+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IRCC written Authorization letter

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all, I’m a permanent resident of Canada and I have invited my younger sister to come visit me. I applied for her visitor visa on July 14th, 2021, I however didn’t put “Other” and “COVID-19” as purpose of travel, I only put the regular family visit on the visa application form.

In order to prioritize her application, we submitted a webform the following day (July 15th) and got an automated email that she will hear back within 14 business days. 14 business days passed and didn’t hear back so we contacted IRCC on August 9th to point out that she hasn’t received correspondence.

On August 12th, we got an email from IRCC that she should resubmit the information and docs that were included on the webform. She replied with all the necessary info and docs and today (August 16th), she received a reply in her email and it was the approval for the travel authorization.

Her IRCC online account/portal still shows that her visa application is in progress. The authorization email didn’t go to her online portal at all, only as an email. So now, I’m curious because I thought both the authorization letter and visa application are supposed to be decided on at the same time.

Based on everyone’s experience, do you think her visitor visa will be approved and she’ll get the passport request letter soon? Does issuing the authorization letter have any positive impact on her application? Could a visa application be refused even tho a travel authorization letter was issued? Thank you!
No they are often not approved/denied at the same time. Without more information about your sister, where she is from, what are her ties to her home country (job, property, spouse or children at home, etc.), how much savings she has, her international travel history to places like the US, UK, Australia, etc. in the past 5-10 years, etc. it is very tough to comment.

Edit: Looks like you received PR via asylum so that may also impact the application depending on the reason for asylum.

thatguyoverthere

Dec 14, 2017
No they are often not approved/denied at the same time. Without more information about your sister, where she is from, what are her ties to her home country (job, property, spouse or children at home, etc.), how much savings she has, her international travel history to places like the US, UK, Australia, etc. in the past 5-10 years, etc. it is very tough to comment.

Edit: Looks like you received PR via asylum so that may also impact the application depending on the reason for asylum.
Thank you for your response. And yes, I know all the factors that go into getting a TRV. I guess what I really wanted to know is if it’s possible to get a visa refusal right after a travel authorization letter has been issued.

trisen

Jun 30, 2021
Thanks. Please keep posted. I applied on 28th July. Did you called IRCC?
Based on the information on the site Agents does NOT provide any information over the phone to specific applications nor have any info regarding processing times.
I tried to call once - but they just hanged off with the words - all agents are busy atm.

SHENJUTI

Star Member
Dec 4, 2018
I have applied on July/20. Still no reply. If international travellers can entry from Septembe07, do we still need Written Authorization? I have applied for my sister and she already has TRV.
Please reply..

trisen

Jun 30, 2021
I have applied on July/20. Still no reply. If international travellers can entry from Septembe07, do we still need Written Authorization? I have applied for my sister and she already has TRV.
Please reply..
There is no warranty that borders will open on 7-th of Sept. With current Covid cases rise there is a chance that they will not open the borders at all. But is they will - then probably yes you dont need Written Authorization at that time