+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indirect route from India

GV-Patiala

Jul 2, 2021
Hi everyone please advice on this. I plan to travel to Montreal from India in the last week of August or first week of September either through indirect route or direct route depending on the situation. From Montreal I plan to go to ottawa and stay there for 3-4 days as I have some very dear relatives over there which I want to meet. After that I will go to St. John’s, Newfoundland as I am going to Memorial University. Is my plan feasible ? I will be needing CAQ, as I will be entering Quebec? I will be travelling by car from Montreal airport to Ottawa. The decision of quarantine will be decided at the point of entry right? I am fully vaccinate with both doses of covashield

binnareyn

Jun 9, 2020
Hi everyone please advice on this. I plan to travel to Montreal from India in the last week of August or first week of September either through indirect route or direct route depending on the situation. From Montreal I plan to go to ottawa and stay there for 3-4 days as I have some very dear relatives over there which I want to meet. After that I will go to St. John’s, Newfoundland as I am going to Memorial University. Is my plan feasible ?
Yes. You may need to get RT PCR from a third country, but Canada travel policy will be reviewed by Aug 21.

I will be needing CAQ, as I will be entering Quebec?
No. CAQ is for students admitted to a school in Quebec.

I will be travelling by car from Montreal airport to Ottawa. The decision of quarantine will be decided at the point of entry right? I am fully vaccinate with both doses of covashield
Yes. You may need to observe Provincial Restrictions too [ - Montreal to Ottawa; and Ottawa to Newfoundland. ]

GV-Patiala

Jul 2, 2021
Yes. You may need to get RT PCR from a third country, but Canada travel policy will be reviewed by Aug 21.

No. CAQ is for students admitted to a school in Quebec.

Yes. You may need to observe Provincial Restrictions too [ - Montreal to Ottawa; and Ottawa to Newfoundland. ]

Thank you so much

Catmom

May 28, 2020
Trip 1:
Mumbai -> Maldives

Trip 2:
Maldives -> DOHA -> YYZ/YUL
Maldives -> DOHA -> [FRAnkfurt] -> YYZ/YUL
Maldives -> DOHA -> [CDG Paris] -> YYZ/YUL

OR

Trip 1:
Mumbai -> London -> Tirana/Albenia

Trip 2:
Tirana/Albenia -> FRAnkfurt -> YYZ
Not really helpful. But thnks anyways

Catmom

May 28, 2020
India to London (Heathrow) is allowed with a PCR test from India as long as you plan on airside transit. Before you can board your flight for next leg of the journey, you will have to check entry/transit rules. Currently, entry to Canada requires a PCR from a 3rd country so you will have to figure out 24 hour-48 hour halt while the PCR test results are available.

If you want to enter London you have to follow quarantine rules for Red List/Amber List (for India). Check the link I shared in my earlier post and check UK gov site.
Not really helpful but added more to confusion. lol. but thanks anyways

• Haha
Reactions: rogerdude1

binnareyn

Jun 9, 2020
Not really helpful. But thnks anyways
Well, don't expect us to book your tickets as well!

DOH, FRA and CDG Paris are better transit points for Canada than London.

Please try google flights and momondo for better information.

I told you what I could find. :confused:

Reactions: Kamalarsh
Aug 6, 2021
Hi all, thanks for all the helpful information on this thread!
I was wondering if anyone has tried for the Schengen visa? It typically takes about a month. I am unaware of current processing timelines, but won't this open up multiple routes? eg. stopover and testing in Frankfurt.
Am I missing something?
Thanks!

Catmom

May 28, 2020
Well, don't expect us to book your tickets as well!

DOH, FRA and CDG Paris are better transit points for Canada than London.

Please try google flights and momondo for better information.

I told you what I could find. :confused:
Those are the best routes... Everyone knows. Also pricey.. Heathrow is cheaper, so was trying to dig deep ONLY for that.

binnareyn

Jun 9, 2020
Germany doesn't allow visit visa holders to land yet.

A transit visa may not let you do an RT PCR. That is what I understand.

Paris and Heathrow will allow you, but the rules are different if you cross passport control (than transit).

Albenia [Visa-On-Arrival] is a good option, if you want to cross passport control and do an RT PCR.

1. A Schengen visa, probably a french one, may take two weeks+.
2. They hold your passport during that time.
3. You must be fully be vaccinated with an approved vaccine.
4. You may need to be closer to an application centre.

Reactions: Catmom
Aug 6, 2021
Germany doesn't allow visit visa holders to land yet.

A transit visa may not let you do an RT PCR. That is what I understand.

Paris and Heathrow will allow you, but the rules are different if you cross passport control (than transit).

Albenia [Visa-On-Arrival] is a good option, if you want to cross passport control and do an RT PCR.

1. A Schengen visa, probably a french one, may take two weeks+.
2. They hold your passport during that time.
3. You must be fully be vaccinated with an approved vaccine.
4. You may need to be closer to an application centre.

Thank you for your reply! I was reading the following at <https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/faqs/EN/topics/civil-protection/coronavirus/coronavirus-faqs.html#doc13797140bodyText3> under the Qn: 'When is transit through Germany permitted?'

"Transit through Germany to travel to a country outside of the EU
Citizens of countries outside of the EU may enter Germany to travel to a country outside of the EU if the following conditions are met:

1. the traveller remains in Germany (as country of transit) only as long as absolutely necessary to travel directly to the country of destination or another transit country;
  2. the traveller is permitted to enter the country of destination or another transit country, if applicable.
The traveller must provide evidence on entry that the conditions (1) and (2) listed above have been met. Airline or other travel tickets, etc. may be presented to meet condition (1). To meet condition (2), travellers can present authorisation of entry to the country of destination (e.g. a visa) or an identity document or residence authorisation for the country of destination, for example."

Does the above not mean that Indian students (with a Schengen visa) can enter Germany for the purpose of traveling onwards to Canada - staying there only for the necessary period of max 24 hrs in order to take an RT-PCR test?

I am just curious to know if anyone has explored this route (or any other through the Schengen region) and has tried (successfully or not) for a Schengen visa.

Aug 6, 2021
Guys,

How about Mumbai - Heathrow - Mexico ?
I believe you need to either (1) book the Heathrow-Mexico flight on the same day as you reach Heathrow; or (2) book a transit hotel, if the onward flight is on the next day. Otherwise you will need to pass through border control (and hence, need a visa).

[Source: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/india/transit/somewhere_else: "You must also pass through border control if both:
  • your onward flight leaves on a different calendar day to when you arrive
  • there’s nowhere for you to stay overnight in the airport, for example in a transit hotel"]

Catmom

May 28, 2020
I believe you need to either (1) book the Heathrow-Mexico flight on the same day as you reach Heathrow; or (2) book a transit hotel, if the onward flight is on the next day. Otherwise you will need to pass through border control (and hence, need a visa).

[Source: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/india/transit/somewhere_else: "You must also pass through border control if both:
  • your onward flight leaves on a different calendar day to when you arrive
  • there’s nowhere for you to stay overnight in the airport, for example in a transit hotel"]
Mumbai - Heathrow - 8 hours break - Heathrow to Mexico... Is this safe?

Sinper

Star Member
Dec 14, 2020
Why nobody considering Zurich route? RTPCR facility is available in Transit. And routes are also shorter from it.