+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Get Canadian Driving License -for Newcomers

A

anushauc

Simon123 said:
humm good idea ... but i can drive with US license in canada for about 2-3 months right? I think this will suffice my requirenment
Yes.

If you are pulled over, show your status in the USA and drive with your US records here, mentioning the reason to be here. You could say anything as visiting / ...
Legally here, you are expected not to drive for more than a month, but you could explain. What do people who come on business visit for 4-6 months deputed from companies in India do. They use their IDPl / Indian License. !!

- AnushaUC

darkness123

Nov 26, 2010
singh092120 said:
Thanks for sharing ur experience in such a detail,
Can u pls share eye testing in detail?
specifically do they checked u for colorblindness?

Thanks.

Singh092120
No, I don't think there was any test for it. She asked me to look into the eye testing machine, then some letters were there, then some flashing lights test, nothing unusual... thats it!

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
darkness123 said:
No, I don't think there was any test for it. She asked me to look into the eye testing machine, then some letters were there, then some flashing lights test, nothing unusual... thats it!
There is.
The 'flashing lights', remember? They r colored - if one is colorblind - s/he wouldn't know, when, where [the spot changes].

Qorax

darkness123

Nov 26, 2010
oh. I never thought "flashing lights" were for this check! Thanks Qorax for the correction.
qorax said:
There is.
The 'flashing lights', remember? They r colored - if one is colorblind - s/he wouldn't know, when, where [the spot changes].

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
chibiks said:
can I enroll in a Quebec driving school while residing in Ontario i.e. at ottawa gatineau border?
Which school & where u chose to take your lessons is really no one's concern -- your success depends on what/how u perform while watched by the Testing Officer.

Qorax

bijupv007

Champion Member
Jul 19, 2010
Edmonton
AOR Received.
2nd 17-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
APR 2011
LANDED..........
AUG 2011 - Not On My Merits But On His Grace
Thanks for sharing the great info buddy :D :D

Biju

darkness123 said:
Let me share my experience, I landed in Toronto last week of December 2010.

I came from Dubai and my driving license is more than four years old.

As advised I bring Experience Letter "To whom it may concern" from RTA, and International D/L (IDL never been used anywhere, it is useless for me).

At the first counter in DRIVETEST she checked landing paper, passport, original Dubai driving license and exp letter and send me to the next counter. The lady there took the original experience letter and did the eye test. Then I paid the fee of CAD $85/- (Knowlege test $10 + Licensing $75/-) then she gave me the yellow paper and told me to go for the written test. After giving the test, rightaway she stamped it that I'm passed :).

Again comes to the first counter and she gave a temporary Class "G1" D/L, and told me that I will receive the card in my mail box in one or two weeks. The best part is that she told me that I can qualify to take direct G test. The earliest date I get was about after 38 days, anyways I booked it and paid $75/- for exit test.

Before the test I took three drving test classess from a desi driving instructor privately $35/hour each, it helps alot. Driving conditions are same but you have to practice alot for "left turnings" and "stop all way" things etc!! To practice I requested my uncle with whom I did some practice.

Today was the driving test day! It was about 25 mins long including highway, and I successfully get the CLASS "G" license. Received the temporary D/L from reception and card will come in few days by mail.

Total money spent CAD $265/- and I have Class "G" license in 38 days.
Tip: Best time for driving test is between 9:30am to 11:30 pm because of low traffic and almost no padestrians.

Hope it helps.

shamicapoor

Feb 1, 2011
Always important to keep in mind is there is nothing better than to always stay ahead of the authorities, be it weather it is documentation or any regards to licensing.

BTW, help needed...Does anyone know any online training or full sample Tests for the G1 such as rules and signs I need to help this friend who keep failing making more than 4 mistakes that leads to retest on a new charge of $10 each time.
;)

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
shamicapoor said:
Always important to keep in mind is there is nothing better than to always stay ahead of the authorities, be it weather it is documentation or any regards to licensing.

BTW, help needed...Does anyone know any online training or full sample Tests for the G1 such as rules and signs I need to help this friend who keep failing making more than 4 mistakes that leads to retest on a new charge of $10 each time.
;)
http://www.apnatoronto.com/ontario-g1-practice-test.html

GIBALA

Star Member
Nov 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31 Dec 2009
Doc's Request.
19 Feb 2010
AOR Received.
2nd AOR on 24 June 2010
File Transfer...
24 Feb 2010
Med's Request
13 Jan 2011
Med's Done....
1 Feb 2011
Passport Req..
sent on 10 Feb 2011
Dear Qorax,

I have a question regarding the Indian RTO certificate to be submitted in Canada for obtaining a driving licence... Is this really useful? What should that certificate state ? Is there a format?

I understand that it will be necessary to obtain a certificate of reference by our country insurance company, stating how long we have been associated, and that - hopefully -we had neither accidents nor traffic offences. Does this refer to only vehicle insurance company or our medical insurance / life insurance companies as well? And if you have changed insurance companies frequently (common practice - depending on rates offered) obtaining such certificate from all such companies will be time consuming. What would you suggest? Also, is there a specific format for such insurance certificate?

Thanks a ton for your advice...

GIBALA

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
GIBALA said:
Dear Qorax,

I have a question regarding the Indian RTO certificate to be submitted in Canada for obtaining a driving licence... Is this really useful? What should that certificate state ? Is there a format?

I understand that it will be necessary to obtain a certificate of reference by our country insurance company, stating how long we have been associated, and that - hopefully -we had neither accidents nor traffic offences. Does this refer to only vehicle insurance company or our medical insurance / life insurance companies as well? And if you have changed insurance companies frequently (common practice - depending on rates offered) obtaining such certificate from all such companies will be time consuming. What would you suggest? Also, is there a specific format for such insurance certificate?

Thanks a ton for your advice...

GIBALA
1. That RTO 'authentication letter' is not just 'useful' - it's a MUST, if u desire to get the G1 or G D/L.
2. No amount of Ins. Letters is going to help u here, unless its one from the US.

Qorax

CBI

Feb 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Dec 2009
Doc's Request.
12-Feb-2010
AOR Received.
12 Feb 2010 & 21st May 2010
IELTS Request
7.0 Band (6th March 2010)
File Transfer...
17 Feb 2010
Med's Request
23 Dec 2010
Med's Done....
07 Jan 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23 Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
14 Mar 2011
LANDED..........
06 May 2011
Dear Qorax,

Do you have the draft of the 'authentication letter'?

I know its issued by the RTO authority, but seems they are unaware about it.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
CBI said:
Dear Qorax,

Do you have the draft of the 'authentication letter'?

I know its issued by the RTO authority, but seems they are unaware about it.
Most RTOs would have it on their system... Dubai RTA has [my case].
------------------------------------------------------------------
It's just a descriptive letter about our D/L & a statement that 'the dvr has no adverse reports on their system, didn't meet with any traffic violation/s from xyz to xyz dates'.

Qorax

CBI

Feb 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Dec 2009
Doc's Request.
12-Feb-2010
AOR Received.
12 Feb 2010 & 21st May 2010
IELTS Request
7.0 Band (6th March 2010)
File Transfer...
17 Feb 2010
Med's Request
23 Dec 2010
Med's Done....
07 Jan 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23 Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
14 Mar 2011
LANDED..........
06 May 2011
Dear Qorax,

Thanks for the quick response as always.