+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ircc is making students depressed

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
It's a tough situation for sure.

But the institution should also understand that there are extenuating circumstances, and not allow you to lose your scholarship.

What can i say? We have all been affected by this.
I've looked at the bill for the online classes my daughter cannot do and it doesn't feel fair she's being charged the same for student services she wouldn't be able to access. It's already difficult she cannot do the obligatory in person courses and her department have no answers on how she'll be able to catch up on these over the next few years and cannot guarantee with other obligatory classes next year.

The other new international students have some of them already chosen to defer, those left are dithering, my daughter included.

It's so painful, the new us students were able to apply again for study permits at the border, the returning international students are half way through quarantine already.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I've looked at the bill for the online classes my daughter cannot do and it doesn't feel fair she's being charged the same for student services she wouldn't be able to access. It's already difficult she cannot do the obligatory in person courses and her department have no answers on how she'll be able to catch up on these over the next few years and cannot guarantee with other obligatory classes next year.

The other new international students have some of them already chosen to defer, those left are dithering, my daughter included.

It's so painful, the new us students were able to apply again for study permits at the border, the returning international students are half way through quarantine already.
I feel your and your daughter's pain. Despite being in Canada, I felt like I was being robbed for paying so much money for online tuition without accessing the same benefits and/or experience. But after much thought and reflection, I have put it past me as you just won't be able to move on. After all, what is the alternative? Waste a whole year? It wasn't for me at least. And who can we blame? You cannot blame the Canadian government and universities for putting safety first after all. I suggest you do a Pros/Cons list and logically decide what is the best option for your daughter. Hope this helps.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019

It's a tough situation, very tough. And as i have said that i think a lot of universities are not taking the lead on adjusting to the situation.

But as tapperb said, what's the alternative? Waste a semester? Waste a year?

It sucks but we have to find a way to persevere.

Reactions: GradStudent18

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
My situation is equally painful, if not more. I have a full approval before March 18th, and still am unable to travel / enter for want of an "essential" reason. I am starting a research-intensive graduate program :(

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
The new measures announced today only pertain to those who've not yet applied for a study permit.

It says: to be eligible for these measures, one should submit an application for a program starting in spring / summer / fall 2020 or Jan 2021.

But what about those with a full approval before March 18th ??? I wish they also realize that there are some with a full approval before March 18th, and give out advice for us too! Right now, the updates seem only for those who are yet to apply/ have just applied & waiting for a result. I hope they'll give more information asap. Thank you!

deni2020

Star Member
Jun 22, 2020
I understand that... boarders will remain closed until April 2021 for international students whose classes are 100% online and they can access from outside Canada and moreover location is no longer an inconvenient for obtaining a PGWP.

• Sad
Reactions: phuongdong

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
I feel your and your daughter's pain. Despite being in Canada, I felt like I was being robbed for paying so much money for online tuition without accessing the same benefits and/or experience. But after much thought and reflection, I have put it past me as you just won't be able to move on. After all, what is the alternative? Waste a whole year? It wasn't for me at least. And who can we blame? You cannot blame the Canadian government and universities for putting safety first after all. I suggest you do a Pros/Cons list and logically decide what is the best option for your daughter. Hope this helps.
The decision to allow new usa students into Canada and returning international students proves the decision has nothing to do with safety at all. It is illogical and discriminatory.

• Sad
Reactions: GradStudent18

jigzyy

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
22-07-2013
Med's Request
02-04-2014
Med's Done....
15-04-2014
Interview........
21-01-2014
Passport Req..
01-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
22-09-2014
Announced measures cover you as well. My student permit was also accepted before March 18, 2020 and my classes are online (1 year GC program).
  • Students who have enrolled in a program that is between 8 and 12 months in length, with a start date from May to September 2020, will be able to complete their entire program online from abroad and still be eligible for a post-graduation work permit.
According to this, I can study the whole thing outside Canada and online and be eligible for PGWP.
But my main concern is whether this online study will be count toward Express Entry CRS. Logically, since it is counted toward PGWP, it should be also for CRS otherwise it doesn't make sense.

Any ideas?
Yes. If it is counted towards PGWP then it'll be counted towards EE CRS as well.

Reactions: deni2020

Guler

Star Member
Feb 18, 2018
It's a tough situation for sure.

But the institution should also understand that there are extenuating circumstances, and not allow you to lose your scholarship.

What can i say? We have all been affected by this.
Just waiting till the last week to write them. Anuway they really did much for me

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Announced measures cover you as well. My student permit was also accepted before March 18, 2020 and my classes are online (1 year GC program).
  • Students who have enrolled in a program that is between 8 and 12 months in length, with a start date from May to September 2020, will be able to complete their entire program online from abroad and still be eligible for a post-graduation work permit.
According to this, I can study the whole thing outside Canada and online and be eligible for PGWP.
But my main concern is whether this online study will be count toward Express Entry CRS. Logically, since it is counted toward PGWP, it should be also for CRS otherwise it doesn't make sense.

Any ideas?
No these measures are directed at those who've just submitted an application.

Not for those with an approval & who are supposedly "exempt" can enter.

And the fully online from home aspect applies only to programs of 1 year or less.

What about programs of more than 1 year? The 50% rule still applies. Complicated by required graduate level lab work, for which too, we aren't supposedly allowed to enter.

What about those with a co-op program? Can that be done from home?

There are people who don't fall under the conventional 1 year college degrees. There are other variables involved too.

I truly hope IRCC makes a separate announcement for graduate level University programs that are research-intensive ! So many more issues involved there !

Last edited:

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Yes %50 rule still applies but at least they extended the date to April 30, 2021. It means they may extend even more depending on pandemic.

Why you are not able to enter if you have lab work? That means your study requires in-campus presence unless your idea of lab work is different than IRCC.
Yes true, they may extend the Apeil 2021 deadline. But 50% will definitely be exceeded if it extends to, say, August 2021.

We now need information on how the 50% is going to be calculated.

The Universities are in a different world altogether. Bizarre policy issues. IRCC is making changes every month. But universities should keep pace too! I hope I can get that support letter. Many University students are having some issues / trouble getting that.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
But really happy to see that they have at least announced something today! So they're at least aware of some of our issues! Thank god for that! Sending out positive wishes & hope into the universe! Hope they can continue providing more information and clarity to us!

Last edited:

jigzyy

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
22-07-2013
Med's Request
02-04-2014
Med's Done....
15-04-2014
Interview........
21-01-2014
Passport Req..
01-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
22-09-2014
Is this statement goes without saying or should there be an official announcement in order to consider this as a fact?
I highly doubt that there'll be an official statement around it. See, Study permit is a temporary status along with PGWP while EE is geared towards permanent residency. Both are different things and they will never mix and announce these things. That's why I said, if they are accepting it for PGWP, then they will accept it for EE CRS as Canadian education.

Reactions: ShaUCan

Petita

Aug 30, 2019
I am a study permit applicant and I am with Canada in keeping borders closed until a vaccine is available to protect their people from COVID. They just did the right thing. No questions about that. Prevention is the best course to take in this global health crisis.

HOWEVER, I am also extremely disappointed with their new process, and here’s why:

1. If they’re saying that they couldn’t process applications on time due to heavy backlogs and reduced staff, they should’ve paused accepting new applications. This would result in them being able to finish applications submitted Q1-Q2 this year. This could’ve SAVED thousands of international study applicants from stress and disappointments.

But of course, they didn’t do that. They need the fees we pay and GICs to continue

2. If it’s true that they genuinely care about International students, too, then it would’ve been much better if they’ve been direct from the start with their intention to not let anyone in until 2023. Believe me, we will understand. This could’ve SAVED us all money and effort. It’s not easy to just withdraw our applications, choose another country, and move on with our lives just like what other commenters here say.

But of course, IRCC will never announce that or else applications will drop, and their colleges/universities will suffer.

3. 2-stage processing is a complete BS. And no, it’s not proof that CA is doing their best to support international students. Like, really? We’d rather have our applications canceled and fees refunded in these weird times. NO ONE PAID A RIDICULOUS AMOUNT FOR DISTANCE LEARNING.

But of course, they need that 2-stage process to hold students from withdrawing their applications and secure money invested in CA.

4. IF their grand plan all this time was to extend travel restrictions and push remote classes in the next two years then at least have the colleges and universities lower the tuition fees! Make it the same rate as the locals. This MAY be acceptable enough for some. No one will pay for $37,000 (with misc fees, student fees, library fees, health insurance) for distance learning.

But of course, they won’t do this.

You see, I am all for keeping Canada safe and its citizens protected from COVID. I never complained about the delays. But truly they have deliberately neglected a lot of things:

1. Money, effort, sacrifices of study permit applicants.
2. Our access to high-quality education.

We simply want to GET WHAT WE PAID FOR. We can only move on if they let us!

Zyqwerty

Star Member
Jul 8, 2020
I am a study permit applicant and I am with Canada in keeping borders closed until a vaccine is available to protect their people from COVID. They just did the right thing. No questions about that. Prevention is the best course to take in this global health crisis.

HOWEVER, I am also extremely disappointed with their new process, and here’s why:

1. If they’re saying that they couldn’t process applications on time due to heavy backlogs and reduced staff, they should’ve paused accepting new applications. This would result in them being able to finish applications submitted Q1-Q2 this year. This could’ve SAVED thousands of international study applicants from stress and disappointments.

But of course, they didn’t do that. They need the fees we pay and GICs to continue

2. If it’s true that they genuinely care about International students, too, then it would’ve been much better if they’ve been direct from the start with their intention to not let anyone in until 2023. Believe me, we will understand. This could’ve SAVED us all money and effort. It’s not easy to just withdraw our applications, choose another country, and move on with our lives just like what other commenters here say.

But of course, IRCC will never announce that or else applications will drop, and their colleges/universities will suffer.

3. 2-stage processing is a complete BS. And no, it’s not proof that CA is doing their best to support international students. Like, really? We’d rather have our applications canceled and fees refunded in these weird times. NO ONE PAID A RIDICULOUS AMOUNT FOR DISTANCE LEARNING.

But of course, they need that 2-stage process to hold students from withdrawing their applications and secure money invested in CA.

4. IF their grand plan all this time was to extend travel restrictions and push remote classes in the next two years then at least have the colleges and universities lower the tuition fees! Make it the same rate as the locals. This MAY be acceptable enough for some. No one will pay for $37,000 (with misc fees, student fees, library fees, health insurance) for distance learning.

But of course, they won’t do this.

You see, I am all for keeping Canada safe and its citizens protected from COVID. I never complained about the delays. But truly they have deliberately neglected a lot of things:

1. Money, effort, sacrifices of study permit applicants.
2. Our access to high-quality education.

We simply want to GET WHAT WE PAID FOR. We can only move on if they let us!
I can put that in one word - “GREED”