+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Get Canadian Driving License -for Newcomers

GREAKLY

Aug 14, 2011
lenijames said:
Leon said:
The exact requirements depend on the province but normally you need a translation of your license as well as possibly a drivers abstract. If you can prove that you have a valid drivers license, you will usually be allowed to take the basic road test right away to get a probationary license instead of waiting on learners for a year. If you can prove that you have more than 2 years driving experience, you can be allowed to take the advanced road test right away in order to get your full license.
Is my understanding correct, that there is a significant difference on this issue between AB and BC? I mean, in BC it seems that if I prove two years of foreign driving experience I will be able to take the driving test right away:

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Moving-from-another-country.aspx

while in AB they will be reviewing my papers for a few weeks:

https://www.servicealberta.ca/1671.cfm

Is that correct?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GREAKLY said:
Is my understanding correct, that there is a significant difference on this issue between AB and BC? I mean, in BC it seems that if I prove two years of foreign driving experience I will be able to take the driving test right away:

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Moving-from-another-country.aspx

while in AB they will be reviewing my papers for a few weeks:

https://www.servicealberta.ca/1671.cfm

Is that correct?
In both cases, you should be able to get a GDL / Novice license. If you go here: http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Moving-from-another-country.aspx?step=1 to the bottom, it says:

If you don’t have two years’ of non-learner driving experience:

You’ll need to go through the graduated licensing program. You’ll get credit for any non-learner driving experience you can provide.

Learn more about proving your driving experience.
If you go to that first link: http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/new-drivers/Pages/Graduated-licensing.aspx you will see 3 steps. With a foreign license that is not from a country that has an exchange agreement, you would have to take the written test and basic road test and you should be able to go straight to step 2 and get the Novice license.

royston

Apr 27, 2014
Hi,

I have a Valid driving License from Mumbai, India since 2002. However this License is in the form of a booklet and not a smart card. As well the letter I am getting from the transport authority is a handwritten one, since the record is not computerized.

Is the booklet type of license from India acceptable to apply for the Ontario's DL

khenderson

May 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30/06/2014
AOR Received.
19/08/2014
Med's Done....
28/03/2014
Passport Req..
02/12/2014
VISA ISSUED...
19/12/2014
LANDED..........
01/04/2015
Any Belgians out there? I have passed my knowledge test and I have my road test in 2 weeks (BC). Do I still need to provide a driver's abstract and if so how can I find it? I asked my insurance provider before I left and he just sent me a long email in Dutch, of course lol. I only ask because I just showed my Belgian drivers licence to take the knowledge test, so do I need to bring anything else to the road test? Thanks.

GREAKLY

Aug 14, 2011
khenderson said:
Any Belgians out there? I have passed my knowledge test and I have my road test in 2 weeks (BC). Do I still need to provide a driver's abstract and if so how can I find it? I asked my insurance provider before I left and he just sent me a long email in Dutch, of course lol. I only ask because I just showed my Belgian drivers licence to take the knowledge test, so do I need to bring anything else to the road test? Thanks.
As long as they accepted your DL for the knowledge test (which I assume you passed) I do not think you need anything else for the road test. Recognizing your two-year driving-experience is a different story. Usually your "long insurance letter in Dutch" needs to be translated by their approved translator or by your embassy/consulate.

What province are you in?

mubs786

Nov 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2014
File Transfer...
PER: 16-11-2014
Med's Request
11-03-2015
Med's Done....
04-04-2015
Interview........
RPRF Paid: 23-03-2015
Passport Req..
08-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2015
LANDED..........
24-03-2016
Guys, I have a Saudi Arabia DL(1 year old) as well as India DL(10 years old). What is the procedure for me to get a DL in Canada - Ontario or Alberta.

riyavisa

Jun 1, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29th aug 2014
Doc's Request.
cc charge - 23rd november
Nomination.....
per - 19th december
File Transfer...
14th March
Med's Request
Meds done - 14th April
Med's Done....
3rd Line- 23rd April
Passport Req..
PPR & DM 26th May
Can someone post the sample of DL extract..My RTO doesnt have this sample letter :-X, and i need to provide them one.
Thanks guys

shubham.maksi

Sep 15, 2014
Mumbai
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2014
Doc's Request.
PER - 03-02-2015
AOR Received.
25.02.2015 (Warsaw Visa Office)
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
File Transfer...
25.02.2015 (Warsaw Visa Office)
Med's Request
16-04-15
Med's Done....
22-04-15
Interview........
Hopefully Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Vancouver soon
i dont the DL issued in 2002, smart card but DOB is wrong.. will that DL will be valid in Canada?

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
shubham.maksi said:
i dont the DL issued in 2002, smart card but DOB is wrong.. will that DL will be valid in Canada?
Simple answer No. Consider it from the officer's shoes. A new immigrant comes over applies for DL, has a different DOB on his DL to his passport.

You should get it corrected.

Vats

Champion Member
Feb 3, 2012
I got Full G licence in 4 months of landing here in Canada.
the main thing is needed proper process
1) get G1 asap as its simple
2) bring original licence and DL extract from home country
3) find good instructor (not good in marketing but real) no need to go to clasees etc
4) take 5-6 lessons and give G2 asap
5) G2 is not mandatory but it will give you time to practice for G and with G2 you can drive alone for practice
6) do proper practice drive car for 1/2 months and than go for full G
I am sure you will make it in first attempt

pr1711

Jul 29, 2014
Visa Office......
NDVO/<b>Colombo</b>
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
<b>Oct 09th 2014</b>
Doc's Request.
May 13th 2015
Nomination.....
<b>(PER):</b> Jan 15th 2015
AOR Received.
Feb 13th 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
<b>SLU:</b> May 01st 2015: Started processing on Apr 28th 2015
Med's Request
May 14th 2015
Med's Done....
May 20th 2015 || <b>Third Line: </b>May 28th 2015 || <b>Decision Made: </b>June 27th 2015
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
[color=#D4A017] <b>July 30th 2015</b>[/color] <b>
VISA ISSUED...
Aug 2015
LANDED..........
Oct 16th 2015
Vats said:
I got Full G licence in 4 months of landing here in Canada.
the main thing is needed proper process
1) get G1 asap as its simple
2) bring original licence and DL extract from home country
3) find good instructor (not good in marketing but real) no need to go to clasees etc
4) take 5-6 lessons and give G2 asap
5) G2 is not mandatory but it will give you time to practice for G and with G2 you can drive alone for practice
6) do proper practice drive car for 1/2 months and than go for full G
I am sure you will make it in first attempt
That's great buddy. How did you managed to get the DL extract ? Which Transport Authority did you approached for it ?

Regards.

angrej22

Aug 12, 2015
PM48633 said:
Hi binny8,

In Mumbai you can get the licence letter.
You need to go to RTO Andheri W and catch hold of any agent or through any motor training school in your area the letter is called Licence extract.
All it says is that the licence is issued to --- from ---date to --- date and it mentions that there is no traffic violations found on our record.
This is the only letter that they issue hence I think this should suffice as it has the details of our licence and the start date and the end date and that no offences are found. it does not talk of any driving experience which they do not give in Mumbai.

Regards,
Pm48633

shb

May 10, 2014
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-10-2014
Doc's Request.
Photo Request (18-02-15)
Nomination.....
18-01-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
24-06-2015 --> SLU 26-06-2015
Med's Done....
27-06-2015 --> Uploaded 30-06-2015 --> TLU 04-07-2015
Passport Req..
Request --> 14-07-15 PP submitted --> 03-08-15
VISA ISSUED...
Received pp with Maple Leaf :)
LANDED..........
Soon...
HEllo,

I have an Oman driving license and it has been slightly over 2 years I have this with me. (Written both In English & Arabic)
Driving exp. (LHD) = > 2 years as per DL issued.

Do I still need to get the "Authorization letter" from the authorities here in Oman that my DL is genuine and I have > 2 yr exp.
Or If I simply show my DL to Canadian RTA, will I be able to take the G2 road test directly and the waiting period will no longer apply?
Since my DL was issued in 2013

Pls advice.
Thank you.

CN_70

Dec 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'd like to share some new information about using the international drive license in Ontario which is allowed for 60 days after landing BUT if we apply for Ontario drive license and receive G1 license as first step (even for drive experience person out side Canada) we are no more allowed to use our international drive license even within the 60 days and problem when we try to book road test it take more than a month for next appointment so during the period between issuing the G1 and do the road test for G2 or G we cant use our international drive license and we can use only G1 license even within the 60 days from landing. this is problem because we cant drive car alone with G1 license and will stuck until doing road test and receiving G2 or G drive license.

CN_70

Dec 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shb said:
HEllo,

I have an Oman driving license and it has been slightly over 2 years I have this with me. (Written both In English & Arabic)
Driving exp. (LHD) = > 2 years as per DL issued.

Do I still need to get the "Authorization letter" from the authorities here in Oman that my DL is genuine and I have > 2 yr exp.
Or If I simply show my DL to Canadian RTA, will I be able to take the G2 road test directly and the waiting period will no longer apply?
Since my DL was issued in 2013

Pls advice.
Thank you.
if you need to consider as 24 months experience then YES you need letter from ROP which they will issue to you in Arabic and you should translate it to English and you need to submit both original (Arabic and English translate) in Canada to be consider 24 months experience and you can go for even G road test direct after doing knowledge test and receive G1.