C

cchabert

The question here is how long can you stay in another country

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Whether outside Canada in another country or on a boat or in international airspace or on the moon, the answer is still forever. You do not lose Canadian citizenship because you are not in Canada anymore.

goud

Mar 7, 2008
Hi,

I hold Canadian Citizenship and after 2 years i just returned back to Canada. One of my friend advised me that a canadian citizen should report in canada for every five years and file the tax or else he will loose the citizenship.

But, how can a country take the citizenship back if he is out of country for more than five years...?

Is it true that canadian citizen will loose the citizenship if he out ot country for more than five years ?

Just, need to confirm from you..

Thanks in advance

prairiechicken

Jun 6, 2012
I was born in Canada, and my parents moved us all to the UK when I was only 3. I am now 34. As I have a big family, visiting Canada on a regular basis was really expensive, so sadly I have only been back to Canada a couple of times.

And I'm still a Canadian citizen.

I don't think there is any time limit.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
goud said:
Is it true that canadian citizen will loose the citizenship if he out ot country for more than five years ?
No, it is not true. Your friend heard a rumour and believed it but there is no truth to that. I don't know why people make up rumours like that.

rita.p

Aug 20, 2012
You won't lose your citizenship, however, you probably won't be deemed resident for canadian taxes and might have to file taxes with another country.

ZYXWVU98

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
you can stay outside canada for as long as you wish. only if when your children was born outside canada and got citizenship through parenthood decent, then your grandchildren run a risk of losing citizenship if that grandchild was also born outside canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
True, if children are born outside Canada and get citizenship through descent, then they will not be able to pass it on to their children in the same manner. However, if your child wants to move to Canada at some point with their family, they will be able to sponsor their spouse and children for PR and once in Canada, they would be able to apply for citizenship for their children right away.

Destined

Star Member
Jul 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Greetings Leon, :) :)
This post of your's made me laugh till my stomach ached..... :p :p :p :p :p

Good one... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Regards
Prem Reddy

Leon said:
Whether outside Canada in another country or on a boat or in international airspace or on the moon, the answer is still forever. You do not lose Canadian citizenship because you are not in Canada anymore.

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will not get any pension after you 65 if you dont report and pay tax even though your source of income is outside of Canada.