+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

fallcolours

Star Member
Oct 19, 2017
Hi guys,
I have an appointment coming up this month for Indian passport surrender at the BLS Brampton office.
I would really like to limit the financial damage for the hafta that I may have to pay BLS coz I don't have millions stashed in my bank account.

1) Photos - From what I understand, they will find some silly issue like they don't like the shape of your nose or the size of your chin or something if we already have a photo and they will force you to take the photo at BLS. Is it better to get the photos done at BLS itself? Would rather not have to pay twice for the photos.
2) Purolator mail - I'd rather not have my cancelled passport fly first class at their exhorbitant rates after processing. How easy is it to pickup the cancelled passport / surrender certificate at the office?

adstarscream732

May 6, 2019
you're right; SC application doesn't have this qn. best hai. just go ahead; don't approach the maiden name/affidavit etc. area yourself; they wouldn't either.
no, shouldn't have an issue in OCI (see my msg above, option 1)
CGI/HCI records relate to what you have as documents - passports, etc. we normally save pdfs of applications; check if you've declared it previously. but agar kiya bhee hoga, eventually her PP etc. would've been made in her married name. i really doubt issuing authorities dig that deep before issuing subsequent documents.
Cool cool cool! Thank you! Will let you know how the appointment goes!

Reactions: 2017CanadaHo!

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi guys,
I have an appointment coming up this month for Indian passport surrender at the BLS Brampton office.
I would really like to limit the financial damage for the hafta that I may have to pay BLS coz I don't have millions stashed in my bank account.

1) Photos - From what I understand, they will find some silly issue like they don't like the shape of your nose or the size of your chin or something if we already have a photo and they will force you to take the photo at BLS. Is it better to get the photos done at BLS itself? Would rather not have to pay twice for the photos.
2) Purolator mail - I'd rather not have my cancelled passport fly first class at their exhorbitant rates after processing. How easy is it to pickup the cancelled passport / surrender certificate at the office?
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/indian-passport-surrender.771938/post-10807982

Although mentioned in the OCI threads some of the info is relevant for SC
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-10799975

Tibs

May 27, 2019
No. Only one parent is enough. Make sure you sign the second page of the application form underneath the thumb impression box.

Instructions say DO NOT sign, but he asked me to sign, both parents.
One parent is enough but take all originals of the second parent too, just in case.
Hi there,

I am in the process of surrendering Indian Passport. wanted to understand that on the 1st page, under photograph, only thumb impression of the minor is needed, whereas on the 2nd page (declaration section) thumb impression of the minor and signature of both the parents needed ?
I am confused specifically about the second page.
Thank you

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Any applicants from Montreal here? Are there any updates in the past 2months? And if the processing time exceeds can we go ahead and raise a request with BLS or Consulate General??

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
@2017CanadaHo! @abbas.pasha bhaiyyo, aur ek stupid follow up question:

Should we sign our Application form in both places and paste photo before going? OR Once we go there get photos clicked and then sign the form?
i can only answer with personal experience (had a similar doubt myself too) - took photos with us, asked them if okay then will paste them. application was signed already by us and luckily it had no issues. others may have done it differently.

Reactions: adstarscream732

anburaj

Sep 10, 2018
For my spouse and Kid , i have only ontario health card for ID proof.

I called BLS they told Notice of assessment for spouse is ok and for my kid my proof as driving license is enough .. does anyone applied passport surrender in my scenario ? Please reply .. thank you..

Proof of address in Canada for passport surrender..
Please enclose any one of the following document as proof of present address:
(i) Driving License
(ii) Photo ID issued by the Ontario Government
(iii) Utility Bills(Electricity/water/Gas/Phone/Internet etc)-must be recent

frooty9999

Apr 10, 2024
I sent my surrender application by Canada post to Brampton BLS, and it was returned to me without opening, has anyone ever faced this issue? I rechecked the address it was correct, not sure what’s wrong and what should I do next.
I was trying to check their online pick up drop off link, but it is not working since so long, so decided to send by Canada post.

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019
I sent my surrender application by Canada post to Brampton BLS, and it was returned to me without opening, has anyone ever faced this issue? I rechecked the address it was correct, not sure what’s wrong and what should I do next.
I was trying to check their online pick up drop off link, but it is not working since so long, so decided to send by Canada post.
BLS will only accept packages sent through Purolator.