+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long can I stay in Canada?

MsOptimistic

Star Member
Nov 22, 2010
Alberta, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm a TFW and I just received my LMO today. I'm about to apply for my new WP online but i'm not sure until when can I stay here?
My duration of employment is 24 months but my passport will expire in 16 months?.
Can I put 24 months in my application? Then I'll just apply for a new passport after i got my new WP?

Any insight is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

dna

Star Member
Aug 5, 2011
When I applied for the work permit/visa (starting to work as a live in caregiver), it's written in my employment contract that the duration of my employment was 36 months. I put this duration of employment in my application. However, the validity of my passport was just 10 months after my application was approved. So, I was given the visa and work permit which were only valid until my passport expired (only 10 months).
Then, I applied for a new passport at the consulate of my country of origin in Canada before my old passport expired. After I had got my new passport, I applied for the work permit extension (the same employer) with my new passport.

In your case, if you apply for the work permit with your current passport, then the immigration officer will issue the permit which will expire on the same date or a day before the validity of your current passport (which is in 16 months). That's what I think based on my experience. Or, maybe other members of this forum have another ideas.

JGK

Star Member
Jul 16, 2010
Vegreville, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (File Moved to Detroit July 2011)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-09-2010
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
31-05-2010
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
01-03-2011
Med's Done....
22-03-2011
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
13-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-09-2011
LANDED..........
12-10-2011
You will only get the time left on the passport copy you submit with the WP application regardless of what you ask for

fhj1203

Star Member
May 18, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2010
Doc's Request.
27-07-2011
AOR Received.
22-10-2010
Med's Done....
26-07-2011
Interview........
09-05-2012
Passport Req..
09-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
09-05-2012
LANDED..........
09-05-2012
I agreed to both of them,the work permit will be valid up to the validity of your passport...

Tantan12

Jun 14, 2012
dna said:
When I applied for the work permit/visa (starting to work as a live in caregiver), it's written in my employment contract that the duration of my employment was 36 months. I put this duration of employment in my application. However, the validity of my passport was just 10 months after my application was approved. So, I was given the visa and work permit which were only valid until my passport expired (only 10 months).
Then, I applied for a new passport at the consulate of my country of origin in Canada before my old passport expired. After I had got my new passport, I applied for the work permit extension (the same employer) with my new passport.

In your case, if you apply for the work permit with your current passport, then the immigration officer will issue the permit which will expire on the same date or a day before the validity of your current passport (which is in 16 months). That's what I think based on my experience. Or, maybe other members of this forum have another ideas.
Hello.. I will apply new work permit in port entry of Canada and my passport will be 10 months validity until March.. Ok lng ba na mabigyan ako ng bagong work permit sa border ng Canada para sa bago kong work. Need help... Tnxs..

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tantan12 said:
Hello.. I will apply new work permit in port entry of Canada and my passport will be 10 months validity until March.. Ok lng ba na mabigyan ako ng bagong work permit sa border ng Canada para sa bago kong work. Need help... Tnxs..
Hi,

As to your question on the duration of WP that can be issued to you - CIC typically does not issue WPs with duration that exceeds that of the validity of the passport/travel document.

Note of caution - what you intend to do is to "flagpole" and then apply for your WP as you re-enter Canada.

You may want to take a look first at who is eligible to apply upon entering Canada.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp
------
Eligibility to apply as you enter Canada
You can request authorization to work in Canada as you enter Canada but only if you meet the following requirements:

•you are temporary resident visa exempt;
•you already hold a valid medical certificate, if it is required for your job; and
•your job does not need a labour market opinion (LMO) from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) (some exceptions apply); or
•you hold an LMO from HRSDC.
------
If you need a visa to re-enter Canada, you are not TRV exempt, unfortunately.

/all the best...