+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Initial refugee process and asylum details required

BHaider5

Feb 3, 2023
Hello AoA
Hope all are good .
I am looking for the guide lines and help from those who have recently applied for refugee case to Canada from US. I came to US in October end and now I want to apply for the asylum to Canada ... which is the safer way becoz I have family my wife and 3 kids with me . Either I should go to Canadian border or through the church I should proceed ?
Your kind and right directions are required in this matter please .

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello AoA
Hope all are good .
I am looking for the guide lines and help from those who have recently applied for refugee case to Canada from US. I came to US in October end and now I want to apply for the asylum to Canada ... which is the safer way becoz I have family my wife and 3 kids with me . Either I should go to Canadian border or through the church I should proceed ?
Your kind and right directions are required in this matter please .
Do you have family in Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Not siblings ... but my aunt's daughter and relatives yes .
You can only claim refugee status at a border crossing if you qualify for an exemption under the Safe Third Country Agreement. One of those exemptions is having family in Canada however I don't know if a cousin is a close enough family member. Hopefully others can comment. Are you in touch with your cousin? Would they be willing to come to the border and/or provide documents to prove you are related and they are living in Canada?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You can only claim refugee status at a border crossing if you qualify for an exemption under the Safe Third Country Agreement. One of those exemptions is having family in Canada however I don't know if a cousin is a close enough family member. Hopefully others can comment. Are you in touch with your cousin? Would they be willing to come to the border and/or provide documents to prove you are related and they are living in Canada?
The Safe Third Country Agreement recognizes a family member as the following:

• spouse
  • legal guardian
  • child
  • father or mother
  • sister or brother
  • grandfather or grandmother
  • grandchild
  • uncle or aunt
  • nephew or niece
  • common-law partner
  • same-sex spouse
Cousins are not on the list, so not eligible under the agreement at a border crossing.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Not siblings ... but my aunt's daughter and relatives yes .
So based on the additional information above, you cannot claim refugee status at a Canadian port of entry (i.e. official border crossing).

Church sponsorship is not doable while you are in the US either.

The only possible option is to cross into Canada illegally. I don't know any details about this..

Reactions: Naturgrl

BHaider5

Feb 3, 2023
Yes I am ... yes they are willing to ..
Basically I am Shia Muslim... I need refugee plus religious asylum. That's why I am collecting the informations . Somebody told me to contact the church ... by that way you can reach here . Border way can be risky.

BHaider5

Feb 3, 2023
The Safe Third Country Agreement recognizes a family member as the following:

• spouse
  • legal guardian
  • child
  • father or mother
  • sister or brother
  • grandfather or grandmother
  • grandchild
  • uncle or aunt
  • nephew or niece
  • common-law partner
  • same-sex spouse
Cousins are not on the list, so not eligible under the agreement at a border crossing.
I think there are a lot of refugee cases in which family ties are not involved. If a refugee doesn't have a blood relative means ... he is not gonna have this opportunity. My situation is complicated . At my country I am not safe that's the reason I want to apply for this .

BHaider5

Feb 3, 2023
Anyone who can give me the church mobile number which helps in this context of Canadian refugee / asylum case . Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Reactions: BHaider5

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I think there are a lot of refugee cases in which family ties are not involved. If a refugee doesn't have a blood relative means ... he is not gonna have this opportunity. My situation is complicated . At my country I am not safe that's the reason I want to apply for this .
Of course, many refugees have no family in Canada. But to claim asylum at a border crossing from the US, you must meet the Safe Third County Agreement requirements have have family (listed) able to take you in.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Anyone who can give me the church mobile number which helps in this context of Canadian refugee / asylum case . Thanks
A church cannot help you. They cannot sponsor you.

Since you are in the US and because of the Safe Third Country Agreement, the only option for claiming refugee status in Canada requires you to cross into Canada illegally with your family and to claim refugee status from within Canada.

If you're not comfortable with that, then stick with the refugee claim you have made in the US.

BHaider5

Feb 3, 2023
Of course, many refugees have no family in Canada. But to claim asylum at a border crossing from the US, you must meet the Safe Third County Agreement requirements have have family (listed) able to take you in.
You are right ... international rules matter .

BHaider5

Feb 3, 2023
A church cannot help you. They cannot sponsor you.

Since you are in the US and because of the Safe Third Country Agreement, the only option for claiming refugee status in Canada requires you to cross into Canada illegally with your family and to claim refugee status from within Canada.

If you're not comfortable with that, then stick with the refugee claim you have made in the US.
Really ...
Means somebody misguided me .
Yeah right ... basically I don't have much informations that's why I am here to take wise advices of brilliant and experienced people before doing anything . And thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Really ...
Means somebody misguided me .
Yeah right ... basically I don't have much informations that's why I am here to take wise advices of brilliant and experienced people before doing anything . And thanks
Can you give more details about what that person told you exactly? Maybe there is an option I haven't considered. But the US refugee application really really limits your options at this point for claiming refugee status in Canada.

Reactions: Naturgrl