+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how can avoid the high cost of delivering a baby in canada

djmony

Nov 26, 2017
hi guys
my wife and I are moving permanently to Canada , as immigrant to the province of Ontario, my wife is pregnant and her due date is towards the end of march 2018, will be landing at the end of December 2017, as I know the government health insurance will take 3 months to be active , I looked through many insurance companies but they don't cover already pregnant women, so is there is a way to avoid the expensive delivery fee in hospitals, i heard about midwifes anyone know how much they will cost and do they deliver at hospitals or clinic, or if you any insurance company that will cover such condition even if it is a bit expensive than the others,please if anyone been through the same situation or have any information that could help me let me know your advise is most appreciated.
thanks all

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Private insurance is only available if you purchase it before you become pregnant. So that is not an option for you.

Using a midwife and having the birth at home significantly reduces the costs. However midwives are in very shortly support and there's no guarantee you'll be able to find one. Also, if there are any complications, you'll still need to go to the hospital for the birth.

The best option would be to land as soon as possible. Move your travel date to early December rather than late December.

Reactions: Lovely_Wings

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Depending on when you have to land you could always stay in your home country and then add your newborn to your application. Even if you arrive a bit earlier there are no guarantees that the baby won't arrive a bit earlier as well. Someone recently posted that they paid 7K for a vaginal delivery with no epidural and 9K for a vaginal delivery with epidural. Both quick deliveries without complications. That was also around 5 years ago so costs would have increased I would assume.

R

rish888

Yep, you either need to travel earlier, (like now) and hope that the baby doesn't decide to pop out early, or give birth in your home country.

Which route you should take depends on:

1: Can you cover the cost birth in case insurance doesn't come on time? If you can, does the cost seem justifiable to you for your baby to have Canadian citizenship at birth?

Btw another option you have is to do your landing in Ontario, but move to Quebec after landing and give birth in Quebec.

While Quebec has a 3 month waiting period, healthcare related to pregnancy is free even during the waiting period. An added bonus if your baby is born in Quebec is that he/she will be eligible to pay Quebec fees if he/she decides to study in a Quebec university like McGill when he/she is older.

This is a saving of about $16,000 in university tuition, so that by itself may justify giving birth in Quebec.

I know I'm jumping the gun by thinking 18 years ahead, but just saying.

One thing for you to check is does Quebec have a minimum stay requirement in province assuming your wife gives birth for free using provincial medical. Others on the forum can comment on this.

Here is the link to the RAMQ (Quebec Medical) Website:

www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citizens/health-insurance/healthcare/Pages/medical-services.aspx

Congratulations!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yep, you either need to travel earlier, (like now) and hope that the baby doesn't decide to pop out early, or give birth in your home country.

1: Can you cover the cost birth in case insurance doesn't come on time? If you can, does the cost seem justifiable to you for your baby to have Canadian citizenship at birth?

Btw another option you have is to do your landing in Ontario, but move to Quebec after landing and give birth in Quebec.

While Quebec has a 3 month waiting period, healthcare related to pregnancy is free even during the waiting period. An added bonus if your baby is born in Quebec is that he/she will be eligible to pay Quebec fees if he/she decides to study in a Quebec university like McGill when he/she is older.

This is a saving of about $16,000 in university tuition, so that by itself may justify giving birth in Quebec.

One thing for you to check is does Quebec have a minimum stay requirement in province assuming your wife gives birth for free using provincial medical. Others on the forum can comment on this.

www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citizens/health-insurance/healthcare/Pages/medical-services.aspx

Congratulations!
Rules are similar to other provinces. You must spend 183 days out of the year to maintain coverage or you will have to pay back the amount that has been spent.

Robinjorda

Nov 6, 2017
I doubt if this is possible to stay back in home country as the immigrant visa cannot be extended to allow for additional time for delivery in home country. Just my thoughts .

I will be happy to learn if the immigrant visa validity can be extended ...

Robinjorda

Nov 6, 2017

Congratulations!

Wow. This is huge fees. 7k to 11k CAD is a lot really for normal delivery.

I have a similar travel situation to land in Ontario and same time constraints for baby delivery date.
If I can't get insurance cover , At what point will I have to pay the medical bills? upfront or after delivery?

Or will the hospital reject to undertake the baby delivery if payment is not done upfront?

What other options are possible? Kindly advise ..

1. Are there other options of contacting a private doctor directly ?
2. Which province provides immediate delivery coverage for new permanent residents? I would mind to remain in such province honestly ..
3. I need ideas on delivery cost in other provinces to weigh up options...

Thanks guys

KKalra17

Jan 1, 2018
I second the answer from @rish888, he has shared useful points. Being in a similar situation (need of pregnancy medical insurance), one needs to get medical insurance prior (10 months) to pregnancy. I used the link provided in RamQ website to select medical insurance during waiting period in Canada but none cover pregnancy (in some cases they do but not last 9 weeks of pregnancy). Click here for link

Below service is covered during waiting period in Quebéc as stated in RamQ website (subject to valid immigration status).
"services related to pregnancy, child birth or termination of pregnancy".​
However, I will speak to RamQ tomorrow to confirm.
@Robinjorda
If you are planning to land in your desired state and then relocate to gain medical insurance, the exeptions are BC, New Brunswick, Ontario, and Quebec. In theese four provinces you won't be covered for the first 3 months. Other Canadian provinces provide you with the medical insurance since the day you have arrived.
Note - Do you research well. Can you apply for health card in other states from your landing paper? i.e. Your landing paper is of Ontario and you are registering for health services in Alberta. Will they accept your application.

Cost of private doctors consultation may vary, you may use below link to check the appropriate fees that they charge. You may check with the hospital if doctor can speak to you over the phone after paying the consultation fee. Click here for link for private medical clinic.

Also check this thread for cost of child birth (2012) Click here. Regardless insurance is covered or not, please do secure $7-10K for child birth emergency situation, for instances where health services might not be covered or for any complications not covered in insurance.

Staying in your home country for child birth can be done however under no circumstances they will extend your visa. If your child is born prior to your visa expiry date, then you will still need to apply child visa and arrive in Canada before your visa expires. Hence not a feasible option for me.

I see that there are many young couples experiencing same situation, I would like to know if any of you are planning to stay in Montréal.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
To repeat what rish888 the OP should sure to check any minimum stay requirements exist even with health cover in province of choice else the OP could find having a large bill anyway.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Staying in your home country for child birth can be done however under no circumstances they will extend your visa. If your child is born prior to your visa expiry date, then you will still need to apply child visa and arrive in Canada before your visa expires. Hence not a feasible option for me.
Not quite. If your child is born before your COPR/visa expiry, you need to add the child to your app. At that point, it doesn't matter what the previous expiry date was. Your app will be considered in process again. If your medical expires during that processing, IRCC will either extend it or request a new one.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure if some of these people considering moving to Quebec so they can have their birth covered might need csq. Don't know their situation enough and am not an expert in the Quebec immigration system. Would say that all provinces that provide paternity care immediately are aware that others move to their province for insurance coverage so expect your account to be watched pretty carefully so they can recover costs if possible.

KKalra17

Jan 1, 2018
Not quite. If your child is born before your COPR/visa expiry, you need to add the child to your app. At that point, it doesn't matter what the previous expiry date was. Your app will be considered in process again. If your medical expires during that processing, IRCC will either extend it or request a new one.
I noticed the below context which came along with my PR visa.

"YOUR VISA HAS BEEN GIVEN THE MAXIMUM VALIDITY - IT CANNOT BE EXTENDED . If you do not use your visa before it expires , you must reapply for immigration to Canada. You will have to go through all processing steps again."

Coming back to topic to save money on child birth, I am still open to hear new options for Quebec.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

"YOUR VISA HAS BEEN GIVEN THE MAXIMUM VALIDITY - IT CANNOT BE EXTENDED . If you do not use your visa before it expires , you must reapply for immigration to Canada. You will have to go through all processing steps again."

Coming back to topic to save money on child birth, I am still open to hear new options for Quebec.
Again, your app will go back to "In Process" if you add your child, so it is not considered an extension.

R

rish888

Not sure if some of these people considering moving to Quebec so they can have their birth covered might need csq. Don't know their situation enough and am not an expert in the Quebec immigration system. Would say that all provinces that provide paternity care immediately are aware that others move to their province for insurance coverage so expect your account to be watched pretty carefully so they can recover costs if possible.
No need for a CSQ. I called up RAMQ the other day for something else and they said they only need a CSQ if your CoPR indicates Quebec as the province of destination.

RAMQ needs the CoPR+passport to apply for health insurance. Maternity-related costs are covered from day one. Ofc the usual 6 month residence rule applies.

Reactions: KKalra17
R

rish888

It's not really "saving money." All the amount of money you'll be giving to Canada in tax over the coming years (Canada's tax rates are second only to the Scandinavian countries) will eventually cover whatever Canada has spent on you and then some. As the saying goes, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Of course the various benefits and services offered by the government is amongst the best in the world.