+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnancy and Child birth costs Montreal Quebec.

vechappell

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
So I guess my title is pretty self explanatory really. I am wanting to know if anyone knows either from experience or has seen information of the costs of having tests/scans etc during pregnancy and also the costs of actually giving birth. I am aware that having a midwife or doula at home is far cheaper than going to hospital but ball park figures are greatly appreciated.

So for 9 months of pregnancy including birth what would the total be?

lyn28

Star Member
Aug 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2011
AOR Received.
04-02-2012
Med's Request
31-08-2012
Med's Done....
31-08-2012/Oct 13, 2012 on ecas
Interview........
06-12-2012
LANDED..........
06-12-2012
hi, i gave birth here in montreal on april 2012 at no costs, while under a temporary resident visa. I actually had a midwife and gave birth at a birthing center along plamondon. When I got pregnant, my health card from calgary was expired, and i didn't have health card from quebec yet, so I went to a gyne for first check up (confirmation of my pregnancy), they charged me $100, and he said the following check ups are going to be the same. Luckily, I found Maison Bleue along plamondon, they offer free routinary check ups, the only thing I had to pay was my laboratory tests and ultrasound (which i decided not to have one). There's only 1 lab test i did, blood test ($120).

here are the option they gave me for giving birth:

jewish: you have to deposit $10,000.00,
lasalle hospital: around $2,000.00
birthing center: $850, luckily, they waived my bill,
at birthing center no epidural, all natural, It was very good experience for me, so if you're not on a high risk and have no health card yet maybe it is god for you :).

shekhawatmx

Star Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dubai UAE
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22 May 2009
File Transfer...
16 june 2009 from CIO
Med's Request
26 aug 2009
Med's Done....
8 oct 2009 at mumbai INDIA
Passport Req..
17 feb 2010 by email
VISA ISSUED...
22 march 2010 got pp back on 29 march 2010
LANDED..........
20 Aug 2010
well regular delivery cost 5 to 6 k and if C section then 10 to 12 k but pregnancy related charges are covered under health insurance by RAMQ in waiting period.
i suggest you approach RAMQ and apply for health insurance(if ur eligible ),they will issue the letter with no ABC0000 etc which is enough to avail free checkup and pregnancy related expenses.

click on below link for ramq health card.

http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citizens/health-insurance/registration/Pages/eligibility.aspx

btw its very hard to find gyno in Montreal specially when ur 45+ week so i suggest you visit st mary family clinic and they might help you.
if some family dr ready to accept ur case then they will give you letter and you can register urself in st mary hospital.

plz let me know if you need further info,my wife delivered in st mary Montreal last year.

Iwanttoimmigrate

Star Member
Jul 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-09-2013
Med's Request
28-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2014
LANDED..........
17-05-2014
Hi lyn28, vechappell,

My wife is 35 weeks pregnant and we are still waiting for my new work permit so that we can avail the medicare card from RAMQ. Meanwhile we are in touch with private clinic at cote de neiges (who are asking for 3000$ for doctors fees for delivery) and we delivery will be carried out in St. Mary's (asking 8000$ for a 2 day of delivery).

We certainly don't have such amount to pay and thats how I have tumbled upon the option of using Midwives for delivery.

1. Can i get touch with maison bleue at this stage of pregnancy. My wife is extremely fit and we does not have any complications in the delivery.
2. Whats the differnce betn birthing center and giving birth in hospitals?
3. How do they handle complications which may come while in labor? such as caeserian section delivery?

vechappell,

Are you still pursuing the Midwives option? or did you find any alterntive low cost solution for such a scenario?

Any directions will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks.

lyn28

Star Member
Aug 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2011
AOR Received.
04-02-2012
Med's Request
31-08-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
06-12-2012
LANDED..........
06-12-2012
Iwanttoimmigrate said:
Hi lyn28, vechappell,

My wife is 35 weeks pregnant and we are still waiting for my new work permit so that we can avail the medicare card from RAMQ. Meanwhile we are in touch with private clinic at cote de neiges (who are asking for 3000$ for doctors fees for delivery) and we delivery will be carried out in St. Mary's (asking 8000$ for a 2 day of delivery).

We certainly don't have such amount to pay and thats how I have tumbled upon the option of using Midwives for delivery.

1. Can i get touch with maison bleue at this stage of pregnancy. My wife is extremely fit and we does not have any complications in the delivery.
2. Whats the differnce betn birthing center and giving birth in hospitals?
3. How do they handle complications which may come while in labor? such as caeserian section delivery?

vechappell,

Are you still pursuing the Midwives option? or did you find any alterntive low cost solution for such a scenario?

Any directions will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks.
hi, birth centers don't have epidural, all natural birth but they have an ambulance ready whenever there's complications and ready to bring you to a hospital, and that's when you have to pay a huge amount of money. at birth centers Only midwives will assist on the day of giving birth. No screen monitors attached to the belly, no machines or any only a "thing: to monitor the baby's heart. They have bath thubs as an option if a woman wants to give birth on a water bath. They only charge $850, luckily for me, they didn't charge us any. You are allowed to stay 24 hours after the birth, and then if everything goes good, you're free to go home. The midwives will do house visit to check on the baby and the mother for 3-4 times.

Regarding your wife, since you said she's on her 35th week, go to maison blue, try to visit them and tell your situation, like me I was 20 months pregnant when I heard about maison blue, I didn't have health card as I am under visit visa and i am not covered under my husband's (who is canadian) health card. Maison blue took me in, they took care of all my prenatal check ups free, but i had to pay for my laboratory tests. They were suppose to endorse me to jewish hospital, but we dont have 10 thousand to pay for the hospital, so they recommend if I want to give birth at a birthing center and they were able to gave me a spot.

I gave birth april 2011, I was only on my 38 weeks, first baby, luckily, she came out fast, only 3 hours of pushing and groaning. Now everything is doing well, I am in good shape and my daughter is very healthy. That's my story, just want to share and tell you you're not the only people who have situations like this... I met a friend, same situation, no health card, pregnant and she also gave birth at the same birthing center I went.

here's maison blue's add, 3735 plamondon H3S 1L8, tel no. 5145090833. Try to go there and ask for isabelle or bernadete, they may ask a lot of questions regarding our situation but hopefully they will work their magic to endorse you to a birthing center just beside the clinic. By the way i heared la salle is a little bit cheaper, 2500-3000.

Just relax, I have been there, anxious, worried and all emotions are floating in, but once your little angel is out, things are going to be fine, weigh your options... Congratulations! in few weeks time your angel is coming!

canaumex

Sep 14, 2013
Hi, I am a permanent resident but my girlfriend is not. I have no money to pay a hospital to have our baby, what can I do?

vechappell

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
So I gave birth and spent 3000 as this was before I received my Medicare.

2100 was for the Dr to attend the delivery which is paid upfront (at the clinic I was at) the rest of the money paid was Dr visits at 50each and blood tests. The lakeshore general hospital charge 5000 a night this doesn't include any nurse or Dr care this is just for you to be in the hospital.

I would suggest as soon as you are able to apply for Medicare the second you receive the letter saying its in process you are covered for pregnancy and birth.

Also maybe go to the clsc for now as its cheaper than private. And see a Dr and once you get Medicare seek a obgyn. prenatal care shouldn't be neglected a birth centre is good if there are no complications but you could end up in hospital. Not to scare you but to warm you. I had a very standard pregnancy, everything was going great, then baby got stuck his heart rate dropped and the Mrs needed to work fast to get him out.

If you have received your letter of approval you can apply for Medicare.

goldyscorpio

Sep 23, 2013
Hi Lyn28,

There are not even a monitor for the baby's heart?
if any complications for the baby, what will happen? and in your opinion how much does it cost?

Thank you,
Joe

arnoldbrame

Sep 26, 2013
Ask if they can arrange child birth facility at home. Some women can be assembled from the neighborhood who can assist the child birth. That may not cost much.

lyn28

Star Member
Aug 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2011
AOR Received.
04-02-2012
Med's Request
31-08-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
06-12-2012
LANDED..........
06-12-2012
birth centers have monitors for the baby's heart. If there is complications during delivery, then an ambulance will have to bring the mother to a hospital (no health card will cost you between 5k-10k I think).

@canaumex, where are you here in Canada?

Magdalena1983

Oct 24, 2013
Hi guys,
Few questions and would really be thankful if any of you could answer.
My husband is canadian, and i am not, we've been living abroad since we got married and never thought of applying for my immigration. Now i am pregnant and we decided to deliver in canada, Montreal. However i wont manage to apply for immigration since we have no time. We are planning to go to Canada in January with a touristic visa and I'm due in april. Is there a chance of a free child delivery or medical aid while i'm there under a visitor status?
Thanks again,
M

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Magdalena1983 said:
Hi guys,
Few questions and would really be thankful if any of you could answer.
My husband is canadian, and i am not, we've been living abroad since we got married and never thought of applying for my immigration. Now i am pregnant and we decided to deliver in canada, Montreal. However i wont manage to apply for immigration since we have no time. We are planning to go to Canada in January with a touristic visa and I'm due in april. Is there a chance of a free child delivery or medical aid while i'm there under a visitor status?
Thanks again,
M
You'll have to pay for the costs of the delivery yourself. As others have suggested in this forum, the cheapest option is to have a home birth with the assistance of a midwife.

cebuana18

Oct 26, 2013
if you are a permanent resident of quebec and might have pregnancy complications, are the hospital services still free related to pregnancy complications of the patient have to pay?
Thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cebuana18 said:
if you are a permanent resident of quebec and might have pregnancy complications, are the hospital services still free related to pregnancy complications of the patient have to pay?
Thank you
If you are a PR of Canada and living in Quebec, there is a 3 month waiting period for health care after you get your PR but pregnancy and childbirth are excluded from the waiting period so if you are in that situation, you would get the pregnancy related expenses as well as childbirth covered.

October_2012

Aug 19, 2013
Leon said:
If you are a PR of Canada and living in Quebec, there is a 3 month waiting period for health care after you get your PR but pregnancy and childbirth are excluded from the waiting period so if you are in that situation, you would get the pregnancy related expenses as well as childbirth covered.