+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Get Canadian Driving License -for Newcomers

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tina, I think your problem will be that Ontario wants records of your last 3 years driving experience. You can get a drivers abstract from India but it will not cover the last 3 years and you can not get anything from Australia if you don't have a license in Australia. You can certainly try it and see if they will let you take the test. If they will not let you take the test, you will have to start from scratch. In that case, it would be better for you to take a driving course to shorten your waiting period from 12 to 8 months before you can take the basic road test. If they do allow you to take the test, you should take a few driving lessons before you take it and you might just want to go for the basic test instead of the advanced test if they give you a choice of that.

australiatocanada

Star Member
Apr 19, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Landing in June 2012 end by grace of GOD
Leon said:
Tina, I think your problem will be that Ontario wants records of your last 3 years driving experience. You can get a drivers abstract from India but it will not cover the last 3 years and you can not get anything from Australia if you don't have a license in Australia. You can certainly try it and see if they will let you take the test. If they will not let you take the test, you will have to start from scratch. In that case, it would be better for you to take a driving course to shorten your waiting period from 12 to 8 months before you can take the basic road test. If they do allow you to take the test, you should take a few driving lessons before you take it and you might just want to go for the basic test instead of the advanced test if they give you a choice of that.
Thanks Leon.... :D +1 for you

but can you also clarify about....Is there any benefit if before coming to canada i should apply for International driving license in India and have one handy....will it help me to get mine license soon and easily in Ontario....

Tina :D

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, there is no benefit in getting an IDP if you are moving to Canada. The rules in Ontario state that you must exchange within 2 months if you have moved there so what you need from India is a drivers abstract from the police or transport authority, in English or translated into English. An IDP is only useful if you are staying in Canada temporarily but for a longer period, for example as a student. Then you can continue driving on your foreign license a bit longer.

See http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/exchange.shtml for more info on this.

australiatocanada

Star Member
Apr 19, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Landing in June 2012 end by grace of GOD
Leon said:
No, there is no benefit in getting an IDP if you are moving to Canada. The rules in Ontario state that you must exchange within 2 months if you have moved there so what you need from India is a drivers abstract from the police or transport authority, in English or translated into English. An IDP is only useful if you are staying in Canada temporarily but for a longer period, for example as a student. Then you can continue driving on your foreign license a bit longer.

See http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/exchange.shtml for more info on this.
Thanks Leon....appreciated your help....now all clear.....again will give you +1 definately...

Tina

montu

Jun 24, 2011
toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
london``
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july2010
Doc's Request.
8thjuly2010
AOR Received.
22-11-2010
IELTS Request
àt the time of application
File Transfer...
22-11-2010 to lon vo
Med's Request
21-3-2011
Med's Done....
22-6-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
in oct 2011
• Dear Qorax,

how and fr where in oman can i get the written authentication of my foreign driving experience .
i hold both indian and omani d/l, should i take letter fr both countries??or fr oman is enough?

thanks..

farima

Star Member
Jan 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
SG
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April, 2006
Doc's Request.
Nov, 2010
Med's Request
19th July, 2011
Med's Done....
18th Aug, 2011
Passport Req..
27th Sep, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
24th Oct, 2011
LANDED..........
28 April 2012
good job Qurax!

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
montu said:
• Dear Qorax,

how and fr where in oman can i get the written authentication of my foreign driving experience .
i hold both indian and omani d/l, should i take letter fr both countries??or fr oman is enough?

thanks..
a. Visit their MTO/RTA Hd. Office.
b. Either of them would do, provided their DL is valid.

Qorax

montu

Jun 24, 2011
toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
london``
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july2010
Doc's Request.
8thjuly2010
AOR Received.
22-11-2010
IELTS Request
àt the time of application
File Transfer...
22-11-2010 to lon vo
Med's Request
21-3-2011
Med's Done....
22-6-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
in oct 2011
qorax said:
a. Visit their MTO/RTA Hd. Office.
b. Either of them would do, provided their DL is valid.

Qorax
thanks Qorax

silly_chantell

Star Member
Aug 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
7 Jul 17
Nomination.....
02 Aug 17
AOR Received.
26 Oct 17
Med's Done....
18 Sep 2017
Passport Req..
15 Dec 2017
VISA ISSUED...
18 Jan 2018
LANDED..........
23 Jan 2018
cool, cant wait to get mine! i LOVE driving ;D

M2C

May 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi qorax!

we no longer reside in dubai. but we still hold a valid dubai driver's license.

i read somewhere in one of your posts that we can still get a letter of authentication from rta by asking our previous company's pr officer. i seem to remember reading somewhere as well that this is no longer allowed - that we must make a personal appearance.

do you have any update on this? any other way to get the letter of authentication other than the company's pr officer?

by the way, i asked you before about china pcc. you're right. 1 pcc from china even if it was region-specific was enough. they did not require us to submit another 1 from the other region we lived in.

many thanks. the advise and help you give to all members here are really invaluable.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
M2C said:
hi qorax!

we no longer reside in dubai. but we still hold a valid dubai driver's license.

i read somewhere in one of your posts that we can still get a letter of authentication from rta by asking our previous company's pr officer. i seem to remember reading somewhere as well that this is no longer allowed - that we must make a personal appearance.

do you have any update on this? any other way to get the letter of authentication other than the company's pr officer?

by the way, i asked you before about china pcc. you're right. 1 pcc from china even if it was region-specific was enough. they did not require us to submit another 1 from the other region we lived in.

many thanks. the advise and help you give to all members here are really invaluable.
I'm not sure of their current position... but till last yr a member of this forum - 'RPN' - fetched his Dubai LOA thru his erstwhile PRO.

Qorax

M2C

May 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
I'm not sure of their current position... but till last yr a member of this forum - 'RPN' - fetched his Dubai LOA thus his erstwhile PRO.

Qorax
Thanks Qorax!

terem-teremok

Jun 10, 2011
Replacing US DL with a Canadian one.
Why would DMV in Canada withhold my US driving license? What's the reason? What are they going to do with my US driving license? Would they communicate with DMV in US? And about what??