+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

alexross

Jan 11, 2018
Hi Guys, please help. I am applying for surrender certificate for myself and my family (wife and child). I created a login id in passportindia.gov.in and I see a link to apply for surrender certificate there. Now my question is, can I use the same login id to submit all 3 applications one by one? Or do I need to create 3 login ids and submit one application each from separate login ids. Thank you for your help!

seamarine

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
Hi Guys, please help. I am applying for surrender certificate for myself and my family (wife and child). I created a login id in passportindia.gov.in and I see a link to apply for surrender certificate there. Now my question is, can I use the same login id to submit all 3 applications one by one? Or do I need to create 3 login ids and submit one application each from separate login ids. Thank you for your help!
1 id for 3 applications

Thanks

Reactions: alexross

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Yes you can use the same login and create 3 applications under your login
I did the same.

Reactions: alexross

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
https://eoi.gov.in/eoisearch/MyPrint.php?0834?001/0005

Surrender of Indian Passport
Surrender of Indian passports after acquisition of foreign nationality

As per the Passports Act 1967, it is mandatory for all Indian passport holders to surrender their passports to the nearest Indian Mission/Post immediately after acquisition of foreign nationality. Misuse of Indian passports constitutes an offence under Section 12(1A) of the Passports Act 1967.

2. The Embassy will not be in a position to render services like OCI, PIO cards, Visa until the Indian passport has been duly surrendered on acquisition of foreign nationality.

3. The form for miscellaneous services already available on our website can be used for surrendering the Indian passport (option 8 - Misc. Services) with a fee of . The form must be accompanied by a covering note clearly stating the date of acquisition of foreign nationality.

4. All applications for OCI/PIO Card and Indian visa should be accompanied by a Surrender Certificate obtained as above, or an affidavit confirming the status of the Indian passport previously held and details of any journey(s) that may have been undertaken on the Indian passport after acquiring foreign nationality. 5. Please be informed that a penalty as per details given below would be imposed for non-surrender of Indian passport after acquiring a foreign passport and travel on the Indian passport thereafter.

S.N.ScenarioPenaltySection
1.Passport not surrendered up to three years and not used for travel after obtaining foreign passport.No penalty--
2.Passport not surrendered up to three years and travelled once after obtaining foreign passport.No penalty for retention of passport but penalty of Rs. 10,000/- for travel on Indian passport12(1A)
3.Passport not surrendered up to three years and travelled more than once after obtaining foreign passport.No penalty for retention of passport but penalty of Rs. 10,000/- for each travel on Indian passport (aggregate penalty on travel not to exceed Rs. 50,000/-)12(1A)
4.Passport not surrendered for over three years and used for travel after obtaining foreign passportPenalty of Rs. 10,000/- for retention of passport and penalty of Rs. 10,000/- for each travel on Indian passport (aggregate penalty on travel not to exceed Rs. 50,000/-).12(1A)
5.Renewal/re-issue of Indian passport and travelling on it after acquiring foreign nationality(i) Rs. 25,000/- for each renewal/re-issue and, (ii) Rs. 10,000/- for each travel on Indian passport (aggregate penalty on travel not to exceed Rs. 50,000/-)12(1A)

6. A grace period of three months is allowed from the date of acquisition of foreign citizenship, for the purpose of travel on an Indian Passport. Therefore, no penalty will be leviable for travel on an Indian passport within three months of acquisition of a foreign passport.

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
CONFIRMED IN WRITING FROM CONSULATE - CANADIAN PASSPORT REQUIRED FOR SURRENDERING INDIAN PASSPORT.

Declaration that you don't have a Canadian pp, will not work.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: abbas.pasha

yaml

Star Member
Aug 16, 2022
CONFIRMED IN WRITING FROM CONSULATE - CANADIAN PASSPORT REQUIRED FOR SURRENDERING INDIAN PASSPORT.

I surrendered my Indian passport on Feb 9 in Brampton without Canadian passport with a letter stating that it's not yet issued. No issues at all the current status is "Surrender Certificate is printed"

shubh15

Nov 14, 2022
Hi, I wanted to check if we can get surrender certificate on urgent/ tatkal basis. My wife just finished oath ceremony on Feb. 14 and we have to travel to India on an urgent basis due to illness in family. The travel plans are for March 10 as my wife is pregnant we are not able to delay this travel plan given she is pregnant and doctor has recommended the latest we can travel is 32 weeks of her pregnancy which is mid march. We are travelling for 8-9 months as we have a critical illness in family and due to our situation we will have the baby in India. Due to this we wont be able to receive the certificate till we are back.

We were earlier planning to apply for e visa and then surrender the Indian passport in India, but now I read in different forum that its not possible to get e visa unless surrender certificate is issued.

1: Can we get surrender certificate on urgent basis?
2: Can we apply for e visa without surrender certificate?
3: Can we apply for visa and surrender certificate at the same time?
4: Can we apply for surrender certificate from India and get travel visa from Canada?
5: Do we need to do all of this from BLS or can we contact consulate to resolve this issue?

Last edited:

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi, I wanted to check if we can get surrender certificate on urgent/ tatkal basis. My wife just finished oath ceremony on Feb. 14 and we have to travel to India on an urgent basis due to illness in family. The travel plans are for March 10 as my wife is pregnant we are not able to delay this travel plan given she is pregnant and doctor has recommended the latest we can travel is 32 weeks of her pregnancy which is mid march. We are travelling for 8-9 months as we have a critical illness in family and due to our situation we will have the baby in India. Due to this we wont be able to receive the certificate till we are back.

We were earlier planning to apply for e visa and then surrender the Indian passport in India, but now I read in different forum that its not possible to get e visa unless surrender certificate is issued.

1: Can we get surrender certificate on urgent basis?
2: Can we apply for e visa without surrender certificate?
3: Can we apply for visa and surrender certificate at the same time?
4: Can we apply for surrender certificate from India and get travel visa from Canada?
5: Do we need to do all of this from BLS or can we contact consulate to resolve this issue?
Here is my suggestion...
You can apply for eVisa. eVisa does not require Indian passport to be surrendered. https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html
But keep in mind eVisa max validity for stay in India is 180 days only.(check FAQs in the link above). You can apply for eVisa online, without going to BLS

If you apply for entry/tourist visa through BLS, surrender of Indian Citizenship and Indian Passport cancellation is required.

I dont know if you can aply for surrender certificate in India, but read through the passport seva link: https://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/online/welcomeLink#

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

This seems to be most recent change. I guess CGI/HCI introduced it because a number of applicants were applying without the Canadian passport

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
I surrendered my Indian passport on Feb 9 in Brampton without Canadian passport with a letter stating that it's not yet issued. No issues at all the current status is "Surrender Certificate is printed"
yeah, it has been changed recently. and i was so unlucky, i saw it change! 16th Feb they were accepting it but they had some issue with the declaration. i go back on 17th and they say not any more!!!!

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
This seems to be most recent change. I guess CGI/HCI introduced it because a number of applicants were applying without the Canadian passport
they are free to make changes, but a) they should update the website (now i see it updated at places), and b) this is a wrong change! so if someone doesn't want a Canadian passport, he is not considered a Canadian citizen by Indian authorities! c'mon!!

SPV

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
20-02-2017
Nomination.....
13-04-2017
AOR Received.
20-06-2017
Med's Done....
14-07-2017

My husband surrendered in person in Toronto on Feb 14th and they accepted the self affidavit that he has not gotten the Canada passport yet. Currently, the status in passport seva site is surrender application is in review at the consulate. I will keep you updated on what happens.

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
My husband surrendered in person in Toronto on Feb 14th and they accepted the self affidavit that he has not gotten the Canada passport yet. Currently, the status in passport seva site is surrender application is in review at the consulate. I will keep you updated on what happens.
lucky you/him! i missed it by just one day, actually even less than 24 hours!!

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/indian-passport-surrender.771938/post-10373817