizenship with stable life.

aashay12

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 2011
Med's Request
25th october 2013
Med's Done....
yes
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
first week of january
VISA ISSUED...
24/1/14
LANDED..........
Deepcur,

The layoff scenario would be pretty shitty....this is something
did not really cross my mind....till now....
I don't know what would I even do if that happens...
I know for a fact I am not going to India....that's for sure man.
Either US or Canada.....never India.
This news about tightening the visa and paperwork every 6 months
Is plain sick.....I did not pay attention to BAHA.
He is keeping his promise of MAGA.
It's just getting more and more interesting......
Thanks deepcur.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
The issue is unrestricted intake for Labor/PERM which makes people from India wait for longer which leads to accumulation of H1 candidates who extend. Like you, Indians too try to immigrate. Blaming Indians wont help or its not the core issue. Do you blame Indians coming in into Canada - You cannot because its streamlined by restricting intake for PR (irrelevant of contrywise quota). Do you know how this same Candian rules for PR appeared a decade ago? It was unlimited intake and too many years waiting time. They corrected by removing job codes and then introduced quota few years ago.

In US they dont even restrict for issuing PERM based on yearly quota of available/applicable visa numbers. They do intake any number of applications for any country origin and then they issue a fixed number of immigrants visas every year - which is totally wrong. They just need to simply restrict the intake of PERM, then automatically you can see the people waiting would leave the country whoever could not file PERM and jobs will be available (because guys wont wait for 10 years and chose some other country or go back to India) and everyone will get their priority date soon. Its all about the chance which everyone wants to take. Its all about the rules - if the rules are not there then the system meant for something goes wrong which often needs to be corrected which we see it missing. Another example, there is no minimum salary required as per rule for L1. Who to blame? There is no proper requirement to adjudicate L1 application? Who to blame? So in this internet age, rules need to be in place to avoid any exploitation or avoid too many applications. There is no limited quota issuance for L1. If you see from Indian side, its clear exploitation/ignorance. We cant blame - We need to go by system. If system allows it will be used ( if it allows for exploitation, yes it will become exploited - same like how companies outsource jobs/manufacturing to reduce cost - even though its exploitation its being done based on rules from the companies standpoint).

Also they started issue H4 EADs while there are not much jobs for H1 itself. This is another issue which complicates matter as EADs take up short term projects while leaving the sole H1s not getting projects to retain status. So in this case i cant blame the guys who received EADs (if you ask them they will say that there is a rule for it and they are utilizing it). So blaming the root cause (in this case its the rules of H1, mainly the GC rules) would be appropriate. Immigration reform is lacking which is to be blamed.

Proposed reform: Instead of restricting the intake, US is trying to strict the rules which is going to be a problem for candidates as well as companies who can hire them. Hopefully they address the base issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanadianAspirant

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
The issue is unrestricted intake for Labor/PERM which makes people from India wait for longer which leads to accumulation of H1 candidates who extend. Like you, Indians too try to immigrate. Blaming Indians wont help or its not the core issue. Do you blame Indians coming in into Canada - You cannot because its streamlined by restricting intake for PR (irrelevant of contrywise quota). Do you know how this same Candian rules for PR appeared a decade ago? It was unlimited intake and too many years waiting time. They corrected by removing job codes and then introduced quota few years ago.

In US they dont even restrict for issuing PERM based on yearly quota of available/applicable visa numbers. They do intake any number of applications for any country origin and then they issue a fixed number of immigrants visas every year - which is totally wrong. They just need to simply restrict the intake of PERM, then automatically you can see the people waiting would leave the country whoever could not file PERM and jobs will be available (because guys wont wait for 10 years and chose some other country or go back to India) and everyone will get their priority date soon. Its all about the chance which everyone wants to take. Its all about the rules - if the rules are not there then the system meant for something goes wrong which often needs to be corrected which we see it missing. Another example, there is no minimum salary required as per rule for L1. Who to blame? There is no proper requirement to adjudicate L1 application? Who to blame? So in this internet age, rules need to be in place to avoid any exploitation or avoid too many applications. There is no limited quota issuance for L1. If you see from Indian side, its clear exploitation/ignorance. We cant blame - We need to go by system. If system allows it will be used ( if it allows for exploitation, yes it will become exploited - same like how companies outsource jobs/manufacturing to reduce cost - even though its exploitation its being done based on rules from the companies standpoint).

Also they started issue H4 EADs while there are not much jobs for H1 itself. This is another issue which complicates matter as EADs take up short term projects while leaving the sole H1s not getting projects to retain status. So in this case i cant blame the guys who received EADs (if you ask them they will say that there is a rule for it and they are utilizing it). So blaming the root cause (in this case its the rules of H1, mainly the GC rules) would be appropriate. Immigration reform is lacking which is to be blamed.

Proposed reform: Instead of restricting the intake, US is trying to strict the rules which is going to be a problem for candidates as well as companies who can hire them. Hopefully they address the base issue.

True.. No Western country allows people to reside people after 6 years in temporary visa without giving permanent residency or citizenship. Even in countries with stricter immigration like UK, Germany, one can apply permanent residency if they have stayed x number of years, even if the stay is through work visa. They can either continue as permanent resident or need to leave the country.

Only US allows people to wait indefinitely in guest worker visa that too with an approved permanent residency application (i140). They just don't understand that people build lot of ties (house, kids school, settled job etc.) to a place where they live for more 5 or 6 years, and continuing in guest visa which is subject to some sort of adjudication every few years always has potential life changing consequences. So many things get disrupted if there is an issue with extension. That's the reason majority countries offer PR or citizenship after no more than 5 or 6 years.

Another way to cut backlog is not to allow H1b extensions beyond six years at any cost. That will at least not keep the people in limbo and force people make decisions on the future. This thread itself probably might not exist. All will move to Canada or Australia in a blink!

francaispourquebec

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
A lot has been said in this thread and I couldn't resist having my two cents of say here. I have lived in the US for over a decade on a visa. Initial years were good despite visa and immigration complications but since the past few years, have begun to lose the energy required to sustain living on a visa. In the meantime, several of my friends have obtained permanent residency or citizenship living in other countries. I happen to live in probably the world's best country with an unfavorable immigration system and they live in a lesser country with a favorable system. That's the way I look at. I don't blame my country of origin for that. If anything, I am extremely proud of whatever opportunities my origin country had to offer considering my modest beginnings.

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
A lot has been said in this thread and I couldn't resist having my two cents of say here. I have lived in the US for over a decade on a visa. Initial years were good despite visa and immigration complications but since the past few years, have begun to lose the energy required to sustain living on a visa. In the meantime, several of my friends have obtained permanent residency or citizenship living in other countries. I happen to live in probably the world's best country with an unfavorable immigration system and they live in a lesser country with a favorable system. That's the way I look at. I don't blame my country of origin for that. If anything, I am extremely proud of whatever opportunities my origin country had to offer considering my modest beginnings.
What stops your friends who live in 'lesser' countries from obtaining a visa and coming back to US to live? I guess they are happy there. If not, they can always come back to US under visa. Then they will be in same situation as you, except that they will have a powerful passport, guaranteed social security and healthcare if something serious happens. Also in case H1B is severely changed and TN/E3 is not (quite possible), then they will have even more of an advantage.

Your point about initial years is very true. I too lived in US for almost a decade. Once you live and settle and earn, you start expecting the US to be your home, only to be rudely awakened at the airport and visa stamp times. After living there for a decade I never felt US was my home, but I feel at home in Canada in a few months. Do I miss that extra 30% in my savings account? Nope.