+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Get Canadian Driving License -for Newcomers

aydamoni

Oct 29, 2012
Hi, can anyone help me an answer? I have a valid driving license of 14 months from Bangladesh. Since this is less than 24 months, how this license would be useful in Toronto where I am planning to land in February. Should I start from scratch or the Transportation authority will count me this license? If so, then I will collect letter of Authentication from the Road Transport Authority in Bangladesh. Before I go for the pursuit, please suggest me with your expert comments.

thebeast184

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2011
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OCT 2010
Doc's Request.
Submitted with App
AOR Received.
FEB 2011
IELTS Request
Submitted w App
Med's Request
Aug 2012
Med's Done....
Sep 2012
Passport Req..
Oct 2012
VISA ISSUED...
NOV 2012
LANDED..........
JAN 2013
Gents/Gals,

What happens if you have less than 12 months experience? What DL do you get?

Thanks!

thebeast184

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2011
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OCT 2010
Doc's Request.
Submitted with App
AOR Received.
FEB 2011
IELTS Request
Submitted w App
Med's Request
Aug 2012
Med's Done....
Sep 2012
Passport Req..
Oct 2012
VISA ISSUED...
NOV 2012
LANDED..........
JAN 2013
Anyone? ???

thebeast184 said:
Gents/Gals,

Thanks!

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
thebeast184 said:
Gents/Gals,

Thanks!
I thinkthose months go towards your Learners licence, so if you had your licence for 10 months then you only need to wait 2 months until you can take your road test. I'm pretty sure that's what my nephew did, we're in Alberta so I'm not sure if it's different elsewhere

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In some provinces you would only get a learners license until you have completed 12 months, then you would be able to get your first probationary license. In others, they may give you a probationary license right away. The former is what Ontario does. The latter is what happened with my license in AB. Not sure if they have changed anything since then.

Some provinces allow you to take a driving course to shorten the time you are on a learners license. In Ontario, you can shorten it to 8 months so say you have 8 months or more experience and take a driving course, you would be able to get a G2 license right away.

dhusseini

Sep 2, 2011
thebeast184 said:
Gents/Gals,

Thanks!
See here:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/exchange.shtml

Applicants declaring 12 months and less of driving experience within the preceding three years:
- Applicants must have 12 months driving experience before attempting the G1 road test.
- If the applicant successfully completes a ministry-approved Beginner Driver Education course, the mandatory waiting time, prior to taking the G1 road test will be reduced from 12 to 8 months.
- The 8-12 months may be a combination of driving experience in the foreign jurisdiction and experience in Ontario.
- Applicants cannot return at a later date with an authentication document indicating that they have more than 12 months driving experience.

V

vidya

Hi All,
FOR G Licence guaranteed easiest place to pass in 1st attempt is Lindsay.
FOR G2 Licence guaranteed easiest place to pass in 1st attempt is Oshawa.
Contact +1 416-738-6808. Mr. Shabbir is a excellent tutor.

Rates for Lindsay & Oshawa is $ 150/- . ( Car provided for test plus 1 hr training given there prior to test).

All the best Folks.

Vidyanathji.

Nick Manickam

Star Member
Oct 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
10-12-2012
Dear Qorax,

With regards to Driving License, could you please advise me pre-requisites that could be done from India? I would be settling in Ontario.
Urgent basis.

Kind Regards,
Nick

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nick Manickam said:
With regards to Driving License, could you please advise me pre-requisites that could be done from India? I would be settling in Ontario.
Urgent basis.
You can get your drivers license translated into English or French. Note that this needs to be done less than 6 months before you come to Canada because the translation needs to be current.

You can get a letter from police or other authority in India verifying that you have more than 2 years experience. The letter should be in English or French or translated by a certified translator.

See http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Out-of-Country-Drivers.aspx or http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/exchange-foreign-drivers-licence for more info.

sunasir

Champion Member
Jul 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
ISD-LND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 25,2013
Issue of driving liceince,Qorax has told in detail but Q. is that From where we have to verify our Liceince .DPO issue the Liceince and we get experience letter from his office then we should verify from Canadian embassy in pakistan or Pak HC in canada ?
Here is the extract of source
The Letter of Authentication:

May be acquired from the Embassy, Consulate or High Commissioner's Office representing the originating jurisdiction, OR from the jurisdiction that originally issued the licence, validating the authenticity of the licence.
Must be on the originator's official letterhead paper.
Must be dated no more than 6 months prior to application date.
Must clearly state that it is certifying the duration of the applicant's driving experience and that the licence to which it refers is valid – the licence cannot be expired or suspended.
If not in English or French must be translated by a Ministry recognize translator.

roselita

Jul 26, 2012
Hello,
I live in Ontario with a tourist visa and have applied for permanent resident being sponsored by my husband (canadian citizen), I have an italian driving licence but haven't followed the "Step-1 -Before we 'Land'", I have the italian licence here with me but haven't asked for any letter in italy before leaving, how can I obtain a licence to drive here?
Thank you!

Nick Manickam

Star Member
Oct 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
10-12-2012
Hello All / Leon / Qorax,

I landed in Canada yesterday and i just have my DL from India for 14 months now. (Issued on Aug 2011). The DL card is in English.

Please let me know the procedure to follow to obtain an Ontario DL. I need it really bad.

Kind Regards,

Nick

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nick Manickam said:
Hello All / Leon / Qorax,

I landed in Canada yesterday and i just have my DL from India for 14 months now. (Issued on Aug 2011). The DL card is in English.

Please let me know the procedure to follow to obtain an Ontario DL. I need it really bad.

Kind Regards,

Nick
Here's how:

How to apply

To switch your licence for an Ontario driver’s licence, you need to apply in-person at a:

* ServiceOntario centre
* DriveTest centre.

You need to:

* take an eye test
* bring original identification showing your legal name, date of birth and signature
* bring your original, valid out-of-province/foreign driver’s licence*
* bring any supporting documents that show proof of your driving experience
* pay the applicable fees
* fill out an application form (where you will state how long you have been driving).

You might also need to take a written test or road tests, before you get a full licence. It depends on your circumstances.

Find a ServiceOntario centre

Find a DriveTest centre

Nick Manickam

Star Member
Oct 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
10-12-2012