+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Get Canadian Driving License -for Newcomers

docv

Star Member
Oct 6, 2009
congratulations qorax for being freely mobile.good people like u deserve the best.
my best wishes for your future plans.stay blessed.
regards
dr.vishal

new in blog

Jun 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2007
Doc's Request.
10-09-2009
IELTS Request
10-09-2009
Med's Request
waiting
Interview........
waiting
Passport Req..
waiting
birdtocanada said:
Hi
Qarax
How are u? I am planning to land in July are you there in Ca already?
about the letter of authenitication regarding driving license what do you mean by that and where do we get this letter
I have driving license from both India and Qatar,which license do you think I must submit for getting a driving license in canada
thanks
hello,
You are supposed to get two letters from qatar , first from from traffic dept. fro LEFT HAND DRIVING letter & second from insurance company for NO ACCIDENT CLAIM which is ofcourse if you did'nt commit any accident.The second letter I mentioned will help you when you will go for car insurance (when you buy your car).As per my knowledge you have to pay high amount for car insurance.
The letter from qatari insurance company will help you to reduce the insurance sum.
QORAX SIR & SENIORS please repair for any mistakes...........

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
docv said:
congratulations qorax for being freely mobile.good people like u deserve the best.
my best wishes for your future plans.stay blessed.
regards
dr.vishal
Many many thanx Dr. Vishal.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
new in blog said:
hello,
You are supposed to get two letters from qatar , first from from traffic dept. fro LEFT HAND DRIVING letter & second from insurance company for NO ACCIDENT CLAIM which is ofcourse if you did'nt commit any accident.The second letter I mentioned will help you when you will go for car insurance (when you buy your car).As per my knowledge you have to pay high amount for car insurance.
The letter from qatari insurance company will help you to reduce the insurance sum.
QORAX SIR & SENIORS please repair for any mistakes...........
U need just One Letter, from the RTA of your country, wherever u have more than 2yrs driving exp. The 2nd one that u mentioned is useless, as the Ins Companies here consider ONLY Canadian or US no-claim reports.

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Thank u Rocky & Penpal.

@ Rocky: Speed, Mirrors & Neck Dancing (every 4-5 secs) is the key.
All the best for your forthcoming Road Test.

Qorax
Thanks brother. Just wondering that should I just go for G2 or directly G though I can give G2 Exit road test and get G.

But thanks for the tip

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
rocky272727 said:
Thanks brother. Just wondering that should I just go for G2 or directly G though I can give G2 Exit road test and get G.

But thanks for the tip
Once u have the 2yrs Exp Letter & r Eligible for the Waiver, u might as well take the DIRECT G2 Road Test for the G License. Take that opportunity, why to miss it? In any case, if u fail, u'd still have the G1 Road Test chance & obtain the G2 License.

Though, it's quite probable that u'd pass it the 1st time itself. So, go for the Direct G, Rocky. Don't waste that "chance".

Qorax

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Once u have the 2yrs Exp Letter & r Eligible for the Waiver, u might as well take the DIRECT G2 Road Test for the G License. Take that opportunity, why to miss it? In any case, if u fail, u'd still have the G1 Road Test chance & obtain the G2 License.

Though, it's quite probable that u'd pass it the 1st time itself. So, go for the Direct G, Rocky. Don't waste that "chance".

Qorax
Yah, though have been driving here and it pretty organised here, I will go for G2 - Exit Road Test. I have the Authenticity Letter from RTO - INDIA stating the validity of my License and date of issue of the letter.

Will probably go next week.

Thanks for the opinion. Have a good weekend.

sunny1975

Star Member
Jun 14, 2010
Dear Qorax,

Congrats for getting license.

Do we need to surrender the UAE license once we obtain the Canada driving license ??

regards

sunnt

qorax said:
Just an update...

Today I Passed the G2 Road Test and
got the "G" Driving License.

Trick: Just concentrated on my Speed. Didn't move a millimeter over the posted speed limit throughout.
Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
sunny1975 said:
Dear Qorax,

Congrats for getting license.

Do we need to surrender the UAE license once we obtain the Canada driving license ??

regards

sunnt
No.
U get to keep your UAE D/L. They don't take it.

Roger55

Oct 13, 2009
Qorax,

I tried to find this option (IDP) on the Ontario License website but could not find any reference to the International Driver Permit, and that it can be used in lieu of points # 1 and 2 below. Could you please advise because I think it is the best option. Thanks...

Step-1 -Before we 'Land':

1. We must obtain a 'Letter of Authentication'* from the country's Roads & Transport Authority, explaining** our D/License.

2. Take also a 'True Translation Copy'* of our D/License from Road & Transport Authority. Both 1 & 2 maybe clubbed in one.

3. Obtain an International Driving License/Permit*** (IDL / IDP).
stating "more than 24 months" driving experience in our country.

*In English or French, the 2 Canadian Official Languages.
**The explanation should include 24 or 12 months driving experience [the Pre-conditions will apply].
***This is nothing but a translated copy of our present D/license. (it can be used in lieu of point-1 & 2 above)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are in Ontario, you need the official letter stating driving experience in order for them to allow you to take the road test. They do not say they will accept an IDP in lieu of a letter. If you have 12-24 months experience, you may take the G1 (basic) road test to get a G2 (probationary) license. If you have more than 24 months experience, you may take the G2 (advanced) road test to get a G (full) license.

If you are in Alberta, you can use an IDP to prove that you actually have a drivers license if you do not have a translation of it. In AB, they will let you take the basic road test to get a GDL (probationary) license even if you can not prove driving experience. If you can prove 24 months experience or more, they will let you take the advanced road test to get a class 5 (full) license.

As for an IDP showing the length of driving experience, mine definitely doesn't.

mooving2canada

Star Member
Mar 31, 2010
Punjab
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July2009
Doc's Request.
September2009
Nomination.....
December2009
AOR Received.
December2009
File Transfer...
September2009
Med's Request
1st Feb,2010
Med's Done....
18th March,2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
1st Feb,2010
VISA ISSUED...
7th April,2010
LANDED..........
Landed at Vancouver on 26th May,10. Residing at Burnaby and now looking for Job
rocky272727 said:
Yah, though have been driving here and it pretty organised here, I will go for G2 - Exit Road Test. I have the Authenticity Letter from RTO - INDIA stating the validity of my License and date of issue of the letter.

Will probably go next week.

Thanks for the opinion. Have a good weekend.
Dear Rocky, the letter issued by the RTO should be issued before our landing?

aybee

Nov 2, 2009
Chandigarh
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-October-2009
IELTS Request
overall - 8 (7 above in each)
LANDED..........
5-July-2010
Went to give my G1 written today at the Brampton centre. Had to wait for 1 1/2 hrs ...!!!

Result :
signs - 19/20 , rules-19/20

I was told that i could give my G without any waiting period, thanks to the Authentication letter i got from Home....

Thanks Captain.... ;D

Regards
Aybee

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
aybee said:
Went to give my G1 written today at the Brampton centre. Had to wait for 1 1/2 hrs ...!!!

Result :
signs - 19/20 , rules-19/20

I was told that i could give my G without any waiting period, thanks to the Authentication letter i got from Home....

Thanks Captain.... ;D

Regards
Congratulations!