AOR Received.
09-10-2018
Passport Req..
31-01-2019
VISA ISSUED...
06-03-2019
LANDED..........
15-06-2019
Thanks everyone for the great inputs in this forum. It's really helpful to newbies trying to figure out how to immigrate to Canada.

How feasible do you guys think it is to commute between US and Canada? I am a PhD in mechanical engineering and do not see any jobs in my field in Canada. For me, US is the best job market.
But I am fed up with the current immigration scenario, I have been in this country for 10 years now am still stuck in F1 visa.
I am among the unfortunate ones who did not get picked in the H1B lottery in the last 3 years.
Am back to school to do a MBA now and am hoping to get H1B in the next 2 tries.
Meanwhile I am planning to apply for Canadian PR and if I get the H1B would like to live in Windsor and work in Detroit.
What issues/problems do you guys think I can face?

Thanks in advance.
PS: I will be accompanied with my wife who has a H1B as well and US citizen daughter. My wife will be commuting as well.

Kuchbhi

Jul 16, 2017
Thanks everyone for the great inputs in this forum. It's really helpful to newbies trying to figure out how to immigrate to Canada.

How feasible do you guys think it is to commute between US and Canada? I am a PhD in mechanical engineering and do not see any jobs in my field in Canada. For me, US is the best job market.
But I am fed up with the current immigration scenario, I have been in this country for 10 years now am still stuck in F1 visa.
I am among the unfortunate ones who did not get picked in the H1B lottery in the last 3 years.
Meanwhile I am planning to apply for Canadian PR and if I get the H1B would like to live in Windsor and work in Detroit.

Thanks in advance.
PS: I will be accompanied with my wife who has a H1B as well and US citizen daughter. My wife will be commuting as well.
I am sorry, but the way I see it - is that you have your feet on two boats. While doable in the short term, you'll have to decide which boat you wanna stay.

Let's assume your best case scenario. you get H1B and you are able to commute between Windsor and Detroit. How long do you think you'll be able to maintain the status-quo? 5 years till your firm applies for your GC or you apply for Canadian PR renewal? you already gave 10 years to US and are still in limbo. It's completely your call if you want a peace of mind (visa wise) in Canada or continue to find "jugaad". Since you are already enrolled as a MBA student - assuming it's not a shady school just to get your CPT/OPT - another "jugaad". Why not do the same more meaningfully in Canada and transition into managerial positions?

You cannot possible successfully maintain residency requirements in both countries. You may think that you do by, but it may bite you in the rear few years later.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

pr131985

Star Member
Feb 19, 2018
Detroit
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
13-06-2018
AOR Received.
09-10-2018
Passport Req..
31-01-2019
VISA ISSUED...
06-03-2019
LANDED..........
15-06-2019
Thanks Kuchbhi for your insight.

The benefits of being Canadian is currently more than being an American right now and I am not confused in what I want.
I am certain I want to become a Canadian citizen eventually. It's just that I don't have jobs in my field in Canada.
With my experience and degrees I don't see much growth in other sectors besides Automotive for me.

rakakatoofaan

Star Member
Sep 8, 2014

Thanks in advance.
This should be okay. A lot of people do that.

Reactions: pr131985

thisworks

Star Member
Apr 17, 2017
Boston, US
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
02-10-2017
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Med's Done....
10-08-2017
Passport Req..
12-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
18-10-2017
Thanks Kuchbhi for your insight.

The benefits of being Canadian is currently more than being an American right now and I am not confused in what I want.
I am certain I want to become a Canadian citizen eventually. It's just that I don't have jobs in my field in Canada.
With my experience and degrees I don't see much growth in other sectors besides Automotive for me.
With a PhD in Mech Engg, have you explored the possibility of working in tech startups? I assume you have good coding and math skills, and these could be very useful in tech companies. Yes, it may not be mech core field, but at least it should provide a good salary and peace of mind.