+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian Passport Renewal from BLS Toronto

info4sourav

Star Member
Jul 8, 2014
Hello everyone,

I am a PR holder of Canada and residing here since July last year (2018). My passport is going to expire in November 2019.
As I don't live in Toronto, I am thinking toapply for the renewal process during my visit to Toronto in a week from now.

I have a couple of questions, Would request you to kindly help/advise me in this, based on your personal experiences/knowledge.

1) Do I need to go through BLS International at Brampton only or can I get it done directly through the consulate in Toronto? In the latter case, if there any benefit in terms of processing time?

2) Do I need to submit my old passport and PR card along with the application form? I have a visitor visa to US stamped on my old passport,which is valid till 2023. Will that be gone once the passport is renewed?

3) Are they going to mail me my new passport,alongwith my old passport copy to the local address provided by me? In that, is it reliable enough to get it couriered outside Toronto (within Ontario)?

4) If I fill up the form online and then go to BLS International office, from your personal experience could you please tell me how much time do they take to call up and get the application submitted?

5) Do you advise to give my current local address in Canada to be mentioned there in the passport or do I need to mention my erstwhile Indian home address only?

6) Do I also need to submit COPR or any other document? I have PR card, will that suffice?

Would be grateful for a prompt reply/advice on the above points.

Regards,
Sourav

PranavKat

Star Member
Jul 10, 2015
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
2171 - FSW-Outland
Doc's Request.
21-10-2015
AOR Received.
08-10-2015
Med's Done....
05-09-2015
Passport Req..
18-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
07-04-2016
LANDED..........
09-07-2016
Hi Sourav,

see your replies below to the best of my knowledge.

Hello everyone,

I am a PR holder of Canada and residing here since July last year (2018). My passport is going to expire in November 2019.
As I don't live in Toronto, I am thinking toapply for the renewal process during my visit to Toronto in a week from now.

I have a couple of questions, Would request you to kindly help/advise me in this, based on your personal experiences/knowledge.

1) Do I need to go through BLS International at Brampton only or can I get it done directly through the consulate in Toronto? In the latter case, if there any benefit in terms of processing time? Passport renewal through normal process are accepted at BLS only.

2) Do I need to submit my old passport and PR card along with the application form? Yes I have a visitor visa to US stamped on my old passport,which is valid till 2023. Will that be gone once the passport is renewed? US Visa will remain valid. You just need to carry your old passport.

3) Are they going to mail me my new passport,alongwith my old passport copy to the local address provided by me? Yes In that, is it reliable enough to get it couriered outside Toronto (within Ontario)? Not sure. You may ask for express service which is tracked.

4) If I fill up the form online and then go to BLS International office, from your personal experience could you please tell me how much time do they take to call up and get the application submitted? I went to BLS in Scarborough on a wednesday around 9:30 am. I completed the whole process in 15 minutes. But it entirely depends on the rush on that particular day.

5) Do you advise to give my current local address in Canada to be mentioned there in the passport or do I need to mention my erstwhile Indian home address only? In the main application, mention your canadian address as the main address. Indian address will come under other address. Same is the case with Personal Particulates form.

6) Do I also need to submit COPR or any other document? I have PR card, will that suffice? PR Card & old passport for sure they will keep. Carry originals and photocopies of all the other documents as mentioned in their checklist.

Would be grateful for a prompt reply/advice on the above points.

Regards,
Sourav

Reactions: AnujaA

Avadh04

Dec 26, 2017
Hello Every one,

Do they physically make address verification for passport renewal.
is bls Brampton same as bls Toronto, is there any processing time difference?

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
Hello Every one,

Do they physically make address verification for passport renewal.
is bls Brampton same as bls Toronto, is there any processing time difference?
No physical verification, you need to send a utility bill or drivers license copy. The new passport would be send to this address.

AnujaA

Jun 2, 2019
Hello everyone,
This thread has been really informative. I do have a query though. Is the Indian address accepted as Address to be printed in the passport application?

Thanks

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hello everyone,
This thread has been really informative. I do have a query though. Is the Indian address accepted as Address to be printed in the passport application?

Thanks
Yes assuming your permanent address is still Indian, although both Indian and Canadian address proofs will be asked for (latter for your current mailing address).

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
As of Jun 2019, BLS/CGI have stopped asking for original PR as part of passport renewal. You still need to carry it alongwith you to BLS but you will not have to send it to CGI alongwith rest of your application

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto

Walkin Application: 05th Jun 2019
Processing at CGI : 05th Jun 2019
Dispatched via Courier : 19th Jun 201
(Delivered) : 20th Jun 2019

Gurnihal

Jul 26, 2019
Hi all,

I'm a PR from India residing in Toronto. My passport (originally issued in Delhi) is due to expire end of this year, so I have started my passport renewal process.

I'm going to be updating how the process goes here and how long it takes, along with any relevant details that might be helpful for someone else in the future.

If someone has already gone through this in the past, can you please shed light on how long the processing takes? Some other threads here said that if I had done a PCC from BLS before, it takes shorter time to renew the passport. Is that true? In my case I have done PCC back in 2016.

Current Details:

Old Passport Pages : 36
Old Passport Issue location: Delhi
Expiry : End of Dec 2018
Tracking Page Used: https://www.blsindia-canada.com/trackapp.php

Updates:
2018-05-05 : Submitted Passport Renewal Application to BLS India in Toronto at the Lawrence Ave location.
2018-05-09 : Status changed from 'Application Received, in transit to Consulate General' to 'Processing at Consulate General'.
Hi Buddy,

Do you know when is the latest when we can apply for passport renewal. Mine is expiring in June 2020, what is the latest when I can apply for renewal?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
As late as you want to risk it :)

Assuming you have another ID (like PR card or DL), you only need valid passport for any international travel. If there is no need to travel, you can let your passport expire and 'renew' it when you need it. Many folks only make passports when they have to travel internationally. But that is probably not the best approach, especially since banking institutions, custom checks and rental car companies are frequently known to ask for passports as a required/extra ID proof to non-citizens, so read on..

A more sane advice would be to renew your passport based on your upcoming international travel plans. Also keep emergency travel considerations in mind (for ex. if you have a relative back in origin country in poor health). Given passport renewal can take about a month, there is going to be a month window when you will not be able to travel, so plan accordingly based on below :

You can only apply for renewal as early as a year before expiry.
Most countries excluding Canada would let you travel uptill 6 months before your expiry
Canada and few other countries will let you travel uptill 3 months before your expiry
A month before expiry is your absolutely last window to ensure you have a valid passport at any given point of time.

Things happen, process can go slower, so consider above as really borderline cases and try to keep some buffer when possible..

Reactions: vinayk

Gurnihal

Jul 26, 2019
As late as you want to risk it :)

Assuming you have another ID (like PR card or DL), you only need valid passport for any international travel. If there is no need to travel, you can let your passport expire and 'renew' it when you need it. Many folks only make passports when they have to travel internationally. But that is probably not the best approach, especially since banking institutions, custom checks and rental car companies are frequently known to ask for passports as a required/extra ID proof to non-citizens, so read on..

A more sane advice would be to renew your passport based on your upcoming international travel plans. Also keep emergency travel considerations in mind (for ex. if you have a relative back in origin country in poor health). Given passport renewal can take about a month, there is going to be a month window when you will not be able to travel, so plan accordingly based on below :

You can only apply for renewal as early as a year before expiry.
Most countries excluding Canada would let you travel uptill 6 months before your expiry
Canada and few other countries will let you travel uptill 3 months before your expiry
A month before expiry is your absolutely last window to ensure you have a valid passport at any given point of time.

Things happen, process can go slower, so consider above as really borderline cases and try to keep some buffer when possible..
Thanks

goyalneha60

Star Member
Aug 12, 2018
Hi all
I have got recently COPR and will be landing in Canada in Oct. My passport is expiring on Mar 2020. I just wanted to understand should I renew my passport in India or cand

goyalneha60

Star Member
Aug 12, 2018
Hi all
I have got recently COPR and will be landing in Canadain Oct. My passport is expiring on Mar 2020. I just wanted to understand should I renew my passport in India or Canada. The problem is Indian address on my existing passport is no longer valid. Infact all my Indian id proofs have same address. How do I get this sorted in one month. Any suggestions ?