+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian Passport Renewal from BLS Toronto

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hi all
I have got recently COPR and will be landing in Canadain Oct. My passport is expiring on Mar 2020. I just wanted to understand should I renew my passport in India or Canada. The problem is Indian address on my existing passport is no longer valid. Infact all my Indian id proofs have same address. How do I get this sorted in one month. Any suggestions ?
Indian address will not be checked for validity so that should not prevent you from applying once in Canada

goyalneha60

Star Member
Aug 12, 2018
Thank you so much for reply. But I also noticed that in some countries it's required that passport shouldn't b expiring in next 6 months when you enter. In my case, it will expire within 4 months of entering canada. I think it's a big problem if Canada also has this rule. Does anyone have any idea ? Thanks

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Thank you so much for reply. But I also noticed that in some countries it's required that passport shouldn't b expiring in next 6 months when you enter. In my case, it will expire within 4 months of entering canada. I think it's a big problem if Canada also has this rule. Does anyone have any idea ? Thanks
Please read reply #71 for answer to your question

JanP

Sep 29, 2016
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-02-2017
Passport Req..
02-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
16-05-2017
LANDED..........
21-05-2017
Looked through this thread but still a bit unclear. For the documents that they need originals of such as the PR card etc., do they keep this with them during the whole processing time? Or if you go in person to BLS do they simply verify these against the copies?

alexross

Jan 11, 2018
Looked through this thread but still a bit unclear. For the documents that they need originals of such as the PR card etc., do they keep this with them during the whole processing time? Or if you go in person to BLS do they simply verify these against the copies?
Unfortunately, they keep the original pr card and return it with the new passport, even if you submit in person

JanP

Sep 29, 2016
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-02-2017
Passport Req..
02-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
16-05-2017
LANDED..........
21-05-2017
Oh interesting. Guess I will not be providing my license then as proof of address and will do a utility bill instead since I do not need that on hand. Don't like the idea of having my PR card + COPR (given the PR card doesn't have the category on it and so they require that as well) with them for 4-6 weeks but guessing there's no other option really other than going to the consulate and paying a lot more to get quicker processing.

alexross

Jan 11, 2018
Oh interesting. Guess I will not be providing my license then as proof of address and will do a utility bill instead since I do not need that on hand. Don't like the idea of having my PR card + COPR (given the PR card doesn't have the category on it and so they require that as well) with them for 4-6 weeks but guessing there's no other option really other than going to the consulate and paying a lot more to get quicker processing.
They keep only the PR card, not driver license or CoPR

Reactions: JanP

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Ignore what others said, they recently changed their process and now they don't hold any original (other than passport ofcourse)

alexross

Jan 11, 2018
Look at reply #67, as of June 2019 there is a change in their process and bls no longer retains original documents
That is very much a possibility. My information is based on my daughter's passport renewal which we did in March 2019. If any change in process after that, I do not know about it.

Anmol Arora

Sep 3, 2017
Hi all
I am PGWP and want to renew my Indian passport.
Someone told me that I should mention Canadian address in online application as printable address on passport.
Will it be a good option and do not cause any problem I future?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hi all
I am PGWP and want to renew my Indian passport.
Someone told me that I should mention Canadian address in online application as printable address on passport.
Will it be a good option and do not cause any problem I future?
You can mention either address I believe. Put an address that will make most sense for next 10 years +as address proof)

Aug 6, 2018
Hi All - my experience at BLS Toronto St Lawrence:

I am an Indian with Canada PR, stay in Toronto, and my passport expires in March 2020. I did a physical submission of my photocopies without any appointment; on a Saturday. It gets crowded on a Saturday but there is a token system so you can wait patiently and ensure that you enter the office and get your token before 2pm - they lock the door after that. I also added my wife's name to my new passport and for that I took the original and photocopy of marriage certificate and her passport. BLS office takes photocopies if you do not have them with you and also takes your passport specific photograph AND there are lots of shops around BLS office to get things done. BLS does not keep any originals apart from old passport.

TIMELINE:
09 Nov 2019
(Saturday) - Passport submission at BLS
  • - 1:00pm - Visited BLS, took Token number and waited for 2 hours approx. Staff is friendly, curt and informative.
  • - 1:30pm - Got my photographs taken for the application after taking the token - the photo studio is in the same building as the BLS office. I have heard that BLS takes photos themselves (SOMEONE CONFIRM THIS please)
  • - 3:00pm - When my token number was called, the BLS employee verified all my photocopies against the originals, took the payment (Cash or Debit card only) and DONE!
  • Submitted photocopies of Passport application form (downloaded from Indian passport seva site and filled up), Annexure E form, BLS checklist (downloaded online from their site), old Passport (front and back), PR card (legal status in Canada), COPR (landing paper), Marriage certificate (was adding wife's name on my passport), wife's passport (front and back), House lease agreement (Canada address proof).
  • - 3:30pm - Indian restaurant "Pariwar" near BLS office ;)
18 Nov 2019 - Status on the BLS website (https://www.blsindia-canada.com/trackapp.php) says "Processing at Consulate General"

Hope I get my new passport soon.

Feb 6, 2018
Hello All, BLS website says that the processing time for passports issued in India will take 2 months, is that right? I am planning to renew my passport through BLS brampton and my passport was issued in India and I am currently on work permit in Canada. how long does it take to get the passport renewed?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hello All, BLS website says that the processing time for passports issued in India will take 2 months, is that right? I am planning to renew my passport through BLS brampton and my passport was issued in India and I am currently on work permit in Canada. how long does it take to get the passport renewed?
Yes website is quite accurate in info