+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS | 20th Jan 2018 | General Training | Answer Key

iamhammad

Oct 14, 2017
So we still have people waiting for results from 6th Jan. Was browsing through the forums and came across this thread. Gives a fair bit of idea as to what extent people go to try to deceive the system. If you try to apply memorized answers to your listening test, I’m sure they can find out. The results get flagged and everyone has to suffer the delays which mostly includes genuine test takers like us who work hard for a good score.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/10-feb-2018-ielts-exam-discussion.542847/page-3

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
So we still have people waiting for results from 6th Jan. Was browsing through the forums and came across this thread. Gives a fair bit of idea as to what extent people go to try to deceive the system. If you try to apply memorized answers to your listening test, I’m sure they can find out. The results get flagged and everyone has to suffer the delays which mostly includes genuine test takers like us who work hard for a good score.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/10-feb-2018-ielts-exam-discussion.542847/page-3
what shocks me is the majority of scores on this forum - clearly, not comfortable with the language, but quite comfortable blaming the IELTS system incessantly for all its faults.

Chal koi na

Feb 9, 2018
V
What bothers me is when someone questions the integrity of the markers (even before the new deadline). I think that's the projection of their confidence/self-esteem. They knew they were not going to get the bands they need, hence they can't wait for closure. Funny how nobody forces them to take the test, and the majority of us are economic migrants, so we are not in any way coerced to take the test. Unlike people who are fleeing persecution, for example.

People who want to go to legal routes (I don't believe there is a case) clearly have no business passing their high school civic classes as legal routes go at least 1 year. Again, the reasoning for that is the same as this delay, that the court will want to hear all evidence from all parties involved. Clearly when given the choice of waiting 1 more week over 1 more year, most will take 1 week.

Again, bringing this up got my posts deleted, but questioning markers' integrity (and mine too) seems fine.
Very easy for you to say all this. On 2md Feb the company replied same about 9th Feb. What will be so different about 16th Feb. You are trying to make it look like one week thing but in reality it's already two weeks delay and company is still not sure that the result will be declared on 16 or 19. We will simply be told to wait for a week again.
We are getting late on our applications, their is no other reason why we are impatient.

Tech_girl123

Jan 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
30-DEC-2017
The problem is third party marking can take up some time. If you were the one flagged, you would want to have one more day to have them look at your sheet to be sure.

I don't see the problem, you had an update on the 9th that said you would get your results by the 19th.
Practically, you are correct but please take into consideration this forum is for discussion.
Hence, everyone is sharing their thoughts since each of us have a different reason to give the exam ( Each reason having its own importance).
While you may be right to say the system is not to be blamed, but for someone who has not cheated and has put all the hard work into the exam, this is a difficult situation.

Either way, we have no choice and we will have to wait till 19th to get an update and discuss further. Meanwhile, it would be nice if we do not spread any negativity in this forum and not try to pull anyone down.

Reactions: Gurpreetgp09

Tech_girl123

Jan 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
30-DEC-2017
Well I did not, you guys did. We were all happy to receive the test, you were the ones who made legal threats and questioned the integrity of the markers. If you just said "man, we were unlucky to be held back", I am with you. The moment you guys said "man they are dropping my marks off" or "we should consider legal courses" or "someone with low IELTS got better job." I can't take you too seriously.
If you looked a few posts behind, I was the one telling you guys to calm down, why? Because your lot were already thinking that far ahead.

Proof :

Negativity 1:

Ive also heard that they deliberately give lower scores in speaking or writing in India, where there is a scope of subjectivity, just to make students re appear to make money. Is it so?

Questioning marker's integrity without proof.

Negativity 2:

We received the same message... What the hell these guys are doing... left in the middle of this pathetic situation...
These people are playing with candidates' patience, money and time.

Playing implies an active role of wasting your time on IELTS' parts, again without proof.

Negativity 3:
They should release all results or nothing...it’s very frustrating to have someone with same day getting result and we are waiting like frog on lake...
What have we done wrong??
If you release then release for all and not after 13 day but take 21 and give it for all
Really this is the most unmanaged exam I have ever took where result dates are not given
And that also without specific reasons
How come scrutiny take months as they have to check writing and speaking..listening and reading are computer based ...to check one essay how can they take months??

Actually, they are managing your exams by delaying and giving you feedback of changes. Again, this is in the Terms and Conditions.

These were not posted by me. I empathise fully with most people who complaint and feel bad about the situation, I can't take posts that blame IELTS or question their intention too seriously.

This is a discussion board, meaning that everyone can jump in to the conversation, including my questioning your line of thinking.
Well, I for one, have not said any of the above statements. I follow this forum to get to know if anyone from India got the result.
When I do come here to check that out, I see people who have already got their results taking IELTS side and accusing other people who might be badly waiting for the score. I do understand your concern and I also think you do have a lot of time to do all of this!

I will take your leave... I will just watch out for this forum on 16th and 19th as I do not have so much time to argue with someone who just wouldn't agree to keep calm and stop being a bully! :)

Dips06

Dec 26, 2017
Well, I for one, have not said any of the above statements. I follow this forum to get to know if anyone from India got the result.
When I do come here to check that out, I see people who have already got their results taking IELTS side and accusing other people who might be badly waiting for the score. I do understand your concern and I also think you do have a lot of time to do all of this!

I will take your leave... I will just watch out for this forum on 16th and 19th as I do not have so much time to argue with someone who just wouldn't agree to keep calm and stop being a bully! :)
I really dont know what is the problem with this guy.... Instead of normal discussion, he uses harsh language, believes others to be under performers (though the result has not come yet) and his comprehension is so poor that even if you clarify him something, he will either get your post deleted or will nag on the same matter, probably even without reading what others say....what a sickness!! Probably he thinks that his knowledge of English (if at all he has as his understanding seems to be nil) and ielts score is everything he needs in his life..

Dips06

Dec 26, 2017
Why should we be the only one suffering. It's not our fault. The blame is on the company and they should be the one to suffer not us. I think we should spread this on Internet aggressively that new students should not apply through Idp. If we target one company they will lose business and stop punishing students like this.
Bit british council is also doing the same...

mohit2018

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
Guys,

Why are we losing our integrity when IELTS is maintaining theirs? :D:D

Whenever I was feeling anxious, reading to this forum have always helped me. A lot of people showcasing their positive attitude and thinking. Which helped me to keep calm and be patient. In my opinion, we cannot really do much about this delay caused, we can either expect them to deliver result at the earliest (which I am sure they would be trying their best), Or, we can go with some other exam (e.g.: CELPIP).

Either way, I don't see a point in arguing this way about it.

I read in another forum, such delay also indicates that you have some good score in at least one or more modules. So, let’s not pollute the ecosystem of this forum. Let’s be hopeful and positive again.

Again, all the very best everyone. :):)

Dips06

Dec 26, 2017
That exactly is the problem..they mention update on that date...if they talk about results then it’s okay even if they take a week more
At the max, they
I don't believe all of them are underperforming, I believe some are. All I want is for you to not question their integrity.

Never did I imply my English is all I need. My English is better than most people here, that's quite fair. I don't get why you brought up other aspects when I am just responding to your IELTS post.

You want the ability to talk without anyone disagreeing, that's part of my problem.

You know what? I actually agree that your posts or mine should not have been deleted. To me arguing and calling people out is NOT bullying. I was saying if my calling you gullible gets deleted so should your calling markers' integrity be deleted.
Again I would say, the reply to your this long post again lies in my reply to you for my first post.... Probably you havent read that coz if you had, you shouldnt have called me gullible....and anyway gullible is not a harsh word that your post will be deleted for that...I think there is no point replying someone who just wants to write or talk without listening...

aabeeroy

Feb 9, 2018
I am sure your English is much better than a lot of people here, that does not mean it makes you a better person. Just because some people have not received their scores does not make them guilty of cheating. Its easier for you to say all of this when your score is out and the others are not. Specially when they are not getting a satisfying answer.I think of the future course of action well in advance. I am certain the BC or IDP can hire more 3rd parties to check these papers and release these results on time after all they are earning more than 50 crores from 1 center in a city in a month. I joined this forum to have a rational discussion on what is happening and what all our options are. If I had known all of this is going to happen I would have loved to stay away, probably which I will be doing now.

Reactions: Dips06

Singh3602

Feb 12, 2018
hi everyone. I also took the exam on 20th jan 2018. I contacted the British council through email and this is what i got.

Thank you for contacting the British Council.

Following to your email, we would like to inform you that you must have received an email from us regarding the status of your result for the exam date 20/01/2018. If in case you have any further queries or you need more clarifications we request you to kindly revert back to the same email. They will get back to you with an update for the same.

Please note: You will receive an update on your result by 19/02/2018 by the end of the day. We will further establish communication with you regarding the result update.

Your patience will be highly appreciated.
For further information, please feel free to contact us. Kindly quote the reference number mentioned in the subject and do not change it, for all your future correspondence with us.

We request you to kindly take out few minutes and share your valuable feedback with us by visiting the link :https://britishcouncil.allegiancetech.de/cgi-bin/qwebcorporate.dll?idx=V29N6W

British Council brings you best of UK and India experience. See how you can enjoy our wide range of events and services by visiting us at www.britishcouncil.in

Regards,
Banasree Debbarma

Customer Service Executive, British Council
Phone: 0120-4569000 / 6684353, Monday to Saturday, 09:00 a.m. to 06:00 p.m.
Find your nearest British Council Office:http://www.britishcouncil.in/contact-us

Ukr52

Sep 29, 2013
But they did say you will receive results on the 19th did not they? Reverse the situation. If you were the one flagged, you would want me to take my time to consider the case.

From what I understand, you are saying that if a candidate has scored exceptionally well in one exam and has done really bad in the other it is likely that the candidate has cheated. For eg. If a candidate's score is, say, 8.5 in reading and listening and 5 in writing than he is suspected to cheat. But then the factor that the writing is a written exam and time constrained one should not be overlooked.
Some take a longer time to write down things than others, some may have bad handwriting, and some may take a longer time to think of ideas on the essay topic. Cheating can not always be the reason and most of the times it, indeed, isn't. And if there are so many candidates for whom IELTS believes the results should be withheld then I am sorry but the whole exam system seems to have a flaw that needs to be corrected rather than make the candidates suffer because the whole 50% of exam givers cannot be cheaters.

Ukr52

Sep 29, 2013
I did not say that. I said some who had 9 and a 4 in the other might have been flagged. But this is exactly my point! You don't immediately assume one is cheating because of the discrepancies. There is a huge difference between being flagged or being judged cheating. This is why one should take the time to carefully reassess the dodgy exams.
Yes absolutely. But then if you get these flags for so many candidates and most of the time due to reasons not related to their english ability, then don't you think the exam setting needs to be revisited?