+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Get Canadian Driving License -for Newcomers

TechGo

Apr 13, 2011
Canooknic said:
Depends where you are. I'm in Alberta and have had to take the Learners test but they have credited my with days for my UK licence so I don't have to wait a full year to take my class 5 test
Dear Canooknic
Thanks for your reply. Did you have UK learners or full licence and when you applied for exemption?
I am in Calgary and today I asked from Registries Plus office on 52 Street but they said I will not get any credit for my more than 2 years old UK learners’ licence and have to wait for one year for class 5 GDL road test.
Could you please help me out how and where I need to go for this problem?
Thank you again.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just try another registry. The staff don't always know the rules and if you are lucky, you might find somebody who will give you credit for it. However, I don't think they have to accept a learners license from another country. You can find the AB info on Driver license exchange here: http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/1671.cfm

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
TechGo said:
Dear Canooknic
Thanks for your reply. Did you have UK learners or full licence and when you applied for exemption?
I am in Calgary and today I asked from Registries Plus office on 52 Street but they said I will not get any credit for my more than 2 years old UK learners' licence and have to wait for one year for class 5 GDL road test.
Could you please help me out how and where I need to go for this problem?
Thank you again.
I had a UK learners. I had called prior to our arrival and was told that they would possibly credit some time and when I went to the registry I was told no so I got them to call Service Alberta. I had to give them my UK licence and they sent it off but wouldnt confirm how much I would be credited. Once the Alberta licence came through I went back to the registry and they told me I was credited the full 12 months, which she was shocked about as she had only heard of it happening once and being credited 3 months.
Maybe I was just lucky....

TechGo

Apr 13, 2011
I have just received the following reply to my email to service.alberta@gov.ab.ca

Thank you for your inquiry.
Unfortunately, we are unable to give you credit for the time that
you have on your UK learner driver's licence. After completing
the class 7 knowledge test successfully (learner's driver licence), you
will need to wait one full year from the time that you are issued your
class 7 driver's licence card, in order for you complete the basic road
test for your class 5 graduated driver's licence.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
That sucks, maybe I got credit because I could prove that I'd had my UK learners for a few years, I just never bothered to do my UK test because public transport was good where I lived and I knew I was coming here and would have to start again from the beginning

gksh07

Star Member
Nov 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2011
AOR Received.
21-03-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
09-04-2011In process:12-04-2011
Med's Request
09-07-2011
Med's Done....
21-07-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2011
LANDED..........
Not decided yet
Dear Qorax
I have got german driving driving license in Feb 2011.
How can I exchange it with canadian.
Secondlywhat document I need for that.
thirdly I have got an indian DL also from 97.
Should i make new one because German had costed me alot of money and I dont want to give it up.
gksh07

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gksh07 said:
I have got german driving driving license in Feb 2011.
How can I exchange it with canadian.
Secondlywhat document I need for that.
thirdly I have got an indian DL also from 97.
Should i make new one because German had costed me alot of money and I dont want to give it up.
You need a foreign license and a drivers abstract from a drivers licensing authority in that country. Germany has an exchange agreement with most or all provinces in Canada as far as I know so you would get a license without having to do a road test. If you use the Indian license, you would have to take the written test and road test.

If you use the German license and you end up going back to Germany, because of the same agreement, you can get the German license back in exchange for your Canadian license.

TechGo

Apr 13, 2011
Canooknic said:
That sucks, maybe I got credit because I could prove that I'd had my UK learners for a few years, I just never bothered to do my UK test because public transport was good where I lived and I knew I was coming here and would have to start again from the beginning

Here is the reply to my second email to Service Alberta where I asked for some reference of their policy for learner's licences from countries with reciprocal agreement with Alberta.

Thank you for your inquiry.
Alberta's Motor Vehicle Policy and Procedure
states that:
Learner's licences issued from countries that have signed a Reciprocal
Licensing Agreement with Alberta must not be exchanged for an Alberta Class 7.
Clients:
• Must complete a vision screening.
• Must pass a knowledge test.
• Are subject to the Graduated Driver Licence (GDL) Program.
UK licence is a learner's licence; the licence must not be exchanged for an Alberta
Class 7 or 5 operator's licence.
The following website ht tp:// ww w. service alber ta.ca/1671.cfm states:
A valid licence from a country that has a Reciprocal Licensing Agreement with
Alberta can be exchanged for a Class 5 licence when the applicant presents a
valid licence of equivalent class.
If you have further questions please contact:
Ministry of Service Alberta
Box 3140
Edmonton AB T5J 2G7
Phone: 780-427-7013
For toll-free access within Alberta first dial 310-0000
Email: mv @ gov.ab.ca
Visit our website at ww w.serv icealberta.ca for comprehensive
registries and consumer information and services.

Any comments please?

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
I completed the vision & knowledge tests but then they agreed to credit days once it had been sent to them by my local registry so I don't have to wait for 12 months before going for my class 5

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In most cases you can, as a visitor, drive with a foreign drivers license. Even better if you have an IDP to prove that your drivers license really is a drivers license and not a library card and that goes especially if the language of your license is not known to the people of the country you are visiting. Of course it also depends on the rules in each country though how long you are allowed to visit and drive or if you have come to stay for good, how long you can drive on your license before you must exchange it.

For example, in Alberta:
http://www.saferoads.com/drivers/visitors.html said:
Tourists from any other country are permitted to use their valid licence for a period of three months. Non-Canadians holding an International Driver Licence issued outside Canada, may use their licence in Alberta for 12-months or until the licence's expiry date, whichever comes first.

australiatocanada

Star Member
Apr 19, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Landing in June 2012 end by grace of GOD
Hi guys, :D

Please guide me....I'm from India and holding full Driving License in India....living in Australia from the past 4 years and relay on public transport...now i think I'm out of practice (driving car)..and after reaching canada I think i will face hesitation due to left hand drive in Canada rather than right hand drive in India....

Now mine concerns is....for which license should i apply or comes in which category to apply? Is there any benefit if before coming to canada i should apply for International driving license in India and have one handy....will it help me to get mine license soon and easily in Ontario.... :'(

Please guide.....thanks

Tina :-*