+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How should we inform CIC about Marital Status change after getting PR?

danielcoelho

Sep 25, 2017
No update till now.. it's been more than 3 months now.. do you also have similar type of application ?
Hi Shrey.. Well I got COPR on 12th Sept & getting married on 4th Nov...I will be informing them after marriage & I'm just wondering how exactly to inform them as they have not specified any email address or procedure of informing them..Would be you so kind and share some info brother ?
Also, since my COPR expires in June 2018, I'm wondering how long the entire procedure takes?

Congrats & Best of luck to both of you :)

sanskar03

Nov 13, 2017
Hi Daniel,
I got my COPR in August 2017 and still havent landed in canada. I am planning to get married in the next week. Can you please tell me what's the process to inform CIC of my marital status change.

I am assuming you would have informed them by now.

Thanks

Hi Shrey.. Well I got COPR on 12th Sept & getting married on 4th Nov...I will be informing them after marriage & I'm just wondering how exactly to inform them as they have not specified any email address or procedure of informing them..Would be you so kind and share some info brother ?
Also, since my COPR expires in June 2018, I'm wondering how long the entire procedure takes?

Congrats & Best of luck to both of you :)

sanskar03

Nov 13, 2017
No update till now.. it's been more than 3 months now.. do you also have similar type of application ?
Hi shrey,
I got my COPR in August 2017 and still havent landed in canada. I am planning to get married in the next week. Can you please tell me what's the process to inform CIC of my marital status change and did you got any update till now.

Thanks

Shrey_Can

Mar 14, 2016
Hi shrey,
I got my COPR in August 2017 and still havent landed in canada. I am planning to get married in the next week. Can you please tell me what's the process to inform CIC of my marital status change and did you got any update till now.

Thanks
Hi,
You can drop an email to CIC informing them about the change in marital status. They will reply to you within a week or two on the next steps. They may tell you to submit few forms along with marriage related proofs and spouse documents. All the best

sanskar03

Nov 13, 2017
Hi,
You can drop an email to CIC informing them about the change in marital status. They will reply to you within a week or two on the next steps. They may tell you to submit few forms along with marriage related proofs and spouse documents. All the best
Thank you so much for your reply. If possible can you please provide the email id on which I should inform them.

Many thanks..

kakaly

Nov 17, 2017
Managed to get a response to the clarifications I asked for from CPC Ottawa before the 7 day deadline, so didn't need to pay the fees or submit any documents

They acknowledged that both of us have approved applications, so don't need to submit anything. They have given us 2 options:

1. Land with separate applications where you are both principal applicants and your spouses will be marked as “non-accompanying”

Or

2. Merge your applications and land under one application. In this case, you will need to determine who the principal applicant will be.

We just have to tell them which option we prefer.

Incidentally, about 15-16 hours later after that mail, my spouse got a mail asking her to submit her passport for visa, so apparently her application is all but approved.

Any thoughts on which of the 2 options is better and why we should choose it?

@Freestyler - I am in kinda similar boat as you were. I have an approved PPR and I ll receive my passport with COPR in another 2 weeks. My fiance submitted her EE application 2 weeks back and has an AOR. We are getting married in January. What should I be doing in this case? I have an option to land in Canada before we get married. And update CIC as soon as we get married for my fiance's application. Do you have any thoughts?

danielcoelho

Sep 25, 2017
Hi,
Hi Shrey,

Its funny right..I asked you and everyone here the same question and no one replies.I asked twice..Its funny how people are don't you think?..I mean we all want help and advice so we join a forum and ask but hey, we only want to receive but not give :)..Now you can just pass this off as a rant and move on and i can just assume that you were really really busy. But hey, you had the decency to ask if i have a similar type of application so i'm thinking maybe you weren't so busy after all. Take care man :)

danielcoelho

Sep 25, 2017
Hi
Hi Daniel,
I got my COPR in August 2017 and still havent landed in canada. I am planning to get married in the next week. Can you please tell me what's the process to inform CIC of my marital status change.

I am assuming you would have informed them by now.

Thanks
Hi Sanskar,

Yes i have informed them on the email address mentioned above (which i figured out myself, you are lucky to be helped by the kind people here :).
I got reply within a week requesting for few forms to be filled by us both, my wife's documents which includes PCC, passport and photos and also a signed letter which explains more about the history of our relationship.i assume there must be a good amount of people scamming the Canadian government with fake marriages and such.
You should inform them after you get married. Also, note that they give you 1 month to submit all documents so try to be prepared.
Cheers and all the best brother :)..Congratulations for your marriage :)

Reactions: sanskar03

kakaly

Nov 17, 2017
Hi

Hi Sanskar,

Yes i have informed them on the email address mentioned above (which i figured out myself, you are lucky to be helped by the kind people here :).
I got reply within a week requesting for few forms to be filled by us both, my wife's documents which includes PCC, passport and photos and also a signed letter which explains more about the history of our relationship.i assume there must be a good amount of people scamming the Canadian government with fake marriages and such.
You should inform them after you get married. Also, note that they give you 1 month to submit all documents so try to be prepared.
Hey Daniel,

This is really useful. Just a question. Did you land before you got married and then informed CIC or did you get married and informed CIC?

Best
karthik

yusufjh

Jul 10, 2017
Hi

Hi Sanskar,

Hello Daniel. Thanks for this bit of information based on which I informed the IRCC about my change in marital status. I got my COPR in august and got married on 30th October. I informed the IRCC couple of days back and got a reply that I have to return my passport and COPR to cancel (this really freaked me out). They mentioned I will receive further instructions from MY CIC. I am just wondering if I have to wait for further instructions from them through my CIC or do I need to return the passport and COPR for them to proceed further. What happened in your case? Awaiting your reply. Many thanks in advance.