Star Member
Mar 24, 2012
Toronto, ON
App. Filed.......
Jan.10.2014
LANDED..........
Oct.14.2015
Jamesdavid3 said:
I just contacted CIC again to ask about my AOR as its now been around 55 days since I sent off my application and there's still no updates..She kept saying that its normally 7/8 months after you sent off your application....I said it should be around 30 days.

I'm confused though how they have my information on their system.... I have a Client ID number which I guess was on my application and I tell the agent this and it pulls all of my information up...

If they don't know anything about my application and it hasnt been processed yet how do they already have all of my details in their system of my address/date of birth etc???, as I had to ask security questions...

That's why you should call them at least twice until you talk to a knowledgeable agent because some agents don't have any idea about the concept of AOR..

Some agents know what it is, but some claim that there's no letter or whatever they send before the first stage approval(that's 7-8monts)..

Also the reason they have your info is because, i guess, you guys are already on the system..
In the AOR letter, they assign you UCI(or Client ID) number..

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Fadzi said:
I read the same document yesterday and out of frustration, I called CIC to get opinions. The first gentleman i talked to told me that we have to do an out of the country application, however, we dont quite qualify for conjugal partners bla bla, he sounded very pessimistic and i asked him if the Gov of Canada will seriously stop this man from being with his daughter because there is no category to define us?! :eek: Then the 2nd guy i talked to told me to do the inland application but write a very clear and honest and strong declaration letter explaining why we couldnt be together since the extremes (civil war etc) dont qualify for us. Mybe i should add, i filed for bankruptcy before and i was discharged in December 2012, CIC wont process applications until you are discharged from a bankruptcy so sponsoring him would not have worked at the time. I can include my bankruptcy discharge letter with the application. And the hubby was also in university in UK until he graduated in November 2012, i can include his degree in there too...
Do you think that will help my case? I was up half the night just depressed about this
:'( :'( :'(
In all honesty, no, I don't think it will.. You have plenty of options to be together, and choosing not to employ one of them is unlikely to convince the person processing your application. Please explain clearly again why you cannot marry...

Fadzi

Feb 25, 2014
We can get married right now, the timing will seem very fishy in my opinion however. We got engaged in 2010 and are planning a proper elaborate wedding, you know. We could get married right now but i feel like the timing wil b very suspicious in CIC eyes; married March 1st 2014, then application received March 10, 2014...you know....I dont want to do anything that will raise a flag...
He could have lived here but he was in uni from beginning of 2010 until end of 2012, i was on mat leave until Feb 2013...we could not hve afforded it on an EI paycheck. I could have lived in UK but that would have meant quitting my job in Canada to go and live there...oh man, i'm gonna cry :'( :'(

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fadzi said:
We can get married right now, the timing will seem very fishy in my opinion however. We got engaged in 2010 and are planning a proper elaborate wedding, you know. We could get married right now but i feel like the timing wil b very suspicious in CIC eyes; married March 1st 2014, then application received March 10, 2014...you know....I dont want to do anything that will raise a flag...
He could have lived here but he was in uni from beginning of 2010 until end of 2012, i was on mat leave until Feb 2013...we could not hve afforded it on an EI paycheck. I could have lived in UK but that would have meant quitting my job in Canada to go and live there...oh man, i'm gonna cry :'( :'(
Unless you can find an immigration lawyer to tell you how you can convince CIC that you were common-law (even though you were/are not), or that you would somehow qualify as conjugal partners, you really have NO CHOICE but to get married if you want to sponsor your partner. Period!

You have to get married if you want to sponsor your partner. If not, perhaps there's a way for him to immigrate to Canada on his own, depending on his employment qualifications.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Fadzi said:
We can get married right now, <snip>
And that is is exactly why any attempt at a "conjugal partner" application is doomed to failure.
So, you need to sit down and work out exactly what your priorities are in life..
In your position, I would marry in a heartbeat... And I wouldn't apply "inland" either...

Fadzi

Feb 25, 2014
Both of you are right and thinking about it, it seems its the only route to go. I now have new questions based on that option; we can have a small living room ceremony with an officiant and a few of our friends and family in Toronto...His family in UK all work full time and wont make it at all coz it would just be too much work; my family lives in Alberta and again, cant make it to Toronto on short notice. Wont CIC ask why the wedding was planned so quickly, if anything, could we not have waited until my Alberta family could make it? What will i say to them without making it sound like, "we did it to be able to apply for PR without issues?" :-\ I dont know anyone who has applied for PR before so i dont know what/if they ask questions when you have a marriage certificate.

If i can add, hubby has been in Canada now for a month and a half continous....do we say "he has moved in now so we wanted to get married and live together as hubby and wife so we had to get married promptly". ??

Random rant; fraudulent immigration applications always seem to go through yet legitimate ones cant seem to make the bar, :(

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Given your history together, I think it's extremely unlikely that CIC will question the validity of your relationship and subsequent marriage. This is another good reason for applying "outland" via London.

Fadzi

Feb 25, 2014
If i understood you correctly, are you saying if we get married and apply inland, they might question it?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
No, what I am saying is that "inland" is for people where the applicant is already "permanently" in Canada, which in your case is obviously not true, otherwise you could probably have managed "common-law" anyway. Secondly, there is no appeal available to "inland" cases, whereas with "outland" you could appeal a refusal. It's also a LOT faster through the UK.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fadzi said:
If i understood you correctly, are you saying if we get married and apply inland, they might question it?
I believe that zardoz is suggesting Outland as it's a faster process overall. He can still be in Canada, while the Outland application is being processed, as long as he maintains his visitor status. Remember...he cannot `live' with you until he has PR, only `visit' ;) you.

Fadzi

Feb 25, 2014
Oh, i get you. The reason why we preferred to do inland was to be able to get him the OWP so that he is able to start working quickly. I called CIC and they said he cant apply for a work permit with an outland application. The OWP approval is more important right now than PR coz he really wants to get to work asap, the PR will always come afterwards. He already quit his job and gave up his apartment when he left UK.
Getting married is looking like a real option right now, i just want to make sure all bases are covered and no flags are raised, hence the million and one questions....I'm an Aries, inherent worrier :-[

Fadzi

Feb 25, 2014
Ponga said:
I believe that zardoz is suggesting Outland as it's a faster process overall. He can still be in Canada, while the Outland application is being processed, as long as he maintains his visitor status. Remember...he cannot `live' with you until he has PR, only `visit' ;) you.
I know, he still has his visitor status intact. I remember hearing someone say they got an Open Work Permit after about 6 months of sending in the Inland application. Will getting a PR be complete in round about the same time if its done outland? Coz right now its about what gets him working the fastest, lol! we have two kids, 10 and 2 and it would be great (for me, hint hint!) if he starts working asap, hence preference for inland...

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You do realise that the OWP would be many months in the future... I think the current time is somewhere between 8 and 11 months AFTER application. He cannot work until then. The "outland" would probably have been finished by then completely.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fadzi said:
I know, he still has his visitor status intact. I remember hearing someone say they got an Open Work Permit after about 6 months of sending in the Inland application. Will getting a PR be complete in round about the same time if its done outland? Coz right now its about what gets him working the fastest, lol! we have two kids, 10 and 2 and it would be great (for me, hint hint!) if he starts working asap, hence preference for inland...

Uh...not likely to happen that fast.

Firstly, it's going to take you more time than you think just to get your application ready to be sent to CIC. You'll double and triple check everything...and then check it again!!

OWP applications are not even processed until you are approved as his sponsor (AIP). He can apply on-line after you receive AIP (which could be 8-9 months AFTER CIC receives your application). The wait for OWP after that could be anywhere from 14-?? days. So, it's unlikely that he will be able to work until the end of 2014.

The most important thing is having a good, clean application. Don't rush, just for the sake of his OWP.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
One other thing to allow for is the time required, due to the insane levels of bureaucracy in Canada, for the Marriage Certificate to arrive. While in the UK, it's instant at the end of the ceremony, I think it can take weeks in Canada.
You will require this before you submit your application.