+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ircc is making students depressed

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
If you have study permit approved before 18th March, to get on the plane, you should have :
travel support letter from the university to prove your entry is for an essential purpose - my daughter's is 4 pages
point of entry letter proving the sp is approved - my daughter hasn't got this so cannot travel
quarantine plan - my daughter's is 4 pages

If I had all 3 of these documents, I would buy a plane ticket and travel.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, trying to get the support letter. But again, none of the websites mention anything about the letter. So it sort of gives room for the institutions to not give a letter. Yet, there needs to be evidence and documentation from the institution that we are supposed to present at the border. Isn't that confusing?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I just cited other experiences as an additional point. In my position, after talking with the International Student Office at the university, I feel that the guidance is unclear yet for graduate level lab / thesis-based research work. I guess you're assuming that everyone who says they're unsure is automatically not having a real, legitimate reason to want to travel. I can only say it's not that straight or simple. I can't also not look at all at the experiences of others who've travelled till now. It isn't easy to ignore everything in entirety. It's perhaps the only evidence we have of getting to know how the guidelines are applied. I do not want to take the risk and travel if it's clear that I'm not supposed to travel. It isn't clear to me. Maybe it is for others. I can only speak for myself.
No not at all, i understand there are people, especially at the graduate level, who are unsure whether they meet the threshold or not.

But that's why i think it's the university who has to clearly state whether or not you need to be in the country to attend classes and do your coursework.

It seems to me, they aren't willing to help you produce a dossier that would be compelling to an immigration officer.

Reactions: GradStudent18

phuongdong

Jun 27, 2020
Canada
Category........
STUDY
Did the University give an official travel support letter stating that your "physical presence is mandatory" for the fall term? That should help, right?
No, the university would not give an official travel support letter unless your courses consist of lab components & physical presence mandatory. It is more straightforward to ask for supervisor or associate department coordinator. I have asked my supervisor, and soon he will supply me with a letter of support. I could not blame my University for this because they have already announced remote courses for specific department since late May.

• Sad
Reactions: GradStudent18

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
No, the university would not give an official travel support letter unless your courses consist of lab components & physical presence mandatory. It is more straightforward to ask for supervisor or associate department coordinator. I have asked my supervisor, and soon he will supply me with a letter of support. I could not blame my University for this because they have already announced remote courses for specific department since late May.
Yeah, but don't you think you should do your courses online then if the university itself is not willing to certify that you need to be in Canada?

I feel like some of you know that you shouldn't be coming to Canada in the fall semester but are insisting on doing so.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
No not at all, i understand there are people, especially at the graduate level, who are unsure whether they meet the threshold or not.

But that's why i think it's the university who has to clearly state whether or not you need to be in the country to attend classes and do your coursework.

It seems to me, they aren't willing to help you produce a dossier that would be compelling to an immigration officer.
Thank you so much for understanding! Thanks for the empathy!

Yeah exactly, these documentary requirements have also come up just now. Each institution also works differently. Maybe they need some more time, few more emails to finally understand the whole situation? Right now, they think it's only between me, IRCC & CBSA. I guess it's not as easy to immediately change a policy or issue special documents. This is the 1st time they are facing this as well. They wouldn't have given such a letter in the past since this is a new situation entirely.

I wish things get sorted out soon and they issue that letter asap though...

Last edited:

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Yeah, but don't you think you should do your courses online then if the university itself is not willing to certify that you need to be in Canada?

I feel like some of you know that you shouldn't be coming to Canada in the fall semester but are insisting on doing so.
I understand where you're coming from...

I think it seems to be some sort of an institution-specific policy issue...I know some universities aren't giving this letter even to incoming PhD students for the fall.. :(

Disclaimer: I won't say that the information I have is 100% correct or anything, but this is what I know at the moment.

Maybe their policy will be revised/ may adjust later on before December...? Hopefully.

Last edited:

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I think most people should try to defer their admission until winter.

Because honestly, why are you paying all this money if you have to do your courses online?

If you're doing an undergraduate degree it's okay, missing out one semester is not a big deal.

But for postgrads, i just don't think it makes sense.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019

Because honestly, why are you paying all this money if you have to do your courses online?

If you're doing an undergraduate degree it's okay, missing out one semester is not a big deal.

That's another thing for some to consider, maybe maybe not...

phuongdong

Jun 27, 2020
Canada
Category........
STUDY

I graduated from university in the United States though. I got stuck here because of border restriction with my own country, and ticket to travel back my home country is extremely expensive ~ 10k that I could not afford it. At least, I know I could travel to Canada as long as I get my study permit visa issued.

Reactions: Islander216

phuongdong

Jun 27, 2020
Canada
Category........
STUDY
They made new update for study permit student: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/pgwp-eligibility-measures.html?fbclid=IwAR0_1FcfqOO_n3o35UXsXC4Un23FWIDit_FdEs7Vv7AiZ8OieEJ3YbeF2P4 . Does this mean they expect students to come to Canada next year?
""Students who have enrolled in a program with a start date from May to September 2020 and study online up to April 30, 2021....may be able to combine the length of their programs of study when they apply for a post-graduation work permit in the future, as long as 50% of their total studies are completed in Canada.""

Reactions: deni2020

Guler

Star Member
Feb 18, 2018

But this is not an option for some people. For me f.e. I already deferred study last year because of reject. Program does not have winter intake. Applied again as won scholarship. So if wont get AIP until 23rd september (last day of drop) losing not only study, but full scholarship which is scary

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
It's a tough situation for sure.

But the institution should also understand that there are extenuating circumstances, and not allow you to lose your scholarship.

What can i say? We have all been affected by this.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I graduated from university in the United States though. I got stuck here because of border restriction with my own country, and ticket to travel back my home country is extremely expensive ~ 10k that I could not afford it. At least, I know I could travel to Canada as long as I get my study permit visa issued.
If you are on OPT then you can stay in the US until your expiration date.

Reactions: phuongdong

Zyqwerty

Star Member
Jul 8, 2020
Maybe there will be no AIP to be issued for 1yr programs. Deferring is the only option. If they issue AIP to 1yr program and they keep the border close up to next year, the 50% duration for online study will be maxed out and the student maybe force to pause program until the border opens.