+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I worked after graduation but before applying for PGWP, help!

venindian

Oct 15, 2016
@cappyoh Did you wrote an explaination letter? I made the same mistake and worried now. I am in Ontario and my transcript was issued on 03rd February, 2019 and I applied for my pgwp on 07th February, 2019 (I got 3 year pgwp in May 2019). However, I started working full time as a Software Developer on 21st January. I think I am in deep trouble. What are my options?

biggieidiot

Jan 18, 2020
Hi guys,

I graduated and got my final results from UBC (full time studies) in mid May, and got hired to work 2 part time jobs from that point. I worked around 3-4 shifts in total during the 2 weeks before I applied for PGWP after someone from UBC International House told me to apply immediately and to own up to working illegally. Apparently upon getting my final grades, my study permit no longer allows me to work before applying for PGWP? My study permit allowed me to work on and off campus during non-study time. I expect to get my results for the PGWP application in around 2-3 weeks at which point my 90-day period after graduation ends, so I'm really short on time if I get rejected. The person working at International House told me that being honest in my application was the best way forward, but that some people had gotten rejected for doing what I did. I'm aware that every application is subjective and upto the specific agent, but I was curious if some people have made the same mistakes I did, or know anything about this situation that they could share. For example, is it likely that such cases get rejected/approved?

Thanks in advance!
Did you get your Work Permit?

ros_freeman

May 22, 2018
Hi guys,

I graduated and got my final results from UBC (full time studies) in mid May, and got hired to work 2 part time jobs from that point. I worked around 3-4 shifts in total during the 2 weeks before I applied for PGWP after someone from UBC International House told me to apply immediately and to own up to working illegally. Apparently upon getting my final grades, my study permit no longer allows me to work before applying for PGWP? My study permit allowed me to work on and off campus during non-study time. I expect to get my results for the PGWP application in around 2-3 weeks at which point my 90-day period after graduation ends, so I'm really short on time if I get rejected. The person working at International House told me that being honest in my application was the best way forward, but that some people had gotten rejected for doing what I did. I'm aware that every application is subjective and upto the specific agent, but I was curious if some people have made the same mistakes I did, or know anything about this situation that they could share. For example, is it likely that such cases get rejected/approved?

Thanks in advance!
Once a student receives written confirmation of program completion from their institution, they are no longer authorized to continue to work in Canada, as they no longer meet the eligibility criteria in paragraph R186(v). They should apply to change their status (for instance, to visitor status) or leave Canada before their study permit becomes invalid as per section R222.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus

Gurpreet_1993

Feb 24, 2020
Hi, i worked after graduation and before applying for PGWP too, and i just got PPR this morning.

just write a letter of explanation (my case, i didnt know) and everything should be fine!
Good luck!

Hey... I have worked almost 2 months after graduation .. means I applied my Work permit two months after my graduation.. how should I mention this in my past 10 years employment history???

cappyoh

Star Member
May 23, 2019
Hey... I have worked almost 2 months after graduation .. means I applied my Work permit two months after my graduation.. how should I mention this in my past 10 years employment history???
Tell them the truth. Thats what i did and write a letter of explaination saying that you weren’t aware (i wasnt aware of this)

Gurpreet_1993

Feb 24, 2020
This is very confusing .. I do not know what to do... I'll see.. thanks anyways ... one more question . Did you apply all by yourself or through Consultant ???

cappyoh

Star Member
May 23, 2019
Hey mate

Could I kindly ask if you encountered any issue related to that short period of unauthorised work after declaring it and explaining it in your PR application?

Your experience is valuable as I am helping a good friend who has worked two unauthorised shifts (7.5 hours in total) before realising it and stopping doing it.
Hi, no problem at all. I got my pr

Reactions: baltzly

Anosh777

Mar 29, 2020
I have seen students deported due to working before applying PGWP and after getting final transcripts. During this period they can't work
If someone worked just for two weeks full time after graduation on a valid study permit without applying for PGWP. It’s not a big problem right? Also what if the pay check was received after applying for work permit.?

Game94

Apr 24, 2020
Hi,
I just completed my studies and am waiting to get my transcripts and completion letter. In the meantime we are allowed to work 20 hours a week right? But recently due to COVID-19 Canadian government has allowed students to work more than 20 hours if they are working in the essentials. Is it also applicable for students who have just recently graduated.?

Here's the link - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/04/removing-barriers-for-international-students-working-in-essential-services-to-fight-covid-19.html

Shad@77

Apr 28, 2020
Hi parwinder
I wanted to ask that i am getting final grades on 30 april and i am getting my completion letter on 15 may and can i work in this gap.
As i know i cannot work after completion letter unless i apply for work permit.