+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Get Canadian Driving License -for Newcomers

Shaikhzees

Star Member
Aug 17, 2012
Nope, you have to go stage by stage. Now that you have the G1 license, you can try to take an appointment and apply for G2 driving test and if successful, only then you woud get the G2 license.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
mmiq said:
Captain, today i went to apply G2 licence after completing all procedure, UAE 7 year experience and submitting other document they told me to pass knowledge test but after passing they issue me G1 license slip tell me what can i do now?
because its suppose to be G2 ,if i am not wrong
regards
mmiq
a) Hire a Driving Instructor asap.
b) S/he'd assess u within 3-4 lessons & obtain the nearest 'date' available for the direct "G License".
c) U can take the G2 Road test "directly" w/out the 'graduating' process, u've one chance at it.
d) If u fail that test -- u'd then go twice for the road tests -- one for G2 & then again for G.
e) Letting the D/Instructor obtain the test dates is wise -- b'coz they know the 'easy' test centres & they can 'grab' early dates while logging at midnight.

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Shaikhzees said:
Nope, you have to go stage by stage. Now that you have the G1 license, you can try to take an appointment and apply for G2 driving test and if successful, only then you woud get the G2 license.
No. He can go for a "direct" G.

humsafar

Jun 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with initial application
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS 19-10-2011
Med's Request
20-07-2012
Med's Done....
25-08-2012 received in London 31-08-2012
Hi Shaikh,
Can you please tell which is the website you used for Practicing the Tests ?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
humsafar said:
Hi Shaikh,
Can you please tell which is the website you used for Practicing the Tests ?
http://www.apnatoronto.com/ontario-g1-test/
Practising all the 5-tests in this link is enough to see u thru for G-1.

Mangatholi

Nov 12, 2012
qorax said:
Practising all the 5-tests in this link is enough to see u thru for G-1.
I have not driven a car in my real life. But, I am very used to driving one in computer games and simulators. Will that help me in getting my first driving license?

mmiq

Oct 29, 2010
DUBAI
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
0111 F/Manager
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
01/11/12
LANDED..........
FEB,2013
qorax said:
a) Hire a Driving Instructor asap.
b) S/he'd assess u within 3-4 lessons & obtain the nearest 'date' available for the direct "G License".
c) U can take the G2 Road test "directly" w/out the 'graduating' process, u've one chance at it.
d) If u fail that test -- u'd then go twice for the road tests -- one for G2 & then again for G.
e) Letting the D/Instructor obtain the test dates is wise -- b'coz they know the 'easy' test centres & they can 'grab' early dates while logging at midnight.

Qorax
thanks captain for your prompt reply

tocanadame

May 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan. 2010
Med's Request
June 2012
Med's Done....
July 2012
Passport Req..
13/11/2012
VISA ISSUED...
04/01/2013
LANDED..........
Not yet
Dear All , i have a question regarding driving license , i have an expired driving license from USA (expired 2 months ago) , yet i am not going to land till May , when should i get a driving abstract from USA ? how recent should the abstract be before applying for a driving license in CANADA (BC) ?

Thanks

humsafar

Jun 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2011
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS 19-10-2011
Med's Request
20-07-2012
Med's Done....
25-08-2012 received in London 31-08-2012
Mangatholi said:
I have not driven a car in my real life. But, I am very used to driving one in computer games and simulators. Will that help me in getting my first driving license?
Yep the only thing is you wont find a "spacebar" to apply brakes in real time driving.

Just joking, please dont mind.

infact this is a real story happened with younger brother of my friend, he hit his land cruiser and when asked why you didn't apply brakes, the reply was same, couldn't find the space bar. :D

lavanworld

Apr 2, 2012
harry_aussie said:
There is no knowledge test for Australian licence holders in the province of ontario and i think it is the same for the countries having reciprocal licence agreement with ontario.I exchanged my Australian driving licence without a knowledge test, only a vision test was done.
Hi harry aussie,

I have a full Australian driving license, Does Australia included in reciprocal agreement ? iam immigarting to ontario in may 2013, do i need to get driving history reports from Vic roads ? have you shown any aus driving records ? do i need to hold full australian license for many years to exchange the license.. iam asking this cos i got full license 1 year ago, before this i was driving on P plate for 2+ years.. thanks

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just FYI: ONTARIO Driving license

I took an extract of my driving record from Saudi Arabia (Maroor office)
got it and my Saudi D/L translated from OTIO Mississauga, and went for G1 written test
once i passed my G1, I was eligible for and exempted from G1 road exit (road test) and went direct for G
exam (which unfortunately i failed), but anyhow, they accepted my experience
and I can still take G1 Exit for G2 and then G exam, since my experience is with them in
the database.

Thanks Qorax for all your informative posts, I felt like sharing my experience maybe useful
for someone in future.

Regards

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
ItsBeenLongNow said:
Just FYI: ONTARIO Driving license

I took an extract of my driving record from Saudi Arabia (Maroor office)
got it and my Saudi D/L translated from OTIO Mississauga, and went for G1 written test
once i passed my G1, I was eligible for and exempted from G1 road exit (road test) and went direct for G
exam (which unfortunately i failed), but anyhow, they accepted my experience
and I can still take G1 Exit for G2 and then G exam, since my experience is with them in
the database.

Thanks Qorax for all your informative posts, I felt like sharing my experience maybe useful
for someone in future.

Regards
Thanx for the infoshare.

ALPHA BRAVO

Feb 19, 2013
Dear Qorax,

one quick question regarding Qatar driving license.

I was working in Qatar and got my Driving license there in June 2011 after a few days of getting the license, I came back to India. The license is still valid (5yrs time).

I would like to know if that license can help me in anyway in Toronto. Although I wont be able to get any license abstract from Doha, I hope the similar Driving rules in the two countries would be of some help.

I have an Indian licese too from July 2011 onwards and in both the cases, the two years experience is still not there....

Please guide me which license can help me better in bypassing a few tests there if not all.

Thanks in advance.

mikenz

Sep 5, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mangatholi said:
Probably as much as I will get my license to fly a Boeing 747, having experienced it on my flightsimulator.. ;D