+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Get Canadian Driving License -for Newcomers

sidhuboy

Star Member
May 1, 2010
I was a F1 (Student) in California, US for 6 years. I still have a valid California DL valid up-to 2012.
Since then i have i acquired the Canadian Permanent residency and will be landing in Calgary as of September. I need to know how much time and the process i have to undergo to get the Alberta Drivers License. Will i need to take any tests? Do i need to take along with me any other driving record except the valid license.

@all and Seniors...any information i can get here will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will exchange your US license for a Canadian one. You would not have to take any tests. It shouldn't take long to do it. They should give you a temporary drivers license on paper right away and you would get the real one by mail in a week or two, see http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/1671.cfm

DANNY25

Star Member
Aug 9, 2010
I have a different problem altogether... Please go thru the following...

I had my licence in india valid from 1999 to 2019. Unfortunately, I lost it and did not had any of its photocopies. I requested the RTAs to issue me a duplicate licence, for which i was been said that they dont have any records of my licence and they cannot trace the details simply from my name and birth date and require the licence no.

I drove the car anyways without licence in India.

Now, I recently applied for the licence and will be getting in next week.

My question is, would I be able to get G2 licence (criteria 24+ months of driving experience), straight away on the basis of my licence from india and letter of authentication (which I will be getting. remember it would be a newly issued licence)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have a letter stating 24 months of driving experience, it should not be a problem getting it acknowledged but you still have to take the tests. India does not have a reciprocal exchange agreement with Canada.

DANNY25

Star Member
Aug 9, 2010
@ leon,

Thats my point my friend. Would the RTA be mentioning in the letter of authentication that i have two years of driving experience, inspite of the fact that they have issued me a fresh licence (no traces of lost licence. for them, I am the first time licence applicant and a fresh holder of the driving licence.)

Regards.
Danny

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
DANNY25 said:
@ leon,

Thats my point my friend. Would the RTA be mentioning in the letter of authentication that i have two years of driving experience, inspite of the fact that they have issued me a fresh licence (no traces of lost licence. for them, I am the first time licence applicant and a fresh holder of the driving licence.)

Regards.
Danny
Unfortunately No. As u don't get a duplicate of your older one, your L of A would mention the new one only; & that'd be of a lesser driving experience, isn't it? Thus, no joy here for the mandatory wait pd waiver. Your new DL along with the MTO letter has no consequence in applying for a Canadian DL.

If it was me, I'd have done all possible to locate at least a copy of the older one & get it's duplicate issued from the Indian MTO. Or leave no stones unturned@their offices [by any means] to get that, rather than a new one -if u understood what I meant.

Qorax

thisisd

Aug 15, 2010
Hi Qorax,

I got the license validation letter issued by Fujairah Traffic Dept UAE and it was in Arabic. When i got it translated into English, I found out that it only mentions the details of the license and does not say anything about violation etc... Will this suffice.

Please advice.

Regards,

D

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
thisisd said:
Hi Qorax,

I got the license validation letter issued by Fujairah Traffic Dept UAE and it was in Arabic. When i got it translated into English, I found out that it only mentions the details of the license and does not say anything about violation etc... Will this suffice.

Please advice.

Regards,

D
Welcome to the forum!
Yes, it'd be fine.

thisisd

Aug 15, 2010
Thanks Qorax. Your various posts on Canadian Immigration has been of great help to me. Keep up the good work. Thanks once again.

Regards,

D

DANNY25

Star Member
Aug 9, 2010
Thanks Qorax. i was expecting the same..

Yes, I had tried every single thing possible to get its records / photocopies, but the fact is ITS SIMPLY NOT THERE.

cheers

DANNY25

Star Member
Aug 9, 2010
What if I carry an international licence with me ?

Does if gives any other privledge apart from 2 months of driving period in state of ontario... (privledge in the sense that can i directly apply for G2 or still it would be a long ladder game...

Danny

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
DANNY25 said:
What if I carry an international licence with me ?

Does if gives any other privledge apart from 2 months of driving period in state of ontario... (privledge in the sense that can i directly apply for G2 or still it would be a long ladder game...

Danny
No benefit there as well, 'coz u'll still have less than 24 months exp mentioned in that IDP/IDL, which is linked to your current (homeland's) driving license.

Regrets, my bro!
Qorax

gateway

May 31, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
No benefit there as well, 'coz u'll still have less than 24 months exp mentioned in that IDP/IDL, which is linked to your current (homeland's) driving license.

Regrets, my bro!
Qorax
Thanks captain

Cheers

DANNY25

Star Member
Aug 9, 2010
qorax said:

Regrets, my bro!
Qorax
Thanks Qorax. The picture is clear now..

Regards,
Danny

Benjamin Sapkota

Jul 1, 2010
kolkata, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
3rd April, 2011
dear seniors,
i know that in canada drivng car is essential mode of transportation.... my question is i dont have license and have never driven car , i am planning to land in the month of march - may if everything goes well .... how can i prepare best from india so that upon landing i can get license

regards,
benjamin