+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ircc is making students depressed

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I am a study permit applicant and I am with Canada in keeping borders closed until a vaccine is available to protect their people from COVID. They just did the right thing. No questions about that. Prevention is the best course to take in this global health crisis.

HOWEVER, I am also extremely disappointed with their new process, and here’s why:

1. If they’re saying that they couldn’t process applications on time due to heavy backlogs and reduced staff, they should’ve paused accepting new applications. This would result in them being able to finish applications submitted Q1-Q2 this year. This could’ve SAVED thousands of international study applicants from stress and disappointments.

But of course, they didn’t do that. They need the fees we pay and GICs to continue

2. If it’s true that they genuinely care about International students, too, then it would’ve been much better if they’ve been direct from the start with their intention to not let anyone in until 2023. Believe me, we will understand. This could’ve SAVED us all money and effort. It’s not easy to just withdraw our applications, choose another country, and move on with our lives just like what other commenters here say.

But of course, IRCC will never announce that or else applications will drop, and their colleges/universities will suffer.

3. 2-stage processing is a complete BS. And no, it’s not proof that CA is doing their best to support international students. Like, really? We’d rather have our applications canceled and fees refunded in these weird times. NO ONE PAID A RIDICULOUS AMOUNT FOR DISTANCE LEARNING.

But of course, they need that 2-stage process to hold students from withdrawing their applications and secure money invested in CA.

4. IF their grand plan all this time was to extend travel restrictions and push remote classes in the next two years then at least have the colleges and universities lower the tuition fees! Make it the same rate as the locals. This MAY be acceptable enough for some. No one will pay for $37,000 (with misc fees, student fees, library fees, health insurance) for distance learning.

But of course, they won’t do this.

You see, I am all for keeping Canada safe and its citizens protected from COVID. I never complained about the delays. But truly they have deliberately neglected a lot of things:

1. Money, effort, sacrifices of study permit applicants.
2. Our access to high-quality education.

We simply want to GET WHAT WE PAID FOR. We can only move on if they let us!
1. The fees are probably negligible in relation to the resources required to process an application.

2. Where are you getting 2023 from?

3. It's been clear for a while that next semester would be online.

4. I've not seen anything which suggests it lasting for the next two years.

subakumaran

Star Member
May 15, 2013
I am a study permit applicant and I am with Canada in keeping borders closed until a vaccine is available to protect their people from COVID. They just did the right thing. No questions about that. Prevention is the best course to take in this global health crisis.

HOWEVER, I am also extremely disappointed with their new process, and here’s why:

1. If they’re saying that they couldn’t process applications on time due to heavy backlogs and reduced staff, they should’ve paused accepting new applications. This would result in them being able to finish applications submitted Q1-Q2 this year. This could’ve SAVED thousands of international study applicants from stress and disappointments.

But of course, they didn’t do that. They need the fees we pay and GICs to continue

2. If it’s true that they genuinely care about International students, too, then it would’ve been much better if they’ve been direct from the start with their intention to not let anyone in until 2023. Believe me, we will understand. This could’ve SAVED us all money and effort. It’s not easy to just withdraw our applications, choose another country, and move on with our lives just like what other commenters here say.

But of course, IRCC will never announce that or else applications will drop, and their colleges/universities will suffer.

3. 2-stage processing is a complete BS. And no, it’s not proof that CA is doing their best to support international students. Like, really? We’d rather have our applications canceled and fees refunded in these weird times. NO ONE PAID A RIDICULOUS AMOUNT FOR DISTANCE LEARNING.

But of course, they need that 2-stage process to hold students from withdrawing their applications and secure money invested in CA.

4. IF their grand plan all this time was to extend travel restrictions and push remote classes in the next two years then at least have the colleges and universities lower the tuition fees! Make it the same rate as the locals. This MAY be acceptable enough for some. No one will pay for $37,000 (with misc fees, student fees, library fees, health insurance) for distance learning.

You see, I am all for keeping Canada safe and its citizens protected from COVID. I never complained about the delays. But truly they have deliberately neglected a lot of things:

Lets also acknowledge another truth. We all are pursuing higher studies with such RIDICULOUS amount for Immigration purpose.
We all are going to apply for PGWP -> PR -> Citizenship (Maybe)

I should appreciate Canada for very clearly conveying that distance learning won't affect their PGWP.

Also compare it with other countries like US. Where existing students were asked to go out of their country. Whereas Canada is providing work permit to visitors locked in Canada.

I don't think there is any other Country who is handling this situation better than Canada.

I agree we all have frustrations, but it was our choice whether to take these risk or wait until situation get back to normal.

Lets all stay positive. We all will get and move to Canada.
Ofcourse we will miss the orientation parties and few months of campus experience, but hey its 2020 nothing is right now.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020

You all make it seem like Canada is forcing you to study online and stealing your money. Any average-intelligence individual could tell that Fall and potentially Winter is going to be online so how can you be upset? If you were not happy with that you could have delayed your application or withdraw your tuition. All DECENT/REPUTABLE universities and colleges are offering refund.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
People here are crying that they have give been given the freedom to choose whether or not they want to enroll in online studies. Some people can never be satisfied

• Angry
Reactions: Tete

phuongdong

Jun 27, 2020
Canada
Category........
STUDY

Let's hope for the vaccine coming with effective results dude. I could not say anything about the future, but hopefully things get normalized back.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I am not upset. Just reminding people they all have a choice. People I do feel sorry for is the ones that applied before March 18 because their hand was forced

• Angry

Zyqwerty

Star Member
Jul 8, 2020
I am not upset. Just reminding people they all have a choice. People I do feel sorry for is the ones that applied before March 18 because their hand was forced
No choice at all. For my college no refusal letter no refund. So what should i do? Almost 5 months of waiting, how many months more?

Why are they accepting new applications when they can barely properly manage their backlogs?

They keep saying they have limited resources, then why are they even processing tourist visas with restriction in place?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Accepting new applications doesn't mean that they aren't working on their backlog.

Let's try not to tell IRCC how to do their job.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
No choice at all. For my college no refusal letter no refund. So what should i do? Almost 5 months of waiting, how many months more?

Why are they accepting new applications when they can barely properly manage their backlogs?

They keep saying they have limited resources, then why are they even processing tourist visas with restriction in place?
If your college is refusing to provide refund then I empathize with you because that is extremely disingenuous on their part and indeed greedy.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Bro, adminstrative fee is worth it when you get decision on time. Those who haven't paid a single dollar on tuition fee have got their decision, while full year tuition paid haven't. This is blatant discrimination.
I see your point. AIPs seem to be a total lottery right now, would have been better if earlier applicants were given some preference of order

paulakoga

Aug 12, 2020
I see your point. AIPs seem to be a total lottery right now, would have been better if earlier applicants were given some preference of order
Would have been better if they just explained it, even if it's not chronological.. there was a direct question on the webinar asking about this and they basically just said "we are working very hard to process". This doesn't mean much for me who applied in February, medical upfront, bio feb 27th, tuition paid, classes starting in 6 business days... and I haven't see any Brazilian AIPs since Aug 6th. It's kind of hard not to get upset, I've been waiting patiently for a long tine now :(

ohbruh

Jul 25, 2020
I have question. My student permit was approved before March 18 but I will be studying online from September (1 year graduate certf course). My course finishes on April 23, 2021. But my permit expires on March 15 so I will need to extend the permit. If I study second semester in Canada it will be easy to do extend from inside but in case second semester would be online then I have apply extension from overseas.

Is there a difference from applying overseas? I mean will I be given something like a bridging visa until the decision made?
In-land applications are processing faster.

Reactions: deni2020

Mary_mary123

Aug 14, 2020
Policies vary from country to country. VACs are open in UAE / Pakistan but not in India. Canada.ca shows a notice that VACs are opening around the world now so may be very soon, you'll hear that Indian VACs are opening as well. Even if your program is In-Person, you still can't travel without a Visa, again not an issue of IRCC. Is your term blended or all online or all in person? I am skeptical it being all in person.

Each individual case vary, policies are in place to help the masses. You will have to work with your institute in order to come up with a solution so that you can join them mid-term.
There are a lot of questions for information students regarding this 2 stage. Many students wanted to change DLI, but now they do not know what will happen if they change their university.

Shubhp19

May 24, 2019
Disappointing. I did not expect this from them. Their track record has actually been great till now. Methodical, fair & just. But now, their handling of international students who have not yet entered Canada ( but have applied / already obtained a full approval ) during this pandemic has been disastrous.

I have a full approval before Madch 18th but still not allowed to travel & enter because my online classes are supposed to be "non-essential". Of course, our careers, efforts, struggles, sacrifices & lives are indeed non-essential for them. We are not fortunate & privileged enough to be born in their country you see. So that makes us undeserving of fair & just rules, empathy, & to be treated like other humans there.
They didnt allowed you to enter??