CIC Missisauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-18-2014
AOR Received.
08-07-2014
Med's Done....
June 2015 got them redone Police Certificate: Sent with application OWP: Sent with application
Interview........
30-09-2015
LANDED..........
30-09-2015
KaZRa said:
We never did get the AOR letter.
I understand I didnt either. When did you send your application? When did you get it back? Are you the sponsor?

jpjulio

Feb 25, 2014
Hello all! I'm new here and I wish all the best for you guys!!

I'm in Toronto and I just sent my Common Law application to Mississauga.
The game has started lol

Cheers

Fadzi

Feb 25, 2014
Hello,
I am Can-citizen and my common-law is British. We are going to be doing in inland application and we are still gathering the documents required but I am confused about a few things, hope I can get help here. We have been doing the long distance thing for three years and we had a daughter in 2012. He would come to Canada up to 6 motnhs at a time and go back to UK to work. When submitting our application, do we say we are 'common-law'? and what other documents can we add to prove the legitimacy of our relationship. I included declaration letters from family, our daughter's birth certificate and pictures; what else can i add? It's such a frustrating process and i'm glad this forum is there to help others who feel similar frustrations...help!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fadzi said:
Hello,
I am Can-citizen and my common-law is British. We are going to be doing in inland application and we are still gathering the documents required but I am confused about a few things, hope I can get help here. We have been doing the long distance thing for three years and we had a daughter in 2012. He would come to Canada up to 6 motnhs at a time and go back to UK to work. When submitting our application, do we say we are 'common-law'? and what other documents can we add to prove the legitimacy of our relationship. I included declaration letters from family, our daughter's birth certificate and pictures; what else can i add? It's such a frustrating process and i'm glad this forum is there to help others who feel similar frustrations...help!
No. You are not Common-Law in the eyes of CIC.

You have to prove that you have lived together for at least 12 months continuously; 6 months, with a break to return to the UK for work, followed by another 6 months doesn't count.

You will need to get married if you wish to sponsor him.

tica1008

Star Member
Jun 10, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Missisauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-18-2014
AOR Received.
08-07-2014
Med's Done....
June 2015 got them redone Police Certificate: Sent with application OWP: Sent with application
Interview........
30-09-2015
LANDED..........
30-09-2015
jpjulio said:
Hello all! I'm new here and I wish all the best for you guys!!

I'm in Toronto and I just sent my Common Law application to Mississauga.
The game has started lol

Cheers
Welcome the waiting game begins best of luck!!

Fadzi

Feb 25, 2014
Ponga said:
No. You are not Common-Law in the eyes of CIC.

You have to prove that you have lived together for at least 12 months continuously; 6 months, with a break to return to the UK for work, followed by another 6 months doesn't count.

You will need to get married if you wish to sponsor him.

We have a daughter together though who is turned 2 (today!), will that not count as 'proof' of a common-law relationship? Or do we say we are a 'conjugal couple'?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fadzi said:
We have a daughter together though who is turned 2 (today!), will that not count as 'proof' of a common-law relationship? Or do we say we are a 'conjugal couple'?
Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Unfortunately, she does not prove your common-law relationship.

Since you have not lived together, as required, for 12 months you cannot apply for Common-Law sponsorship...nor can you apply as conjugal partners.

So sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

Fadzi

Feb 25, 2014
i found this just now from CIC site,

A conjugal partner is a foreign national residing outside Canada who is in a conjugal relationship with a sponsor for at least one year, but could not live with the sponsor as a couple. This term applies to both heterosexual and homosexual couples. This category was established for partners of sponsors who normally would present an application as spouse or common-law partner but cannot due to circumstances beyond their control (e. g., immigration barrier, religious reasons or sexual orientation). Thus, they could not live together for a period of at least one year.

In most cases, the foreign partner is also not able to legally marry their sponsor and qualify as a spouse. In all other respects, the couple is similar to a common-law couple or a married couple, meaning they have been in a bona fide (genuine) conjugal relationship for a period of at least one year.

However, a significant degree of attachment and mutually interdependence between both partners must be demonstrated. They must also provide proof of the obstacles or restrictions that prevent cohabitation or marriage.."
We have over fourty or so air tickets as proof of him coming here constantly, and we have proof of "interdependence" i.e. he has sent me money several time from UK (moneygram) to pay bills for the house etc....
I am afraid if we just get married now, it will def not look legitimiate because we have to explain why none of our family could attend. the rest of his family lives in UK and mine lives in Alberta...I live in ON. :'(

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fadzi said:
i found this just now from CIC site,

We have over fourty or so air tickets as proof of him coming here constantly, and we have proof of "interdependence" i.e. he has sent me money several time from UK (moneygram) to pay bills for the house etc....
I am afraid if we just get married now, it will def not look legitimiate because we have to explain why none of our family could attend. the rest of his family lives in UK and mine lives in Alberta...I live in ON. :'(
The difference is (and it's a big one):

Conjugal partners typically cannot get married.

You can, and could have previously, but have chosen not to. There is nothing preventing you from getting married.

I know it's hard to hear, but from what you've described, you have no chance of being approved as a conjugal partner.

You're absolutely right: rushing out to get married will certainly raise a red flag with CIC, as it could be seen as a marriage of convenience (for immigration purposes), but it might be your only hope at this point. Hopefully others will offer their opinions as well.

Good luck!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Agreed. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf - Section 5.45 onwards.

You do not appear to meet the strict definition of "Conjugal Partners".

Similarly, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf - Section 5.34 onwards.

You do not appear to meet the strict definition of "Common-Law Partners".

Feb 20, 2014
hey all

I paid the $150 fee for an OWP - now fee has gone up to $155 - I want to pre-emtively pay that extra $5. I found that on CIC website there is now an option to do that if you follow the process to pay for the temp residency - "Work Permit" fee, then select the option 3rd from bottom:

"Fee difference for Work Permit (if you already paid $150) - $5.00"

I plan to send this into them (to both Miss. and Vegreville offices) to add to my file, should hopefully save some waste time. I'l call the ca centre and see if they can make a note on my file also to say i did this with the receipt number.

hope this helps someone.

Carlaganda23

Jan 8, 2014
Halifax Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
Med's Done....
12-05-2015
LANDED..........
SA, AIP and DM May 21th, 2015 Landed: June 12, 2015
Aussie.in.Montreal said:
hey all

I paid the $150 fee for an OWP - now fee has gone up to $155 - I want to pre-emtively pay that extra $5. I found that on CIC website there is now an option to do that if you follow the process to pay for the temp residency - "Work Permit" fee, then select the option 3rd from bottom:

I plan to send this into them (to both Miss. and Vegreville offices) to add to my file, should hopefully save some waste time. I'l call the ca centre and see if they can make a note on my file also to say i did this with the receipt number.

hope this helps someone.
You can apply your work permit if you have an AIP but its your choice if you want to send it with your Sponsorship...It only takes 10-19 days processing online.

tica1008

Star Member
Jun 10, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Missisauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-18-2014
AOR Received.
08-07-2014
Med's Done....
Interview........
30-09-2015
LANDED..........
30-09-2015
Aussie.in.Montreal said:
hey all

hope this helps someone.
It defenetely helps me!! I am looking for it right now!!

Thanks!!!

tica1008

Star Member
Jun 10, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Missisauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-18-2014
AOR Received.
08-07-2014
Med's Done....
Interview........
30-09-2015
LANDED..........
30-09-2015
YES, you can pay the extra $5 dollars through the CIC website. Fast and easy!!!