+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to extend PGWP to obtain more work experience to meet 1 year Canadian work experience for EE

Andy2c

Jan 18, 2019
Hi guys, I hope you can be of help.

I have just calculated that Im going to be short 2 months to meet the 1 year Canadian work experience requirement for EE.

I'm wondering if I can apply for extended my PGWP by paper application before it expires, and then gain the 2 months work experience whilst on implied status.. Even tho my application may will be rejected. Is this a possible loop hole which will allow. me to gain those extra 2 months work experience.

Thank you any comments :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys, I hope you can be of help.

I have just calculated that Im going to be short 2 months to meet the 1 year Canadian work experience requirement for EE.

I'm wondering if I can apply for extended my PGWP by paper application before it expires, and then gain the 2 months work experience whilst on implied status.. Even tho my application may will be rejected. Is this a possible loop hole which will allow. me to gain those extra 2 months work experience.

Thank you any comments :)
Short answer is no.

IRCC closed this loop hole a few years ago because they got fed up of people applying for extensions when they didn't qualify for one (like you are proposing to do). Once your extension is refused, you will be out of status in Canada effective the day your PGWP expired. Any work experience gained after your PGWP expired will be classified as unauthorized work and will not be counted as work experience towards PR. So you'll still be two months short.

Andy2c

Jan 18, 2019
Thank you for your information Scylla! Can you suggest any other method of obtaining those extra 2 months.

For example, if my common-law partner were to apply to study. Could I work on implied status whilst waiting for their student visa to be processed?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Thank you for your information Scylla! Can you suggest any other method of obtaining those extra 2 months.

For example, if my common-law partner were to apply to study. Could I work on implied status whilst waiting for their student visa to be processed?
1. No, you wouldn't have implied status, you would not be eligible for a SOWP until your spouse receives her study permit and starts school.