+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I Obtained 1 year work permit instead of 3 years

WPTO

Jan 23, 2023
i received an email saying "we have forwarded your request for reconsideration to responsible office", now what next? any idea how long it will take to hear from them? How will i know if the officer accepted or rejected my request?

niksjnnt

Jan 19, 2023
I called IRCC,

They told me that my application may have confused the person who processed it. He thinks the person who processed my application thought that the 2 graduate certificates which are of 4 semesters in total do not account for 2 years that's why they gave me 1 year work permit. The IRCC guy I spoke to told me that I need to get a letter from Seneca college stating that the two programs I did are accountable for 2 year in length altogether and I should apply for a reconsideration on their website again.
Brother can you tell me how did you contact ircc?

Puc_6510

Feb 9, 2023
Bro I got only 2 years and I’m eligible for 3 years…I want to contact you because I couldn’t connect with IRCc please help.-

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have same issue…i got only 2 years permit can anyone help me please
You can ask for reconsideration through webmail. Did you go to the border where CBSA officers will follow the IRCC rules on the length of program=length of permit?

Last edited:

WPTO

Jan 23, 2023
Bro I got only 2 years and I’m eligible for 3 years…I want to contact you because I couldn’t connect with IRCc please help.-
Hey, don't worry. You first need to file a webform with a reason to convince the visa officer why you deserve 3 years and attach your program graduation letter with a job offer if you have any. Then you can call IRCC on 1-888-242-2100. Request the agent to flag your file for reconsideration. Give it a couple of weeks, you should receive an email saying they have forwarded your request to responsible office. If not, you can file IMM 1436. just google it. Download the form and fill it, attach necessary documents and send it to Ottawa. I know it is very very stressful but you just have to give it time and trust the process. If they have made any mistake then they will definitely change it. Be humble and clear when you give them reason for reconsideration request.

JASKARANDHS

Dec 12, 2020
Mississauga
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi guys,

I did a 2 year program which qualifies me to obtain a 3 year work permit, however I received a 1 year work permit. All of my friends I studied the same program with, got a 3 year work permit except myself. My passport validity is untill 2026. I submitted every doc's they needed and besides I didn't do any unauthorized work or anything.

What do u think I should do?
It's difficult to determine the exact reason for why you received a 1-year work permit while your peers received a 3-year work permit. There could be a number of factors that played a role in the decision, such as your individual circumstances, the information you provided in your application, or simply a discrepancy in processing times.

It is possible that there may have been some confusion or errors made during the processing of your application, which resulted in a shorter work permit. If you feel that this decision was unjustified, you can consider submitting a request for reconsideration or an application for a judicial review.

vish_s

Feb 10, 2023
Hello everyone,

I have received PGWP for one year for two graduate certificate courses. Below are the details.

First Course: Business Analytics, Seneca College, JAN 2021 To AUG 2021

I took a study break after my first course i.e., from AUG 2021 To DEC 2021.

Second Course: Project Management, Humber College, JAN 2021 To AUG 2022

I applied in SEP 2022 and received PGWP in FEB 2023. Except graduation certificate from my second college (instead, submitted confirmation of graduation), I submitted all other documents with a letter of explanation. My passport has validity until 2029.

I talked to a lawyer and he suggested either re-consideration or reapplying the application. Is it advisable to seek service from a lawyer or do it on our own? How many days do we have time to apply for reconsideration? Is this calculated from the day of graduation? Can I work when giving it for reconsideration?

Please share your valuable suggestions for this issue.

Thank you

mohitsapra

Mar 2, 2023
I am in the same situation and too stressed I did two courses of one-year duration but I got only a 1-year work permit instead of 3 today I called to ircc but it took more than 1and half hour to reach them and then i told them about my problem and agent told me that he has sent msg to processing team and you have to wait when I asked for waiting time he told it can be 60days I have uploaded both my completion letters and transcripts i will update here if i get any update from them about my wp

mohitsapra

Mar 2, 2023
Hello everyone,

I have received PGWP for one year for two graduate certificate courses. Below are the details.

First Course: Business Analytics, Seneca College, JAN 2021 To AUG 2021

I took a study break after my first course i.e., from AUG 2021 To DEC 2021.

Second Course: Project Management, Humber College, JAN 2021 To AUG 2022

I applied in SEP 2022 and received PGWP in FEB 2023. Except graduation certificate from my second college (instead, submitted confirmation of graduation), I submitted all other documents with a letter of explanation. My passport has validity until 2029.

I talked to a lawyer and he suggested either re-consideration or reapplying the application. Is it advisable to seek service from a lawyer or do it on our own? How many days do we have time to apply for reconsideration? Is this calculated from the day of graduation? Can I work when giving it for reconsideration?

Please share your valuable suggestions for this issue.

Thank you
hii did you get your 3 year wp?

mohitsapra

Mar 2, 2023
Hey, don't worry. You first need to file a webform with a reason to convince the visa officer why you deserve 3 years and attach your program graduation letter with a job offer if you have any. Then you can call IRCC on 1-888-242-2100. Request the agent to flag your file for reconsideration. Give it a couple of weeks, you should receive an email saying they have forwarded your request to responsible office. If not, you can file IMM 1436. just google it. Download the form and fill it, attach necessary documents and send it to Ottawa. I know it is very very stressful but you just have to give it time and trust the process. If they have made any mistake then they will definitely change it. Be humble and clear when you give them reason for reconsideration request.
hi dod you get your new 3 year wp?

sameer111

Mar 11, 2023
Reach out the IRCC by the phone. Call them and explain your situation to officer. I know it is long wait on the phone but eventually someone will pick up your phone. And also fill up the IRCC web form about your PGWP attach documents- both courses transcript, graduation letters and plus the ircc letter your received now. Calling is the best advice! Call them and talk to them politely. The same thing happened to me. Don’t re apply until you hear from them.
hey would they reconsider if only one graduation letter was uploaded? Both transcripts were uploaded for sure. Reapplication can help?

Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
@WPTO - I am exactly in the same situation. Today, on March 28th I also received a 1 year PGWP for a Full time Masters program of 16 months , over 4 consecutive terms, full time and no scheduled breaks (in short, ticking all the boxes for a 3 year PGWP). I also have ppt validity until 2028. No red flags such as unauthorized work etc. (Applied for PGWP on Jan 14th 2023).

I trying calling the IRCC number between 12:00 PM and 4:00 PM on March 28th, but after trying at least 20-30 times, I still could not connect.
I raised a webform and submitted all the neccessary docs such as Letter of Completion, Official Transcript, Completed Degree certificate and even wrote a letter of explanation. Within 4-5 hours , I received a mail from "CE CSC Do Not Reply" saying the documents have been added to the file.

I know calling and asking the agent to flag my application for reconsideration is the way, but Is there anything more that can be done ?

Thank you all for sharing your stories and hopefully we can emerge from this sad situation happily.

Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
Today morning I got through the phone line. I called exactly as the clock struck 8 AM, and was immediately through, and had to wait for only about 10 minutes. Soon after, the agent verified all personal details, took my WP application number and I explained that I am eligible for 3 year PGWP instead of 1 Year. He said he will check and put me on hold for another 7 minutes. After that he said they have received my webforms and additional documents and said that he has asked the VO to reconsider my application/case. I asked how long it will take and there was no committment on time. Also he said that no email etc will be sent as a result of the phone call and simply asked me to wait for a change in decision if there is a change. Dont know what more I can do at this stage.