+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I Obtained 1 year work permit instead of 3 years

mohitsapra

Mar 2, 2023
Today morning I got through the phone line. I called exactly as the clock struck 8 AM, and was immediately through, and had to wait for only about 10 minutes. Soon after, the agent verified all personal details, took my WP application number and I explained that I am eligible for 3 year PGWP instead of 1 Year. He said he will check and put me on hold for another 7 minutes. After that he said they have received my webforms and additional documents and said that he has asked the VO to reconsider my application/case. I asked how long it will take and there was no committment on time. Also he said that no email etc will be sent as a result of the phone call and simply asked me to wait for a change in decision if there is a change. Dont know what more I can do at this stage.
Did you get any update

DevSB

Mar 27, 2021
@WPTO - I am exactly in the same situation. Today, on March 28th I also received a 1 year PGWP for a Full time Masters program of 16 months , over 4 consecutive terms, full time and no scheduled breaks (in short, ticking all the boxes for a 3 year PGWP). I also have ppt validity until 2028. No red flags such as unauthorized work etc. (Applied for PGWP on Jan 14th 2023).

I trying calling the IRCC number between 12:00 PM and 4:00 PM on March 28th, but after trying at least 20-30 times, I still could not connect.
I raised a webform and submitted all the neccessary docs such as Letter of Completion, Official Transcript, Completed Degree certificate and even wrote a letter of explanation. Within 4-5 hours , I received a mail from "CE CSC Do Not Reply" saying the documents have been added to the file.

I know calling and asking the agent to flag my application for reconsideration is the way, but Is there anything more that can be done ?

Thank you all for sharing your stories and hopefully we can emerge from this sad situation happily.
What does the letter of completion provided by your university say regarding the length of your programme?

Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
Did you get any update
No update. But I followed up with another set of webforms/call on April 13th, after the initial decision on March 28th and this time the agent said it will take 60 days for a decision. This was before the IRCC strike, so I dont have any hope that a decision will be made. I will wait until May end, and if no update on my file, I will submit a new application with a letter of explanation asking for 3 years PGWP.

Aman Gusain

Jun 17, 2023
Today morning I got through the phone line. I called exactly as the clock struck 8 AM, and was immediately through, and had to wait for only about 10 minutes. Soon after, the agent verified all personal details, took my WP application number and I explained that I am eligible for 3 year PGWP instead of 1 Year. He said he will check and put me on hold for another 7 minutes. After that he said they have received my webforms and additional documents and said that he has asked the VO to reconsider my application/case. I asked how long it will take and there was no committment on time. Also he said that no email etc will be sent as a result of the phone call and simply asked me to wait for a change in decision if there is a change. Dont know what more I can do at this stage.
Hi guys! I am facing the same issue. Could you please guide me on what have you selected in the type of application/enquiry in the webform?

Aman Gusain

Jun 17, 2023
When did you apply? When did you receive your PGWP? How long was your course?
I got my PGWP today for 1 year
I have finished 2 courses-
1st from Seneca- business analytics (Sept 2021- April 2022)
4 months gap
2nd from york- business administration (Sept 2022- April 2023)

Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
Hi guys! I am facing the same issue. Could you please guide me on what have you selected in the type of application/enquiry in the webform?
If I remember, the webform category is "change the conditions of an existing permit" or something like that. But it doesnt matter, make sure you write a nice letter of explanation and attach all your supporting documents to the webform.

Reactions: monikam
Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
Some great news - My 3 Year PGWP got approved today !! Finally, phew !!

My Timeline

14-Jan-2023 : Applied for PGWP (after completing 16 months Master's course)
28-Mar-2023 : 1 Year PGWP Approved, I was shocked !!
29-Mar-2023 : 1st Call with IRCC Agent and Webform raised with letter of explanation asking for 3 Year PGWP. Reconsideration flag raised.
11-Apr-2023 : 2nd Call with IRCC Agent, and he also said that reconsideration flag has been raised and to wait for 2 months at least. Webform raised.
05-May-2023 : 3rd Webform raised (most of the content is now being repeated). Got a reply from IRCC stating that docs are received and not to re-raise.
29-May-2023 : ATIP Request raised to figure out what happened
23-Jun-2032 : 3 year PGWP Approved on IRCC GCKey (waiting to receive physical WP at my address now)

For those in similar situation, follow up couple of times if you have a strong case to get a 3 Year permit instead of 1 year. All the best.

Reactions: monikam and BA101

Nemish71

Jul 28, 2023
Hello Guys,

I have done 1+1 and I have got my work permit for 1 year instead of 3. During my work permit application, I forgot to add the transcript and letter of completion of my 1st course. So, the very next of my application I submitted a web form with an explanation and missing documents and called IRCC to explain the situation. The agent confirmed that they will consider my webform and after 2 months I got my work permit for 1 year only.

After that, I called IRCC again to explain my situation and sent all the important/missing documents to Ottawa using the IMM1436e form. I am sure that it will take 7 weeks but what are my chances of getting an extended work permit?

Total courses: 2
Work Permit Applied: 12 May
Webform submitted: 14 May (IRCC received on 23rd May)
Work Permit approval for 1 year: July 25
IMM1436 form sent to Ottawa: July 30

Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
Hello Guys,

I have done 1+1 and I have got my work permit for 1 year instead of 3. During my work permit application, I forgot to add the transcript and letter of completion of my 1st course. So, the very next of my application I submitted a web form with an explanation and missing documents and called IRCC to explain the situation. The agent confirmed that they will consider my webform and after 2 months I got my work permit for 1 year only.

After that, I called IRCC again to explain my situation and sent all the important/missing documents to Ottawa using the IMM1436e form. I am sure that it will take 7 weeks but what are my chances of getting an extended work permit?

Total courses: 2
Work Permit Applied: 12 May
Webform submitted: 14 May (IRCC received on 23rd May)
Work Permit approval for 1 year: July 25
IMM1436 form sent to Ottawa: July 30
If you have a total of 16 months full time study across the two courses, you are eligible for the 3 year WP. You could also additionally write a letter of explanation and submit it as an additional webform , assuming you did not earlier and submit that as well. Remember to explain the courses, and history of documents you provided and ASK for a 3 year permit. In my LOE I literally requested for the 3 year permit stating that I am eligble for it.