+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Get Canadian Driving License -for Newcomers

rajdeep

Sep 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
singh092120 said:
Pls help,
Do colorblind people face any problem for getting driving license in Canada?

Thanks in advance.
yes ,it can be problem ,b'coz, colour-blind people can not recognise colours, red and green colors, and most of traffic lights are of these colours , but i think in canada ,there are spacial traffic lights for colour blind people , so colour blind people do not face any problem to get driving license in canada ,if u want to be a pilot then u have to clear a colour based test , otherwise there is no problem 8)

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
singh092120 said:
Pls help,
Do colorblind people face any problem for getting driving license in Canada?

Thanks in advance.
Depends on how severe your handicap is. U'd be required to pass written, on road & eye tests. The written tests has questions which r in color (signs), which u need to recognize & mark an answer. The eye test is pretty much basic, however, there is a check for blind spots - using colored flashes... if u could observe that u'd pass.

Qorax

A

anushauc

PM,

If you have 3+ yrs of US driving history and you are able to get the letter from DMV , you get G. ( My case )
If you have 1+ year of US Driving history and you are able to get the letter from DMV, you get G2. ( My wife's case )
If you have <1 year of US driving history and you are able to get the letter from DMV, you get G1.

Note: Some ( very few, countable, single digit ) states US DL are swappable without the letter but you need to have the issuing date on the DL ( to prove the experience )

Regards,
AnushaUC

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
anushauc said:
PM,

If you have 3+ yrs of US driving history and you are able to get the letter from DMV , you get G. ( My case )
If you have 1+ year of US Driving history and you are able to get the letter from DMV, you get G2. ( My wife's case )
If you have <1 year of US driving history and you are able to get the letter from DMV, you get G1.

Note: Some ( very few, countable, single digit ) states US DL are swappable without the letter but you need to have the issuing date on the DL ( to prove the experience )

Regards,
AnushaUC
I second that.

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Dear Qorax,

Nomoshkar

Quick question regarding Driving License for my wife. She has an Indian license (Delhi) which is 8 years old. However we are now in a dilema if she should try to get a Dubai license (would cost at least AED 2800 and can go up to say 3,500 ++ or so based on the number of attempts). She has been out of touch of driving - was never a practiced driver. Of course I have a Dubai licence and will carry the IDL as you advised.

So the question is would it be eaiser / cheaper to get the Ontario G2 licence (full license) in Toronto or should we try in Dubai itself.

Thanks and regards
Nav

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
hinavin said:
Dear Qorax,

Nomoshkar

Quick question regarding Driving License for my wife. She has an Indian license (Delhi) which is 8 years old. However we are now in a dilema if she should try to get a Dubai license (would cost at least AED 2800 and can go up to say 3,500 ++ or so based on the number of attempts). She has been out of touch of driving - was never a practiced driver. Of course I have a Dubai licence and will carry the IDL as you advised.

So the question is would it be eaiser / cheaper to get the Ontario G2 licence (full license) in Toronto or should we try in Dubai itself.

Thanks and regards
Nav
Having the Dubai License helps, 'coz the driving conditions of UAE & Canada r the same. Nonetheless, it's not a deal breaker -- with some practice (which she, or anyone, should anyway take here) she should get thru easily. Don't waste those $$$ -- avoid the Dubai DL, if she otherwise doesn't require it.

Qorax

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Many thanks Qorax. Any idea how much might the total cost of getting a driver's license/practice etc in Toronto?
Regards
Nav

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
hinavin said:
Many thanks Qorax. Any idea how much might the total cost of getting a driver's license/practice etc in Toronto?
Regards
Nav
Cost of Driving Practice:
Usually $25/hr of practice. Requires about 10-15 such hrs before taking the test/s. It's wise to be 100% confident before taking the test/s -- which means, if we require some more classes, we shouldn't be hesitant.

The Licensing Fees@Ontario:
-$10 : Eye test
-$40 : G1 test
-$70 : Road test (each) --we may require 2-3 of them

Veh charges for Tests:
Usually the D/Instructor will bring the same veh for your testing. He'd charge u the same hourly rates, for close-by test centres. If u r required to drive to a far away center (ppl do so for ease of passing@distant centres), he'd charge u some flat rate. Generally $100-150 a test. Some pl go as far as Lindsay, in such a case u can expect it to cost u $250-300 a trip.

Qorax

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Much grateful for the information, Captain.
Prompt and specific like always.
Regards
Nav

qorax said:
Cost of Driving Practice:
Usually $25/hr of practice. Requires about 10-15 such hrs before taking the test/s. It's wise to be 100% confident before taking the test/s -- which means, if we require some more classes, we shouldn't be hesitant.

The Licensing Fees @ Ontario:
-$10 : Eye test
-$40 : G1 test
-$70 : Road test (each) --we may require 2-3 of them

Veh charges for Tests:
Usually the D/Instructor will bring the same veh for your testing. He'd charge u the same hourly rates, for close-by test centres. If u r required to drive to a far away center (ppl do so for ease of passing @ distant centres), he'd charge u some flat rate. Generally $100-150 a test. Some pl go as far as Lindsay, in such a case u can expect it to cost u $250-300 a trip.

Qorax

darkness123

Nov 26, 2010
Let me share my experience, I landed in Toronto last week of December 2010.

I came from Dubai and my driving license is more than four years old.

As advised I bring Experience Letter "To whom it may concern" from RTA, and International D/L (IDL never been used anywhere, it is useless for me).

At the first counter in DRIVETEST she checked landing paper, passport, original Dubai driving license and exp letter and send me to the next counter. The lady there took the original experience letter and did the eye test. Then I paid the fee of CAD $85/- (Knowlege test $10 + Licensing $75/-) then she gave me the yellow paper and told me to go for the written test. After giving the test, rightaway she stamped it that I'm passed :).

Again comes to the first counter and she gave a temporary Class "G1" D/L, and told me that I will receive the card in my mail box in one or two weeks. The best part is that she told me that I can qualify to take direct G test. The earliest date I get was about after 38 days, anyways I booked it and paid $75/- for exit test.

Before the test I took three drving test classess from a desi driving instructor privately $35/hour each, it helps alot. Driving conditions are same but you have to practice alot for "left turnings" and "stop all way" things etc!! To practice I requested my uncle with whom I did some practice.

Today was the driving test day! It was about 25 mins long including highway, and I successfully get the CLASS "G" license. Received the temporary D/L from reception and card will come in few days by mail.

Total money spent CAD $265/- and I have Class "G" license in 38 days.
Tip: Best time for driving test is between 9:30am to 11:30 pm because of low traffic and almost no padestrians.

Hope it helps.

Reactions: Catpaws14

singh092120

Aug 23, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-Nov-2009
Doc's Request.
9-Feb-2010
Nomination.....
26-Mar-2010
AOR Received.
6-Apr-2010
IELTS Request
Allready done
File Transfer...
17-Feb-2010
Med's Request
20-jan-11, Received 27-1-11
Med's Done....
31 Jan. 11
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-01-11
VISA ISSUED...
22/02/2011
LANDED..........
On 25/03/2011
darkness123 said:
Let me share my experience, I landed in Toronto last week of December 2010.

I came from Dubai and my driving license is more than four years old.

As advised I bring Experience Letter "To whom it may concern" from RTA, and International D/L (IDL never been used anywhere, it is useless for me).

At the first counter in DRIVETEST she checked landing paper, passport, original Dubai driving license and exp letter and send me to the next counter. The lady there took the original experience letter and did the eye test. Then I paid the fee of CAD $85/- (Knowlege test $10 + Licensing $75/-) then she gave me the yellow paper and told me to go for the written test. After giving the test, rightaway she stamped it that I'm passed :).

Again comes to the first counter and she gave a temporary Class "G1" D/L, and told me that I will receive the card in my mail box in one or two weeks. The best part is that she told me that I can qualify to take direct G test. The earliest date I get was about after 38 days, anyways I booked it and paid $75/- for exit test.

Before the test I took three drving test classess from a desi driving instructor privately $35/hour each, it helps alot. Driving conditions are same but you have to practice alot for "left turnings" and "stop all way" things etc!! To practice I requested my uncle with whom I did some practice.

Today was the driving test day! It was about 25 mins long including highway, and I successfully get the CLASS "G" license. Received the temporary D/L from reception and card will come in few days by mail.

Total money spent CAD $265/- and I have Class "G" license in 38 days.
Tip: Best time for driving test is between 9:30am to 11:30 pm because of low traffic and almost no padestrians.

Hope it helps.
Thanks for sharing ur experience in such a detail,
Can u pls share eye testing in detail?
specifically do they checked u for colorblindness?

Thanks.

Singh092120

Simon123

Jun 4, 2009
USA
I am in between with 2 years of US exp ...

question is : will they keep my US license? or give me a new one? I will keep travelling between US and canada for a year after my landing so kindda need both

anushauc said:
PM,

Regards,
AnushaUC

A

anushauc

Simon123 said:
I am in between with 2 years of US exp ...

question is : will they keep my US license? or give me a new one? I will keep travelling between US and canada for a year after my landing so kindda need both
Simon,

If you have less than 3 yrs of US driving history, you could only swap it for a G2 ( one of our cases ). You could drive with it in US & Canada.

My suggestion, hold on to the US license for some time and swap it after 3 yrs of US driving and get a G in Canada. Also that your US insurance will cover driving in Canada as well, but for a much cheaper cost than the insurances here in Canada.

Yes, they will retain your US license and give a Canadian license when you swap. The US license will be sent to the local US DMV mentioning that you now have a Canadian license swapped. So you can not get a duplicate one in US.

- AnushaUC

Simon123

Jun 4, 2009
USA
humm good idea ... but i can drive with US license in canada for about 2-3 months right? I think this will suffice my requirenment

anushauc said:
Simon,

If you have less than 3 yrs of US driving history, you could only swap it for a G2 ( one of our cases ). You could drive with it in US & Canada.

My suggestion, hold on to the US license for some time and swap it after 3 yrs of US driving and get a G in Canada. Also that your US insurance will cover driving in Canada as well, but for a much cheaper cost than the insurances here in Canada.

Yes, they will retain your US license and give a Canadian license when you swap. The US license will be sent to the local US DMV mentioning that you now have a Canadian license swapped. So you can not get a duplicate one in US.

- AnushaUC