+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How should we inform CIC about Marital Status change after getting PR?

Freestyler

Aug 17, 2015
Hi guys,
I got my PR in early November. Everything is done except the landing formalities. I had asked earlier when might be the best time to get married and was advised it was before landing there. I got married a couple of weeks ago. I have informed CIC using the CSE route using this link:

https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

I have not received any response even though there have been 10 working days since then. Is there any other ways/means of informing CIC about my change in marital status?

If anybody knows, how long is the entire process supposed to take until my partner gets PR too? Her E-Medical is already done as she had also got an ITA, and I uploaded that as well.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You'll have to wait for the response. I'm assuming you chose 'Express Entry' in the drop down list.

ei8hteen

Star Member
Dec 29, 2014
Hi,

Here’s what happened,

I got PPR request! I then send an email to CPC-OTTAWA and explained them my situation (…that, I am going to get married end of April) and asked them if I need to submit my passport now for stamping. I waited for replay for 1 week, couldn’t wait and send my passport on 16th (reached 17th) with a similar letter enclosed in the envelope. I get an update on myCIC and it says. You don’t have to submit the passport. They asked me to upload all the required documents in 30 days . That’s March 18 (I cannot do that… I clearly told them that I’m getting married end of April). I got my passport back yesterday without stamping….

I guess getting back a passport w/o stamp is a good sign at least in my case. What do you think?
Shall I reply back to CPC-OTTAWA that I cannot meet the deadline as I am getting married end of April?

Please advise,

Thanks,

Scottygirl

Jan 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2015
Doc's Request.
23-12-2015
AOR Received.
14-12-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront (passed Dec 15 2015)
Passport Req..
05-05-2016 (sent 06-05-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2016
LANDED..........
15-07-2016
ei8hteen said:
Hi,

Here’s what happened,

I got PPR request! I then send an email to CPC-OTTAWA and explained them my situation (…that, I am going to get married end of April) and asked them if I need to submit my passport now for stamping. I waited for replay for 1 week, couldn’t wait and send my passport on 16th (reached 17th) with a similar letter enclosed in the envelope. I get an update on myCIC and it says. You don’t have to submit the passport. They asked me to upload all the required documents in 30 days . That’s March 18 (I cannot do that… I clearly told them that I’m getting married end of April). I got my passport back yesterday without stamping….

I guess getting back a passport w/o stamp is a good sign at least in my case. What do you think?
Shall I reply back to CPC-OTTAWA that I cannot meet the deadline as I am getting married end of April?

Please advise,

Thanks,
Is your passport from a visa exempt country? If so, then you only need to send a copy of your passport. Also, can you not just update them once you are married ie send a copy of your marriage certificate. I assume you want your PR card to be in your married name?

ei8hteen

Star Member
Dec 29, 2014
Hey Thanks Scottygirl!

No, my passport is not from visa exempt country. I did send out my passport and they returned it back saying you don't have to submit the passport. Submit all marriage related documents within 30 days. My question is how can I submit them if I am not getting married in 30 days? I'll probably have to reply them (don't know what medium, email, phone?) that I cannot upload as I am getting married end of April.

thanks,

Scottygirl said:
Is your passport from a visa exempt country? If so, then you only need to send a copy of your passport. Also, can you not just update them once you are married ie send a copy of your marriage certificate. I assume you want your PR card to be in your married name?

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
ei8hteen said:
Hey Thanks Scottygirl!

No, my passport is not from visa exempt country. I did send out my passport and they returned it back saying you don't have to submit the passport. Submit all marriage related documents within 30 days. My question is how can I submit them if I am not getting married in 30 days? I'll probably have to reply them (don't know what medium, email, phone?) that I cannot upload as I am getting married end of April.

thanks,
Well, you should inform CIC after you get married, not before. What exactly did you expect them to do?

ei8hteen

Star Member
Dec 29, 2014
I thought they'd open up my profile which they did, but only for 1 month. I'm thinking of replying them.

Please advise,

thanks,

pfse said:
Well, you should inform CIC after you get married, not before. What exactly did you expect them to do?

Reactions: MattyBro

Freestyler

Aug 17, 2015
It'll be 30 days tomorrow and I have received no response at all using the CSE route. What is the way forward? Any other way to contact CIC or inform them?

ei8hteen, what is the mail id for CPC Ottawa that you mailed them on? Maybe I can give it a try too (even though you didn't receive a response using that method)

CanadaResident1

Star Member
Oct 12, 2015
Hi ei8hteen,

Could you let us know the current status of your application..? It will be very helpful to get a clear picture.

Reason, I would like to know when to inform CIC is better: before getting married / after?

@pfse
Could you also help me on this? I see your reply above to inform them after wedding.

Thanks everyone.

Freestyler

Aug 17, 2015
CanadaResident1,
Inform them after the wedding or they may ask for some certificates and/or proof which you may not have before the wedding.

Freestyler

Aug 17, 2015
Some update on what's been going on.

After notifying through CSE, I got no response for an entire month. Finally, last week I sent a mail to cpc-ctd-ottawa@cic.gc.ca and then I copy pasted the same mail to delhi-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca

Remarkably, everything moved all at once within 24 hours or so

1. My spouse, who also has got an ITA and had applied individually under Federal Skilled Worked, has an application which had not moved forward since October. She got a mail saying her Application was updated. I checked and her application has moved to Background Check in progress.
2. CPC Ottawa replied outlining an 8 step process (Payment of Fees, Forms, Documents, PCC, Medical etc.) and gave us a 7 day deadline to get everything done and a decision would be made accordingly, and their mail mentions that my application can be rejected too.
3. Delhi Immigration replied too and as per them, both me and my spouse were meeting the standards individually and they advised us not to reopen our files. They said they had inserted a note into our files about our Marital Status changing and I could proceed with landing formalities and show the landing officer the mail they had sent.

As can be seen, the response from Delhi Immigration is very positive and the easiest way for us. However, my spouse has not been given a visa yet which I pointed out to them and also told them about the response we had received from CPC Ottawa which confused the issue.
CPC Ottawa seemingly did not consider the fact that I had pointed out that my spouse has also applied for PR individually, submitted documents, paid fees and everything. I sent them a mail for clarification but haven't had a response yet although they have had only 2 working days to respond.

I am now in a conundrum. Should we pay the fees (Processing+RPRF) a second time for my spouse? I have got all the documents and forms ready, but I am still waiting from a response from either of the id's for the clarification mails I sent.

I also don't know if there is any difference or benefits in getting PR for my spouse individually as a Federal Skilled Worker or is the Spouse visa just as good. Anybody want to shed light on this? Also, if we pay the fees again, would her application now start again as a Spouse PR application and will it take longer? I ask this because her individual application finally seems near completion. How long does it take for Background Check anyway? It would be great if someone could shed light on this.

Freestyler

Aug 17, 2015
Managed to get a response to the clarifications I asked for from CPC Ottawa before the 7 day deadline, so didn't need to pay the fees or submit any documents

They acknowledged that both of us have approved applications, so don't need to submit anything. They have given us 2 options:

1. Land with separate applications where you are both principal applicants and your spouses will be marked as “non-accompanying”

Or

2. Merge your applications and land under one application. In this case, you will need to determine who the principal applicant will be.

We just have to tell them which option we prefer.

Incidentally, about 15-16 hours later after that mail, my spouse got a mail asking her to submit her passport for visa, so apparently her application is all but approved.

Any thoughts on which of the 2 options is better and why we should choose it?