+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to bring a newborn child of a PR resident to Canada

godsservant

Dec 11, 2014
Hi Everyone !!!

A quick question to all for advice and view point.

I had applied for my infant daughters immigration ( Sponsorship category ) and the case is under processing,

I had applied while i was Permanent Resident, last year.

She is at present in Canada with me, on Visitor Visa.

Now, I have received my Canadian Citizenship.

1. Would she be considered for Citizenship , or she would get PR.

2. Do i need to inform CIC about my status change, to Canadian citizen.

Kindly advice.

Best Wishes

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
godsservant said:

Kindly advice.

Best Wishes
1. No, she need to get PR first, then live in Canada for certain years before she can consider to apply for citizenship;
2. That would be silly!
3. Do not double your post.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
godsservant said:

1. Because you were not a citizen when she was born, she has to be sponsored for PR. After she gets her PR, you can apply for her citizenship right away because minor children don't have to meet a residency requirement in order to apply for citizenship. They do however have to be PR already and they must have a Canadian citizen parent or a parent who is eligible to apply and is applying at the same time.

2. No

Reactions: drrishi

godsservant

Dec 11, 2014
Thanks a lot Leon

I just thought, mine becoming a Canadian citizen and informing CIC, about it. may speed up my Daughters immigration process.

Thanks, for clarifying, it wont help, so no need to inform.

God bless

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
godsservant said:
Thanks a lot Leon

I just thought, mine becoming a Canadian citizen and informing CIC, about it. may speed up my Daughters immigration process.

Thanks, for clarifying, it wont help, so no need to inform.

God bless
Right, in Canada there is no difference in processing time based on whether the sponsor is a PR or citizen.

ryt2parag

Star Member
Sep 26, 2013
India Mumbai
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-07-2013
AOR Received.
28-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
23-12-2013
Med's Done....
11-01-2014
Interview........
Waived Off
Passport Req..
23-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10th June (on my BD)
LANDED..........
Completed Short Landing in Nov 2014
Hello Friends,

Me and my wife did short landing to complete landing formalities in November 2014 and went back to India and resumed our Jobs.

We were blessed with child in July 2015 and now planning to move to Canada ( with anyone of us getting internal job transfer)

We both have PR Cards with us but child has no visa.

I understand that we may have to apply for sponsorship from within Canada but then we have to leave child in India ( which is not desired option for us).

Please suggest which visa we can apply from India and also comment on its cost/time taken and success ratio.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply for a TRV/TRP from India for your child. A TRV is a normal visit visa and may not be granted because it is not your intention for the child to visit but to stay permanently. A TRP is a visa for people who don't qualify for a TRV but may have humanitarian grounds to go to Canada anyway which could apply to your child.

If denied on both counts, you would have two options. Either one of your goes to Canada in order to sponsor your child and the other waits with the child at home (which can take months) or you both go to Canada in order to sponsor and leave the child with relatives. It is not an option for one of you to go to Canada, initiate sponsorship and then return to the family because the sponsor must be residing in Canada during the processing time and if immigration finds that you aren't, they will cancel the application.

Divinity

Star Member
Jun 29, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-04-2015
Doc's Request.
08-09-2015
AOR Received.
05-06-2015
File Transfer...
15-06-2015
Med's Done....
19-10-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Soon
Hello, My husband is a Canadian citizen and I just received my COPR . We have a daughter she is 1yr old born in Jamaica where I am currently. My husband applied for her citizenship certificate from July 2015 and we have not gotten it yet. My question is can we apply for a travel document for my daughter so she can leave with me because I have to land in Canada by September 2016 and I can't leave her. What is your suggestion?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Divinity said:
Hello, My husband is a Canadian citizen and I just received my COPR . We have a daughter she is 1yr old born in Jamaica where I am currently. My husband applied for her citizenship certificate from July 2015 and we have not gotten it yet. My question is can we apply for a travel document for my daughter so she can leave with me because I have to land in Canada by September 2016 and I can't leave her. What is your suggestion?
If you have already applied for a citizenship certificate, you can apply for a temporary passport for your child in order to take her to Canada.

Divinity

Star Member
Jun 29, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-04-2015
Doc's Request.
08-09-2015
AOR Received.
05-06-2015
File Transfer...
15-06-2015
Med's Done....
19-10-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Soon
Thank you so much for your advice . I went to the Canadian embassy yesterday and I was advised to do just what u said so thank you.

stunningrae

Mar 17, 2016
Hi Leon!

I am 33 weeks pregnant and we recently received our passport with affixed visa. We need to land on/before April 2017. Since I cannot travel already because im getting birth soon. So, my husband and i decided to just wait until the baby is born.

1. If we inform the visa office when I give birth to our child since it is one of the policy, can my husband land first to Canada?or he needs to wait until our child will have its visa also?

2. My husband is the principal applicant. If he already updated his application because of the birth of our child, is there a possibility that our child will be given a visa also?how long will it take?

3. If it take too long that the validity of our visa might be expired, can we just leave our child to our relatives and just go back to our home country will the child's visa arrived?

Looking forward to your response! Your response will be of great help..

Thank you! :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have two options. Either your husband lands before the baby is born and then asks if he can add the baby to your application. It should be possible as you haven't landed yet but if the visa office says no, he may have to go to Canada and sponsor while you stay in your home country with the baby and wait. Sponsorship can take months. The other option is that neither of you land but let the visa office know that you are having a baby and then ask to add the baby to your file when it is born. The visa office may grumble and tell you that you should not have sent your passports if you wanted to wait for the baby before landing but they should be able to do it anyway.

What is not an option is have the baby first and then land on the visa you already have because once the baby comes, you have had a change in your family composition and your visas become invalid after that and would have to be re-issued with the baby added.

stunningrae said:
Hi Leon!

I am 33 weeks pregnant and we recently received our passport with affixed visa. We need to land on/before April 2017. Since I cannot travel already because im getting birth soon. So, my husband and i decided to just wait until the baby is born.

1. If we inform the visa office when I give birth to our child since it is one of the policy, can my husband land first to Canada?or he needs to wait until our child will have its visa also?

2. My husband is the principal applicant. If he already updated his application because of the birth of our child, is there a possibility that our child will be given a visa also?how long will it take?

3. If it take too long that the validity of our visa might be expired, can we just leave our child to our relatives and just go back to our home country will the child's visa arrived?

Taxed

Jul 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-2015
Doc's Request.
11-2015
AOR Received.
04-2015
Med's Request
11-2015
Med's Done....
11-2015
Interview........
9-2016 ARC Approved.: 9-2016 CSQ Issued.....: 2-2017 Re-Med's Request...: 4-2017 Re-Med's Done : 4-2017
Passport Req..
04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-2017
LANDED..........
05-2017
stunningrae said:
Hi Leon!

How about giving birth in Canada?

PheonixZZ

Jul 17, 2014
Hi all,

Many thanks to Leon and all contributing consistently and trying to help out PR parents. Your feedback is really commendable specially hats off for Leon.

I am also in a similar situation and trying to decide which way to go. I have got PR last year, we landed for 3 weeks came back to Riyadh and now we have newbaby coming up in November, which we are expecting to deliver in Riyadh.

I have 3 kids and my daughter 3.5 yrs old have been diagnosed with development delay. Now we are seriously thinking about moving my wife and kids to Canada on the hope of getting benefit from the Intervention program treatment for my daughter.

Trying to find out what will be impact if we decide to send my wife and kids next year after delivering the baby here.
Please share your experiences on how long it can take to get the TRV in Saudi and then how long will I have to stay in Canada to get the Sponsorship application done for my new baby. Infact thinking if its possible to make my wife file the sponsorship case for the newborn so I can come back and join job instantly.

Thanks a million for helping out.

Best Regards,
Mubashir.

ashikn

Star Member
Jun 25, 2015
Hi all,

I found this topic very helpful for me. Just some additional query, can you advice the following:

1. Is it like we have apply for TRV first and then if refused then TRP?
2. How much time (number of months) it takes to get TRV & TRP respectively?
3. how much avg time (number of months) it takes to sponsor dependent newbron (below 1 year) and child (above 1 year+) respectively?