+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to bring a newborn child of a PR resident to Canada

mohdtaqui

Apr 3, 2010
I would like to know on which visa a newborn child which is born outside of Canada to a PR card holder can be brought to Canada?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once you get to Canada, you can sponsor the baby for PR but until then, talk to the embassy where you are about your options. You can first apply for a TRV for the baby which may be denied since they are not supposed to issue a TRV unless they think the baby will be leaving Canada again within the time limit. If it is denied, you can apply for a TRP. In a worst scenario case, you have the option of leaving the baby with relatives or the other parent and going to Canada alone to sponsor the baby.

mohdtaqui

Apr 3, 2010
The thing is me and my wife came together on a PR visa two years back. Know my wife is pregnant and since it is difficult to look after her because of my job, I was thinking of sending her to my home country for delivery. After the baby was born she could come back with the baby. Do you think that I need to sponsor my newborn baby as a dependent to come to Canada as permanent resident?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mohdtaqui said:
The thing is me and my wife came together on a PR visa two years back. Know my wife is pregnant and since it is difficult to look after her because of my job, I was thinking of sending her to my home country for delivery. After the baby was born she could come back with the baby. Do you think that I need to sponsor my newborn baby as a dependent to come to Canada as permanent resident?
Yes, you will have to sponsor the child if it is born outside Canada.

Asif_786

Star Member
Apr 26, 2010
Mississauga
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon,

In the thread ou suggested the following:
[You can first apply for a TRV for the baby which may be denied since they are not supposed to issue a TRV unless they think the baby will be leaving Canada again within the time limit. If it is denied, you can apply for a TRP.]

Can you please explain the process of applying for a TRP if TRV got rejected for carrying a new born? I couldnt found any info on this online!

Thanks,
Asif

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ask the embassy. A TRP stands for temporary resident permit. It used to be called a ministers permit. Unlike a TRV where you have to prove that you will go back home at the end of your visit, a TRP is sometimes issued for humane and compassionate reasons to people who have been denied for a TRV, including babies who need to be sponsored.

Asif_786

Star Member
Apr 26, 2010
Mississauga
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Leon.

TRP is a plain application about the situation or do we need to go through proper application forms like TRV. I couldnt find any manual/document-cheklist for TRP. Please, help.

regards,

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asif_786 said:
Thanks Leon.

TRP is a plain application about the situation or do we need to go through proper application forms like TRV. I couldnt find any manual/document-cheklist for TRP. Please, help.

regards,
Talk to the embassy where you are located. They should be able to give you all the information you need.

skhan123

Star Member
Sep 27, 2009
Hi Asif,
I have the similar situation that my baby was born when i was in Riyad, Saudi Arabia. I went to Canada last year and became the PR. Now i m returining to Canada as I have job offer. Please tell me whats the proceudre to apply for visa either TRV or TRP (which one is applicable for this situation).

Regards,
Sohail

Reactions: Asking for advice

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your spouse also has PR or you need to sponsor the spouse too? You need to contact the embassy where you live. Apply for a TRV for the baby in order to take the baby to Canada and start sponsorship. If they say no, some people have succeeded in getting a TRP. Again, ask the embassy. If you can not get either one of them, you have no choice but to leave the baby while you go to Canada and start sponsorship.

Asif_786

Star Member
Apr 26, 2010
Mississauga
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As Leon explained, this is the sequence you can opt. But, in my view (and personal experience) there is not much point to waste months in TRV and TRP steps as probability is really low. I would suggest to follow the the confirmed path of applying the sponsorship from within canada, though its painful to be away from family for a while.

I got my spoonsorship processed by CPC in 35 days and file has been transferred to ISB embassy to process the immigration. Thats the challenging part where i am not sure how long it will take.

Leon, do you have any idea how long it can take for processing the immig case (after sposnorship and file transferred) vioa ISB embassy for new born dependant?

Thanks,

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can only point you towards CIC timelines for spouses and/or dependent children here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp

Asif_786

Star Member
Apr 26, 2010
Mississauga
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes sir, I have seen this but have you seen any post which tells how much time it normally takes in this case? OR if they treat new born cases seperately as compare to sponsoring life partners or other family members.

Thanks,

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Asif_786 said:
Yes sir, I have seen this but have you seen any post which tells how much time it normally takes in this case? OR if they treat new born cases seperately as compare to sponsoring life partners or other family members.

Thanks,
New Born children are processed really quickly, as there is no background check, no security check, no criminal records check, a minimal health check, no x-ray, no blood test.