+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied status! Need an answer urgently

May 9, 2014
Hi everyone,I spent over 2 hours going through topics to ask my question so if anyone can help me I'll be very grateful :)
My work permit expires on May 11th 2014 and I applied for my PR on April 9th and got my AOR on May 7th and I immediately applied for a BOWP on May 8th so my lawyer says that I should get in in about 2 months but my big question is this: I will probably lose my job soon and as of Monday I will be on implied status so CAN I WORK for another employer while I wait for my BOWP and how can I prove them that I can legally work with my expired SIN number and expired work permit??
My previous work permit was an open one so according to implied status I have the same rights but I'm scared cause I won't have a job soon and just wondering if anyone ever applied for a new job while on implied status and how do employers react to that? ::)
If anyone can help me I would be very grateful,thank youu

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
It would be hard to impossible to find a new job on implied status without proper WP document, especially that CIC does not provide any documents which confirms implied status. Did you applied for BOWP on line or by paper. Current processing time for BOWP is 19 days (on-line application), 44 days (off-line new employer), 55 days (off-line same employer). You may get your BOWP much sooner than 2 months.

Matt the Aussie

Mar 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-07-2013
Med's Request
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
18-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2014
LANDED..........
11-04-2014
If you lose your current job, you will likely not be able to work again until you update your SIN, which can only be done once you receive the BOWP.

Boyzone

Star Member
Sep 23, 2013
Emily_Prentiss said:
Hi everyone,I spent over 2 hours going through topics to ask my question so if anyone can help me I'll be very grateful :)
My work permit expires on May 11th 2014 and I applied for my PR on April 9th and got my AOR on May 7th and I immediately applied for a BOWP on May 8th so my lawyer says that I should get in in about 2 months but my big question is this: I will probably lose my job soon and as of Monday I will be on implied status so CAN I WORK for another employer while I wait for my BOWP and how can I prove them that I can legally work with my expired SIN number and expired work permit??
My previous work permit was an open one so according to implied status I have the same rights but I'm scared cause I won't have a job soon and just wondering if anyone ever applied for a new job while on implied status and how do employers react to that? ::)
If you have applied for BOWP before the expiry of current work permit and if you are on implied status, I do not think there is any reason that you should loose your current job. Cause as per implied status you can keep working in the same job as long as the decision is made on your BOWP. Which also means no need to worry about SIN. Hope, that makes sense.

MenicMonday

Feb 25, 2014
^I think he is losing his job AND having his WP expire at almost the same time, hence he is asking if he can look for another job while on implied status.

Digital_Tofu

Star Member
Apr 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Emily_Prentiss said:
I'm actually in a pretty similar situation right now. My file was submitted on the 28th of March, and my current visa expires on the 28th of May. I'm stressing out big time! I submitted my application via mail, not online. Everything takes so damn long with every step of the way. I'm hoping my current employer will keep me on long enough until this pesky open BOWP gets approved. 55 days for approval seems rather long to me. Are most people getting them BEFORE the estimated processing time, or pretty much on time?

Matt the Aussie

Mar 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-07-2013
Med's Request
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
18-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2014
LANDED..........
11-04-2014
Digital_Tofu said:
I'm actually in a pretty similar situation right now. My file was submitted on the 28th of March, and my current visa expires on the 28th of May. I'm stressing out big time! I submitted my application via mail, not online. Everything takes so damn long with every step of the way. I'm hoping my current employer will keep me on long enough until this pesky open BOWP gets approved. 55 days for approval seems rather long to me. Are most people getting them BEFORE the estimated processing time, or pretty much on time?
Mine was maybe a week or two earlier than what the timeline for a mailed BOWP said.

May 9, 2014
Boyzone said:
If you have applied for BOWP before the expiry of current work permit and if you are on implied status, I do not think there is any reason that you should loose your current job. Cause as per implied status you can keep working in the same job as long as the decision is made on your BOWP. Which also means no need to worry about SIN. Hope, that makes sense.

It's not that I will lose the job cause my permit expires it's cause I haven't reached my quota and honestly I don't wanna work there anymore, I just can't ,so stressful :eek:

I wanna thank everyone for your replays,you helped a lot
And I did apply online,not paper.....so 19 days?! That's seems pretty quick!

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
Emily_Prentiss said:
It's not that I will lose the job cause my permit expires it's cause I haven't reached my quota and honestly I don't wanna work there anymore, I just can't ,so stressful :eek:

I wanna thank everyone for your replays,you helped a lot
And I did apply online,not paper.....so 19 days?! That's seems pretty quick!
Application processing times table has been updated today. Now it's 13 days for online application

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Emily_Prentiss said:
Emily_Prentiss AKA Lauren,

As you know, under implied status, the rules of the previous work permit continue to apply until you get the new work permit. But you're right, many employers don't understand that very well, and even if you show it to them in writing, they may not be convinced.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=189&t=17

So, you can show them this webpage, but then you'll also have to explain the difference between the closed and the open work permit. You can show them copies of the application for the new work permit and dated receipts (hopefully you have a delivery confirmation or can get that from your lawyer), you even have a lawyer that can confirm that you are eligible to work - It doesn't get any better than that. The SIN isn't a big deal, it will be the same number, and they just put that in retroactively when you get the rewewal.

But unless the employer has a lot of experience with foreign workers, they may not be comfortable. Good luck!

May 9, 2014
MenicMonday said:
@ Emily Prentiss:

- Why don't you go back to the BAU in Quantico (if you know what I mean)?
Hahahaha that's funny....I'm little late with a response lol
I got the whole implied status sorted out,I'm so grateful for this forum,thanks everyone :))

Reactions: segpresto