+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to bring a newborn child of a PR resident to Canada

Praggy85

Dec 23, 2016
Hey Leon and Others,

I also have a similar query.

Me and my spouse are waiting for our PR (after submission of ITA), which we probably get in 3-4 months from now. However. we are concerned about adding our baby which we can only do after the birth of the child, and the due date would be somewhere near October. We have to visit Canada max in November as per the medical done.

So, please suggest what all options do we have??

1) Either to have a child first and then go, what is the process coz in that case our time to visit Canada will expire, we might have to submit our VISA back...
or
2) We can visit Canada do the formalities and then come back to have a child in our home country and then take along our child, in that case what is the process of getting a PR for the child ???
3) Also, is there a process to get the extension of time to visit Canada or to re-initiate the medical to extend the timeline?

Regards,
Praggy

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Praggy85 said:
Hey Leon and Others,

I also have a similar query.

Me and my spouse are waiting for our PR (after submission of ITA), which we probably get in 3-4 months from now. However. we are concerned about adding our baby which we can only do after the birth of the child, and the due date would be somewhere near October. We have to visit Canada max in November as per the medical done.

So, please suggest what all options do we have??

1) Either to have a child first and then go, what is the process coz in that case our time to visit Canada will expire, we might have to submit our VISA back...
or
2) We can visit Canada do the formalities and then come back to have a child in our home country and then take along our child, in that case what is the process of getting a PR for the child ???
3) Also, is there a process to get the extension of time to visit Canada or to re-initiate the medical to extend the timeline?

Regards,
Praggy
1) Have the baby born in Canada and get Canadian citizenship and passport directly.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Praggy85 said:
However. we are concerned about adding our baby which we can only do after the birth of the child, and the due date would be somewhere near October.

or
Due in October, which is over 40 weeks from now?

1. If your COPR/visas expire before you land, you will have to apply for PR all over again.

2. You would need to sponsor the child for PR. As a PR, you would be required to be living in Canada throughout the sponsorship process. If the child is unable to come to Canada during that time, you will be separated until the PR app is approved.

3. No, you will not be granted an extension. Use it or lose it.

If you are expecting your PR app to be approved in 3-4 months, then make plans to move as soon as you are approved and have the child in Canada.

Praggy85

Dec 23, 2016
Hi canuck_in_uk and steaky,

Thankyou for helping!!

I have one more question though. What about the health insurances and medical benefits, In case we choose to have the baby born in canada. Do we as Permanent residents get medical benefits immediately or post 3 months ,as I have read somewhere. what all is covered in the OHIP card .
We would be new there and looking for jobs too !!

Its a difficult question I know , but we are looking for people who have been through this so as to take a better decision.

Rgds,
Praggy

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Praggy85 said:
Hi canuck_in_uk and steaky,

Thankyou for helping!!

I have one more question though. What about the health insurances and medical benefits, In case we choose to have the baby born in canada. Do we as Permanent residents get medical benefits immediately or post 3 months ,as I have read somewhere. what all is covered in the OHIP card .
We would be new there and looking for jobs too !!

Its a difficult question I know , but we are looking for people who have been through this so as to take a better decision.

Rgds,
Praggy
For OHIP, you won't have coverage until three months after arriving in Canada. For the first three months, you will need to pay for any medical related costs out of your own pocket or alternatively purchase private insurance to cover these costs.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Praggy85 said:
But does OHIP cover pregnancy and related costs?
Yes - once you have coverage.

Venkkrishy

Apr 8, 2017
Hi,

Our situation is something similar.

We are Indian nationals living in the UK, and am allowed to work and live here for another 2 years.

I am a NS provincial nominee who received my AOR in Dec 2016. My status in cic website says medicals passed ( we finished medicals in Dec 2016) and eligibility under review.

Now we are expecting a second baby around early October. So far i haven't heard anything from cic after my AOR and not sure how long is it going to take either. With this uncertainty I don't think I can enable my wife to travel to deliver in canada also given that we are settled here and any new place will take 2 months to do so and now I think is not the time.

Given the situation, and that my wife and first kid cannot travel up and until they get well. Please can u suggest how should I go about. Should I need to inform CIC now when they call me for an interview or should I take a PR and then enable travel for my spouse and kids.

AOR : 10 Dec 2016
Medicals : 7 Dec 2016.
Current status: awaiting confirmation from CIC ( under review)
Nova Scotia Provincial Nominee.

Kindly suggest me some best options.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are definitely not going to land until after the baby is born, you can contact them now and tell them about the pregnancy and the due date and say that you will be adding the baby to the file once it is born. If the baby is fine, then there is no problem. However, keep in mind that if your baby for some reason can not pass medicals, none of your family will get PR.

Reactions: drrishi

kashjuni

Jul 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys,

Can anyone suggest from personal experience on how much time does it take to sponsor a new born baby and get him added to application after he/she is born outside Canada to parents who are Canadian PR holders. The CIC website gives an approximate time of 14 months to sponsor a dependent child, however, i have read earlier that for new born the process is very fast.

However, need some sort of first hand confirmation to plan accordingly. Thanks in advance for your time and have a great day.

Cheers

drrishi

Oct 1, 2017
It has been an awesome blogpost with so generous and pin point details Leon, Steaky & all others. Thanks a TON. My bad I found it pretty late.

I have a similar type scenario: myself (primary applicant) & my wife's PR visa got stamped dated - 30/08/2017 with validity till 17/05/2017.
I tried contacting embassy with a cover letter during submission of our passports for visa with my wife's expected delivery dates but couldn't get any reply and got our visas affixed. Our baby was born on 22/09/2017. I saw Leon mentioned in a blog not to travel if the family composition changes before landing of either parents. So kindly guide me.
1. How to inform cic? Should I change my application form details in my profile at cic.gc.ca to do it?
2. What is the procedure for re-issuing of visas for all 3 of us as parents visas might be invalid? Medicals were done in May-2017 for parents. Baby's passport is under process (maximum 2 weeks).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
1. How to inform cic? Should I change my application form details in my profile at cic.gc.ca to do it?
2. What is the procedure for re-issuing of visas for all 3 of us as parents visas might be invalid? Medicals were done in May-2017 for parents. Baby's passport is under process (maximum 2 weeks).
1. Send a CSE informing them of the birth.

2. IRCC will request the baby's documents and forms to add him/her to the app, as well as your COPRs and passports for reissue.

Reactions: drrishi

Erwaitin

Mar 24, 2017
This looks like the best post to explain our situation:

- Me and my wife are Spanish, living in Czech Republic.
- My wife is pregnant, due date 22nd of June
- We applied to PR, we are currently in IP2 and we expect to have the PPR in the next few weeks
- Our medicals will expire the 10th of April
- Our plan is to land before the 10th of April, then come back to Czech Republic, stay here around 1 year, then go to Canada

We do not know what to do...

- I am scared of the paperwork so our child can become a PR too after he is born (apparently the family will need to separate so one of the parents will need to fly to Canada and start sponsoring the child from there)
- I would like to include our child in the most simple way in our application if that is possible, even if that means delaying our PR

Any ideas?? Thank you in advance!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
This looks like the best post to explain our situation:

- Me and my wife are Spanish, living in Czech Republic.
- My wife is pregnant, due date 22nd of June
- We applied to PR, we are currently in IP2 and we expect to have the PPR in the next few weeks
- Our medicals will expire the 10th of April
- Our plan is to land before the 10th of April, then come back to Czech Republic, stay here around 1 year, then go to Canada

We do not know what to do...

- I am scared of the paperwork so our child can become a PR too after he is born (apparently the family will need to separate so one of the parents will need to fly to Canada and start sponsoring the child from there)
- I would like to include our child in the most simple way in our application if that is possible, even if that means delaying our PR

Any ideas?? Thank you in advance!
As a Spanish citizen, your child will be visa-exempt and can come to Canada as a visitor with you and your wife. You can then submit the sponsorship app. The biggest consideraton is that depending your intended province, your child may not have access to provincial health coverage while a visitor.

You can't include your child in you current app.