+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I Obtained 1 year work permit instead of 3 years

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Good stuff. I will be in your situation in a year. Any advice to get it right first time?
Include a letter that explains that you did 2 programs of total 2 years and are applying for a 3 year permit. Include OFFICIAL letters of completion & OFFICIAL transcripts for both programs.

Reactions: Miracle2018

Joseph2222

Nov 5, 2017
Good stuff. I will be in your situation in a year. Any advice to get it right first time?
Just make sure u submit all documents they want. In my case I submitted all documents but still they made a mistake. So they didn't have the reason to reject my application but had to rectify the situation because I submitted all documents that they needed.

Purvajask

Apr 28, 2020
Hello,

Please help me, I have few doubts regarding my current work permit status. I also studied 2 post-graduate programs of 1 year each in Seneca college and graduated in may 2019. However, when I applied for my work permit, I forgot to attached 1 of the 2 graduation letter and submitted my application, and received work permit for only 1 year in september 2019 valid till september 2020. I then applied through an agent in Jan 2020(after 180 days of receiving my final marks) and also attached explanation letter stating my case, but CIC refused to extend the additional two years stating that I applied for PGWP after 180 days.
Hence, the current work permit which I have is expiring in september 2020. What should I do in this situation?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Hello,

Please help me, I have few doubts regarding my current work permit status. I also studied 2 post-graduate programs of 1 year each in Seneca college and graduated in may 2019. However, when I applied for my work permit, I forgot to attached 1 of the 2 graduation letter and submitted my application, and received work permit for only 1 year in september 2019 valid till september 2020. I then applied through an agent in Jan 2020(after 180 days of receiving my final marks) and also attached explanation letter stating my case, but CIC refused to extend the additional two years stating that I applied for PGWP after 180 days.
Hence, the current work permit which I have is expiring in september 2020. What should I do in this situation?
Unfortunately, I think you will have to suffice with 1 Year PGWP as they are right that you need to be on Study Permit or Visitor Permit to apply for PGWP. Since 180 are past you cannot anymore and you are only allowed to apply for PGWP only once in your lifetime.

Reactions: rijol verma

Kassa1988

Apr 6, 2020
Hi, please explain studying 2 post graduate diplomas is enough to obtain 3 years work permit? Or do I have to do a 2 year MBA?

Kassa1988

Apr 6, 2020
Thank you very much. I went through it. Please see my understanding below. (Please correct me if I am wrong)
* 1 year program (deploma) gives you a 1 year work permit
* 2 year programme (deploma) or programmes (2 programmes - one year each) gives you a 3 year work permit
* 2 year MBA gives you a 3 year work permit
Also advice me, What would be the best idea on PR points perspective? Doing a 2 year MBA or 2 deplomas (1 year duration in each program)

Dhruvh049

Mar 23, 2018
Good Morning Friend, I have the same issue. I studied for 2 Years (One Program) and got 2 years of work permit only. Can you guide me through the process.
How did you contacted IRCC and which extension did you use?
What did you tell them ?
It will really help me.
Thank you.

saqlien

Dec 16, 2020
Hello. I have finished 2 years diploma and got 2 years work permit instead of 3 . Can anyone please tell me what can be the reason behind that?
Thanks in advance.

Mohitsingh123

Jan 14, 2021
Hey joseph can you help me i have a same issue now. I called IRCC they ask me to go through web form. I just wanna know what did you mentioned in your web form ?? Pls reply as soon as you can

Reactions: Joseph2222

Joseph2222

Nov 5, 2017
Hey joseph can you help me i have a same issue now. I called IRCC they ask me to go through web form. I just wanna know what did you mentioned in your web form ?? Pls reply as soon as you can
Hi, I didn't use webform but I called IRCC immediately and I told them I submitted all documents such as 2 graduation letters, transcripts, from the 2 programs that I completed at Seneca but ended up getting 1 year instead of 3. The agent asked me for my UCI number and went thru my files and told me that the visa officer might have made a mistake. She then said that she will forward my file for reconsideration and I need to wait for 1 month for reconsideration. After 1 month I received a notification on my email from IRCC and found that my work permit has been revised to 3 years.

You can use webform but I think u may need to reattach the files such as graduation letters, transcripts again and your UCI number

Last edited: